SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Manually-Watched TV Shows Persist ?

After cleaning up my RecordedTV share, I come away with the impression that when/if somebody just watches a show (i.e. it was not scheduled for recording), and then closes it the recording is not automagically deleted and it persists until somebody deletes it.

Does this sound right?

If so, is there a setting.... ?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus (3) 2-tb local drives for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
After cleaning up my RecordedTV share, I come away with the impression that when/if somebody just watches a show (i.e. it was not scheduled for recording), and then closes it the recording is not automagically deleted and it persists until somebody deletes it.

Does this sound right?

If so, is there a setting.... ?

Are you referring to shows watched live from the guide? That setting is Setup|Detailed Setup|Customize|Delete Live TV files when not using Intelligent Recording

If you're using Intelligent Recordings and that's why the show was recorded, I think they may get cleaned up when disk space is needed. Not sure since I've never used IR.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
If you're using Intelligent Recordings and that's why the show was recorded....
Bingo!!!!

Thanks.

I've never used IR either.... maybe it got defaulted when I went to 9, maybe I fat-fingered it, or maybe the other user set it.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus (3) 2-tb local drives for RecordedTV.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey, thanks for asking this question. I just set up Sage for a friend and he called last night to complain about this very topic. He ONLY watches live TV (uses Sage for OTA Program Guide), and since I NEVER watch live TV (that's what Sage is FOR in my book), I'd never experienced the "problem".

Going over to fix it for him today.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapath View Post
Hey, thanks for asking this question. I just set up Sage for a friend and he called last night to complain about this very topic. He ONLY watches live TV (uses Sage for OTA Program Guide), and since I NEVER watch live TV (that's what Sage is FOR in my book), I'd never experienced the "problem".

You probably know this already but it should be said: there is no strictly "Live" TV viewing in Sage.

Instead, when it seems like TV is being viewed live, it is actually being recorded and then rendered from the recording - effectively "Live", but not actually.

The useful part of this is that, if the friend tunes into a show and walks away for 10-15 minutes and then scrolls back to the beginning they will have the option of fast-forwarding at 2-3 commercials (more or fewer depending on how much of the show is already on disk).
Old 08-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

There's also a separate setting to delete live shows after they're done. Be sure to set that. If he wants to keep something, press manual record while watching.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

You really need to educate him on what SageTV/any DVR is for. Why be tied to your couch to watch that Thursday night 9pm show. Set it to record and watch it whenever you like. What happens if he (like me) falls asleep halfway through the show. He'll either miss that rest of that show or have to (shudder) look for it "On Demand".
You can watch Games in WAY less time. Start recording the ballgame and go do something else, or watch something else you recorded. Come back about 1-1/2 to 2 hours later and start watching. Use the FF/skip to jump past all the boring stuff in between plays and you end up just about "live" by the end of the game.
Watch a half hour sitcom in under 20 minutes by skipping the commercials. 2Hr TV movie in about 1:20. Intro him to Comskip. I will NEVER, EVER consider any DVR that doesn't include that, sorry TiVo, Cable DVR, etc.

Halfway through watching a show and Mom calls on the phone, or a friend happens to pop by? Watching live you now miss a bunch of the show, watching a recorded episode, just hit pause or stop and start it right where you left off after the interruption.

Going on vacation, or just out on a date or to dinner with friends? Just set that nights shows to record for you. Heck set up a favorite for shows you always watch and never miss an episode again.

Watching live TV is so 1970's. Due to my working a lot of night shifts I started recording everything back in the 80's. Started with a bank of 3-4 VCR's, then went to multiple ReplayTVs (Think Tivo only WAY better IMHO), and then SageTV with multiple tuners.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Turns out "Delete Live Recordings" is defaulted to Yes on new installs of Sage. It just takes about 15 minutes after ending the show to do the delete. He's happy now that he understands what is going on.

And yes, he's coming around to using the DVR functions. He is 70 years old and definitely old school when it comes to TV viewing.