SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Sage User

Adding or enabling SageTV MPEG Video Decoder with SageTV 9.1.8?

I'm trying to figure out why the "SageTV MPEG Video Decoder" is available on my Sage9.1.8 Server PC, but not my newly created Sage9.1.8 Client PC. I'm having video FWD/REV problems on the "new" Client PC (where I had previously been running SageTV until Windows "issues" lead me to replace the drive and fresh-install Windows & Sage) so I'd like to use the same Video Decoder to see if that helps.

1) Is there a way to make the SageTV MPEG Video Decoder appear on the new Client PC so I can select it? A setting, by copying a folder or files from the other PC, etc.?

2) The "Default" options are confusing (in general) -- what *is* the Default? This applies not only to the MPEG, but all the many other places where "Default" listed. That's like having a "Default Font" in a word processor but no way to see or select what that Default is...

=======================
I'm running SageTV 9.1.8. This is both on my Sage Server Win7x64 PC (upgraded from 7=>assorted 9s, now the latest (as of 12/10/17) 9.1.8) and a Client Win7x64 PC (was 9.16 via an upgrade path, but just has to replace the drive and do a fresh install of 9.1.8). Both PCs have Gigabyte AMD/ATI mobos & graphics.

On both PCs, the Video Render is set to EVR.

On the Server PC, the list of available MPEG2 Video Decoder Filters ("List only the known MPEG2 Video decoders") includes
ATI MEG Video Decoder
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and
SageTV MPEG Video Decoder. == this is the one I have it set to as it's always given me the best results

On the newly installed client PC, the list of available MPEG2 Video Decoder Filters includes
ATI MEG Video Decoder
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and
*but* not the SageTV MPEG Video Decoder one.

Note even if the "Default" decoder *is* the SageTV MPEG Video Decoder, that's not clear. And on my Server PC, with that one selected, I see an additional config line "SageTV MEG Video Decoder uses DXVA (hardware acceleration" Yes/No (I'm using No)); no such setting on the Client PC.

On the Server PC, there are folders "\\TVPC\c$\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\MPEGDecoder" & \SageTV\SageTV...
On the Client PC, there's no \MPEGDecoder folder & files, just the "C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV..." folder
++ I tried copying the \MPEGDecoder from the Server PC to the corresponding folder on the Client PC then restarted Sage, but it made no difference.

I do see in the Sage9 change log:

Version 9.1.7 (2017-09-24)
* Configuration Wizard playback testing/configuration menu uses the "Default" decoder settings instead of SageTV MPEG decoders.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

SageTV v9 does not come with the MPEG decoders. You may either install 7 and then install 9 over it, or install a different decoder, (LAV Filters seem to be popular here).
Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info.

Since I already have v9 installed, is there any way to *just* install the "SageTV MPEG Video Decoder" filter without needing to install v7 then v9 over it again? Even if it's a matter of copying some stuff from my other v7=>v9 install that does show that decoder?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have no clue. I haven't seen any instructions on how to do something like that. I imagine it's a bit more involved than just copying some files around, though.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAWest View Post
Thanks for the info.

Since I already have v9 installed, is there any way to *just* install the "SageTV MPEG Video Decoder" filter without needing to install v7 then v9 over it again? Even if it's a matter of copying some stuff from my other v7=>v9 install that does show that decoder?
No the SageTV MPEG decoder is licensed software and that license is only included with SageTV 7. You have to install SageTV 7 to license it, SageTV being Open Source does not include the required license/activation.

Though I would ask, why do you want to use it? LAV should be better anyway.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage User

"why do you want to use it" -- because it seemed to work well.

I can try the LAV decoder, but it's another thing to try and install. Although at this point so is the older SageTV decoder since I'd have to install the down-rev v7 then reinstall v9.

Thanks for clarifying the status.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Sage User

What's a good place to download the LAV filter & version?

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/lav_filters.htm
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...-Filters.shtml

After the install, will they simply appear within Sage "MPEG2 Video Decoder Filters" list or does something else need to be done?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Sage User

Installed LAV (video) and I'll give it/them a try.

Interestingly enough, Sage still only shows the original three:
ATI MEG Video Decoder
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder

under the recommended MPEG list, with warnings about using others (which the LAV ones fall into).
Old 12-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'm not at home, but it seems like there wad an option to "view all or something one had to select to see the LAV filter options.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Sage User

Yes, there is an option to view all and select the LAVs (as well as many others). But they're not in the "special, safe?" ones otherwise listed.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 PM
SageTVaholic

The "safe" ones were just the ones that had been tested back when SageTV was a commercial product. The filtered list was basically just to reduce confusion. The only reason LAV isn't in there is because no one's gone in and updated the list.