SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Sage User

SageTV mpeg2 OSD flickering with ATI cards

Hello,

I am using Windows 7 64-bit with the following hardware:

msi H55 motherboard
msi ATI Radeon 4550 fanless + HDMI (video and audio through hdmi)
core i5-750 processor
4GB RAM (DDR3 1333)

The OSD display when watching non high def TV (mpeg2) flickers constantly when I use the 'EVR' mode. I have tried using full screen exclusive and that does not fix it. Changing DXVA on/off does not affect it either. I've tried cyberlink powerdvd 9 codec, ATI avivo codec, and the default sagetv/windows mpeg2 codecs but I get the same results.

The flicker DOES NOT occur when watching high def tv from the hdhomerun.

Turning off animation in sagetv DOES FIX the problem but then the interface looks crappy and WAF decreases.

I am left with the following options:
1) turn off EVR and use overlay mode, and get no transparency on OSD
2) leave EVR / transparency ON, but turn off animation

Neither seems like an acceptable solution to me. I also tried putting in a different ATI card (a 4650) but got the same results. I have tried using catalyst 9.8 9.11 and 9.12 but the results are the same.

Does anyone have any recommendations or is sagetv aware of this issue and working on a fix? Or even worse - is the problem acknowledged but I am just out of luck because windows 7 is not officially supported?

Can anyone confirm a NVIDIA graphics card that is FANLESS with HDMI audio/video that does NOT experience this problem in windows 7 with EVR mode?

Thanks!
-Eric
Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have seen this issue with every 4xxx series card I have tried to use.

I am now using an Nvidia GT240, specifically this one, and I do not have the issue, now possibly this card would be more to your liking.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I picked up a 4670 card over the holidays and I just noticed this same problem when playing back a DVD. Guess since I mostly play HD I haven't noticed until now. Not tremendously annoying and its probably a driver issue which means ATI has to fix it.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Sage Icon

Do you have windows Areo on.

I had a bad tearing problem with Silverlight on Netflix on a Windows Vista 64 build. I found a post that said to turn on windows Areo. It fixed the problem. It also seemed to eliminate the minor tearing in Sage as well. (Vista 64 on a Asrock 780G motherboard.)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

I do have aero on but when I turn it off, I get the same transparent overlay flashing. What's worse is when I used the advanced on screen guide plugin that pops up on the side. When I use that, the screen goes completely white.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

What version of Java are you running? It could be an issue with Java's drawing system. I have never had a problem with 1.6.0_15.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What version of Java are you running? It could be an issue with Java's drawing system. I have never had a problem with 1.6.0_15.
KI see it as highly unlikely that it is an issue with Java. I had a 3650 in my system at one point with no issues, then I tried a few different 4xxx series ATI cards, and they exhibited the OSD flicker issue.

It seems to be a problem with the 4xxx series of cards, my curent Nvidia GT 240 does not have this problem.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Sage User

As far as I am concerned this is basically 100% recreatable.

Take any fresh install of windows 7 (either 32 bit, 64 bit) put it in an ATI 4550 or 4650 and you WILL get flickering in the OSD when watching standard def TV.

I gave up on this one and went with an intel core i3 and I am using the integrated HD graphics on the chip with no flickering so I'm happy now.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Sage User

With any luck somehow this can/will be resolved.

My two primary desktops Vista x64, i7 965, 12GiB DDR3 and ATI HD 4890 are for video stream editing and frankly I'd like to watch my sage recorded stuff (ALL SD) without the OSD flicker.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Vista 64 with ATI 4550 on two different 1080p Plasma HDTVs.

I just watch Band of Brothers DVD and OTA Football playoffs from the HDHR this weekend and I don't seem to have the problem. This must be some kind of configuration issue.

Recent post of my setup:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...77&postcount=2

I don't have the problem with my Windows7 box either but that is ATI 785G.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Sage User

I should have been more specific with the conditions I do see it.. Sorry 'bout that.

I only see it with EVR enabled and the client -- either client to server or the client via having SageTV full on the machine.

Not a major pain for me since I really don't even know what good Enhanced Video Rendering is about. Just sounds better. :P

ATM I have other issues with the client/server arrangement which are more problem than using VMR9.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Sage Icon

I've run two Sage PCs with ATI HD 4xxx cards and haven't seen the OSD flicker issue. Maybe because I have a slightly different setup?

PC#1
CPU = AMD Sempron64 3100+ (Socket 734)
Video = Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP
OS = Windows XP SP3
RAM = 1.5GB
Video Driver = CCC 9.6
Renderer = VMR9 with FSE enabled
MPEG Decoder = ATI or Nvidia PureVideo (used both)

PC#2
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propos with XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 PCIe and Win7 64bit (See my Signature for details)
Renderer = EVR
Video Driver = CCC 9.12
MPEG Decoder = SageTV, ATI, and Microsoft (used all 3)

I have noticed that hardware acceleration doesn't seem very good for MPEG-2 files (HD H.264 video takes less CPU than SD MPEG2 to playback).
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 01-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm getting the exact same issue as all in this thread. It is completely reproducible. I am running windows 7 professional 64 bit and I have an ati 4670 card with catalyst 9.11 drivers. When I watch standard-def mpeg2 recordings or standard-def mpeg4 imported videos using the EVR renderer the OSD constantly flickers whenever it's on the screen. When I use any other renderer, usually VMR9, there is no problem. When I watch HD content, whether mpeg2 recordings or imported video, there is no problem, even using the EVR renderer. I have not noticed that the EVR renderer is any better than VMR9, so for me it's no big deal, but I thought I'd just confirm what other people are experiencing.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Same problem here. Vista 32-bit ATI 4670 card. SD+EVR only. Catalyst 9.12.

Been thinking about upgrading to a ATI 5xxx series card. Anyone having problems there?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Since you asked: Windows 7 64-bit, EVR, and ATI 5770 (Catalyst 9.12) -- no problems with flickering.

Some combinations of mode and decoder do give me weird results like occasional black screen on playback (especially when switching to/from fullscreen) and some stuttering in the animations (but not the video).
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by null_pointer_us View Post
and some stuttering in the animations (but not the video).
Well what we're all talking about is stuttering in the OSD, not the video. For me it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the OSD coming in and out (animations), it's just that whenever it's present on top of video it flickers.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey guys,

I opened up a support ticket for this and was told that SageTV currently does no support Windows 7 but they are working on it. They also suggested that I try the Native Recording patch. I did per their suggestion and I can report one good thing and one bad thing:

Good: I can now use the Win 7 filter for H.264 and it is excellent! Before this, I tried many other H.264 filters and using EVR the scrolling ticker video test was always blurry, smooth but blurry. This new filter produces a very sharp AND smooth news ticker. Unfortunately, I can't use it as a DVD filter. The ONLY filter that doesn't produce a subtle horizontal line effect in DVD's for me is the PDVD7 filter.

Bad: Even with the Native Patch, OSD elements still flicker and when using the Advanced Mini Guide plugin with standard definition shows, the screen still goes completely white.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Yo ushould be able to use the Microsoft decoder for DVD's as well. It IS called the Microsoft DVD-DTV Video Decoder (works for me, at least).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yo ushould be able to use the Microsoft decoder for DVD's as well. It IS called the Microsoft DVD-DTV Video Decoder (works for me, at least).
No, you're right, it works for DVD's but like some other decoders I've used, it produces a picture with subtle horizontal line artifacting that I don't see using PDVD 7 filters.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage Expert

I too have this problem, with a ATI video card and also reported a bug, and Sage also told me they don't officially support Win 7.

I also tried the new (beta) native recording patch. . . still the same thing.

So I just run everything in overlay mode (which is not quite as great), and DVDs in VMR9.

Its not worth changing the video card to Nvidia just for this issue. . .
I'm also not convinced that is a problem with ATI directly b/c other programs work fine. . . more like an issue with Sage and ATI.

That being said, I wish they would fix this. . .
i7 3.33 GHz EE Quad Core+HT, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, ATI HD6870 2GB VRM, 512GB Samsung SSD OS Drive, EVGA SLI x58 Mobo, Win7 Ultimatex64, Gyration MCE Remote, Hauppauge HD-DVR (x3), HD-HR, 2x H21-100, 1x H21-200 DirecTV STBs, 1 SIIG / CyberSerial 4 Port Serial PCI card, 1 PCIex1 Inland/NEC 5 port USB card