SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

SlideShow: Tips & Tricks for Randomizing?

I find the SlideShow tb a killer feature - everybody in the family enjoys watching those old photos when the HD200 is quiesced.

Problem is that "Random" is not really random: certain groups of photos come up way, way, way too often and others never come up at all.

At first I suspected something about directories and subdirectories - so I copied all 10,000 of my photos into a temporary share - totally flat, no directories - just for Sage.

But no joy - it still dwells on certain photos, showing them over-and-over again while not showing many others.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus (3) 2-tb local drives for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna

Last edited by PeteCress; 11-10-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree about the value of the slideshow - it is a great way to get to enjoy your photos.

And I agree with you that they don't seem to be random, but no suggestions on how to fix it here.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage User

ditto here

One of our most favorite features! but sage loves some pictures more than others
Old 11-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Speaking as a non-developer, sounds like someone should open an issue on Github, where the developers will see it. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to do that.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Sage Icon

Looking in the STV, it looks like the randomization is using a Java function:

Code:
           <Action Name="java_util_Collections_shuffle(SlideshowImages)" Sym="OPUS4A-114918"/>
which is:
Code:
java.util.Collections.shuffle
I'm not sure what else can be done to 'help' it be more random.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I agree about the value of the slideshow - it is a great way to get to enjoy your photos.

And I agree with you that they don't seem to be random, but no suggestions on how to fix it here.
I love the slideshow too. The apparent non-randomness has been brought up before and most people thought it really was random but our brains do not see it that way I'm not sure if I agree or not.

I looked into the Shuffle method a little in the past and the developer community all assured me that it really was random.

Oh, I have 54,123 photos in my collection.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 11-12-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I love the slideshow too. The apparent non-randomness has been brought up before and most people thought it really was random but our brains do not see it that way I'm not sure if I agree or not.

I looked into the Shuffle method a little in the past and the developer community all assured me that it really was random.

Oh, I have 54,123 photos in my collection.
To settle this debate, maybe we need a plugin to report on the number of times each picture has been used in the slideshow.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 11-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Looking in the STV, it looks like the randomization is using a Java function:

Code:
           <Action Name="java_util_Collections_shuffle(SlideshowImages)" Sym="OPUS4A-114918"/>
which is:
Code:
java.util.Collections.shuffle
I'm not sure what else can be done to 'help' it be more random.
When is shuffle being called?

If each time you pick an image to display you use a randomization function to select it, you have the possibility to show the same image multiple times in a row (the same way you could get "heads" multiple times in a row when flipping a coin).

If you call it once when the show first starts to create a random sorted playlist, you shouldn't see duplicates during a single show. But each time you restart the show it would be reshuffled and it is possible that some of the same items could come up near the beginning of the list each time.

If you call it once to create a randomized playlist the first time a slideshow is displayed and then keep track of where you leave off so you can resume from that point the next time a slideshow is displayed, you would ensure that every photo is displayed and in random order. Once you got to the end of the playlist, you could shuffle again so the order would be different the next time through.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would prefer to avoid to much randomness ... my ideal conception is:
-> starting at a random startpoint is ok
-> then 5 or 10 (config option would be nice) follow up photos should be shown
-> jumping to a new startpoint afterwards is ok
Chosing a random photo on each transition is a little bit to much randomness for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubdich View Post
I would prefer to avoid to much randomness ... my ideal conception is:
-> starting at a random startpoint is ok
-> then 5 or 10 (config option would be nice) follow up photos should be shown
-> jumping to a new startpoint afterwards is ok
Chosing a random photo on each transition is a little bit to much randomness for me.
The "random = no" setting seems to do that. It picks random sets of pictures and cycles through them. We like seeing a series from a vacation, holiday, etc. I don't know if it's because we file pictures into subfolders. Maybe it's picking random folders.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
When is shuffle being called?

If each time you pick an image to display you use a randomization function to select it, you have the possibility to show the same image multiple times in a row (the same way you could get "heads" multiple times in a row when flipping a coin).

If you call it once when the show first starts to create a random sorted playlist, you shouldn't see duplicates during a single show. But each time you restart the show it would be reshuffled and it is possible that some of the same items could come up near the beginning of the list each time.

If you call it once to create a randomized playlist the first time a slideshow is displayed and then keep track of where you leave off so you can resume from that point the next time a slideshow is displayed, you would ensure that every photo is displayed and in random order. Once you got to the end of the playlist, you could shuffle again so the order would be different the next time through.
It calls the random method once just before the menu is loaded (screen saver or slideshow). The logic is:

- Read the metadata for the photos.
- Randomize them.
- Sequentially display all of the photos in the randomized list.

So if you start the slideshow and wait long enough, all of the photos will be displayed exactly once. When that is done they will repeat.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.