SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2021, 06:32 AM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Updated SageTV Docker images

I've updated sagetv-server-java8, sagetv-server-java10 and sagetv-server-java11.

java7 and java9 can never be updated. Those java versions are no longer available to be downloaded and installed. (likely 8 will follow shortly).

The update fixes the sagetv installation problem (ie, it will now correctly use the new install location and not bintray).

The image also adds in telnet and python (these were requests from others)

UPDATE:
It appears that the Java 8 container is not working for some reason... Getting Java 8 installed was a chore as well, but I got it installed, but sagetv doesn't appear to work. I guess the Java 8 image will have to be deprecated/removed as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 AM
KeithAbbott KeithAbbott is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 1,239
On behalf of all docker users, thank you for your work on this. I'm currently using the java8 docker, so which java version would you recommend migrating to? Or should I stick with the java8 version for awhile, maybe until the bintray/plugin situation is resolved more? Also, any tips on doing the migration? Spinning up a brand new docker involves a bit of work, so any tips would be appreciated.
__________________
Server: MSI Z270 SLI Plus ATX Motherboard, Intel i7-7700T CPU, 32GB Memory, unRAID 6.9.2, SageTV (java11) & OpenDCT Dockers
Tuners: 2 x SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime Cable TV Tuners, SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K OTA Tuner
Clients: Multiple HD300 Extenders, Multiple Fire TV Stick 4K Max w/MiniClient
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 AM
tvmaster2's Avatar
tvmaster2 tvmaster2 is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: tarana
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I've updated sagetv-server-java8, sagetv-server-java10 and sagetv-server-java11.

java7 and java9 can never be updated. Those java versions are no longer available to be downloaded and installed. (likely 8 will follow shortly).

The update fixes the sagetv installation problem (ie, it will now correctly use the new install location and not bintray).

The image also adds in telnet and python (these were requests from others)

UPDATE:
It appears that the Java 8 container is not working for some reason... Getting Java 8 installed was a chore as well, but I got it installed, but sagetv doesn't appear to work. I guess the Java 8 image will have to be deprecated/removed as well.
This only applies to Docker installs, the Java 8 problem etc.? Nice to see you back to help though
__________________
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2021, 12:44 PM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
On behalf of all docker users, thank you for your work on this. I'm currently using the java8 docker, so which java version would you recommend migrating to? Or should I stick with the java8 version for awhile, maybe until the bintray/plugin situation is resolved more? Also, any tips on doing the migration? Spinning up a brand new docker involves a bit of work, so any tips would be appreciated.
I'd start with Java 11 , then Java 10, etc. (ie, newest to oldest). I was running java 11 on my server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
This only applies to Docker installs, the Java 8 problem etc.? Nice to see you back to help though
It applies to Docker installs here... but I suspect that finding and installing any java less than 10 will become harder and harder.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2021, 01:10 PM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
So it appears this is not a problem with the container, but rather, a problem with the latest sagetv linux build. It is built using jdk9 and there appears to be an issue when using jdk9 and targeting java 1.7 or 1.8. (as noted in this issue... https://github.com/lmdbjava/lmdbjava/issues/116)

This is the same error I'm seeing locally. I think the solution to build/compile using java8, but there are probably reasons why I used java9 in the travis file to begin with... but I'm not sure.

To be fair... at some point sagetv needs to be updated to use the latest java (16) and we should drop support for anything < 10.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2021, 02:22 PM
wnjj wnjj is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,455
Jeff recently updated the dist to Xenial and also to JDK9. In the comments to that issue you posted it looks like JDK8 is actually still supported in Xenial. So for short term maybe the answer is to switch back to 8? That’s what others report has worked for them.

I’m not even sure why the dist was changed if trusty is still supported. Dists and jdk versions are all a bit of a mystery to me. For what it’s worth there is a classpath warning when compiling.
__________________
Windows Installer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2021, 02:46 PM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Jeff recently updated the dist to Xenial and also to JDK9. In the comments to that issue you posted it looks like JDK8 is actually still supported in Xenial. So for short term maybe the answer is to switch back to 8? Thatís what others report has worked for them.

Iím not even sure why the dist was changed if trusty is still supported. Dists and jdk versions are all a bit of a mystery to me. For what itís worth there is a classpath warning when compiling.
Yeah, that appears to be the solution (for now) if you still want to support java8.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2021, 08:26 AM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Added Java 16 container

FYI, I added Java 16 container.

At this point, the only containers are Java 8, 11, and 16.

The Java 11 and 16 containers appear to work. BMT works, the SageTV Web UI works, but GSP and JSP do not work, so your mileage may vary.

I think SageTV has no issues with Java 11+ but I think the plugins, specifically the Web UI will need to be redone if you move forward with Java.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2021, 07:24 AM
Striker:WG Striker:WG is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 410
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I took a look on the Unraid app store, but I only see the old Java 7/8/9/10 docker images listed. I don't see the new one for Java 11 or 16.

Are there additional steps required to list these for Unraid?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2021, 08:30 AM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I took a look on the Unraid app store, but I only see the old Java 7/8/9/10 docker images listed. I don't see the new one for Java 11 or 16.

Are there additional steps required to list these for Unraid?
Probably... but, all you need to do is edit your sagetv docker settings and change the java8 to java16 in the repository and name fields, and then apply.

Attached Images
File Type: png unraid-sagetv-docker.png (16.1 KB, 320 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-31-2021, 11:24 AM
KeithAbbott KeithAbbott is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Probably... but, all you need to do is edit your sagetv docker settings and change the java8 to java16 in the repository and name fields, and then apply.

Simple enough change, but if I do that will it still use my existing wiz.bin file, or do I need to backup wiz.bin and then overlay the the new wiz.bin with my backed-up copy? Do any currently installed plugins remain, or do they need to be reinstalled fresh? If I make the change to say, java11, can I go back to java 8 if certain things don't work by just editing the docker settings again, or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm not very proficient on the inner workings of docker containers.
__________________
Server: MSI Z270 SLI Plus ATX Motherboard, Intel i7-7700T CPU, 32GB Memory, unRAID 6.9.2, SageTV (java11) & OpenDCT Dockers
Tuners: 2 x SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime Cable TV Tuners, SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K OTA Tuner
Clients: Multiple HD300 Extenders, Multiple Fire TV Stick 4K Max w/MiniClient
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2021, 02:20 PM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Simple enough change, but if I do that will it still use my existing wiz.bin file, or do I need to backup wiz.bin and then overlay the the new wiz.bin with my backed-up copy? Do any currently installed plugins remain, or do they need to be reinstalled fresh? If I make the change to say, java11, can I go back to java 8 if certain things don't work by just editing the docker settings again, or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm not very proficient on the inner workings of docker containers.
It's likely a good idea to backup anyways, but, in general, all the sagetv files and configuration is stored outside the container, do, changing from java8 to java11 or 16 should not affect your wiz.bin, plugins, etc. They should all remain in tact. I've done this many times without backing up. But of course as soon as I say, "don't back up" something bad will happen and it'll be my fault
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2021, 08:24 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,217
Any ideas if it is likely that other plugins that might not work with the newer java versions? I am mainly concerned about the Jetty server for the web UI - I vaguely remember it being fussy about Java versions.

I guess I can play around a bit as hockey season ended tonight so nothing critical to record for the next little while
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2021, 04:13 AM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Any ideas if it is likely that other plugins that might not work with the newer java versions? I am mainly concerned about the Jetty server for the web UI - I vaguely remember it being fussy about Java versions.

I guess I can play around a bit as hockey season ended tonight so nothing critical to record for the next little while
My guess is that if you are going to have issues it'll be with the web server plugins I did get the server running under java 11 and 16 but some gsp pages and jsp pages failed, but, the basic web server worked ok. BMT also appears to work ok.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2021, 06:24 PM
Striker:WG Striker:WG is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Probably... but, all you need to do is edit your sagetv docker settings and change the java8 to java16 in the repository and name fields, and then apply.

looks like it just started working. I got a prompt on Unraid that an update is available for my Java8 SageTV docker!

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,217
@striker - so did you make that change and everything is working for you? So you are now using Java16 instead of Java 8? And does other stuff, like the SageTV Webserver still work?
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2021, 07:50 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
My guess is that if you are going to have issues it'll be with the web server plugins I did get the server running under java 11 and 16 but some gsp pages and jsp pages failed, but, the basic web server worked ok. BMT also appears to work ok.
What's the best way to back everything up so that I could go back to what I have today if some things don't work? Do I just back up my appdata\sagetv folder, or should I also backup the actual docker itself? If so, how do I do that?
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-2021, 10:32 PM
Striker:WG Striker:WG is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
@striker - so did you make that change and everything is working for you? So you are now using Java16 instead of Java 8? And does other stuff, like the SageTV Webserver still work?
@wayner I have actually not done anything yet. Still running Java 8 in my bintray docker. Waiting for a good time to try the update and see what it does. Just wanted to mention that it appears that the Unraid app store detected that an update was available (or someone made the necessary changes to make the update visible)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-02-2021, 04:06 AM
stuckless's Avatar
stuckless stuckless is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What's the best way to back everything up so that I could go back to what I have today if some things don't work? Do I just back up my appdata\sagetv folder, or should I also backup the actual docker itself? If so, how do I do that?
Not sure how you'd backup the container... but, yeah the appdata/sagetv includes your sagetv installation and configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
@wayner I have actually not done anything yet. Still running Java 8 in my bintray docker. Waiting for a good time to try the update and see what it does. Just wanted to mention that it appears that the Unraid app store detected that an update was available (or someone made the necessary changes to make the update visible)
Unraid detects if there is a newer image, and because there is a newer java8 image it will let know. The problem right now with the java8 image that is there, is that, it will install the latest sagetv linux build (that was one of the fixes), but that build has issues with Java8 So if you upgrade the web UI will stop working. It will work again in java16 but, some parts that rely on jsp/gsp will not work.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 AM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,217
Is there any reason to upgrade? I am not sure that there are improvements that matter to me in the latest version, vs the version that I have installed. I am on 9.2.2 and the more recent changes are mainly to deal with extenders crashing due to certain types of images in the guide. But I almost never use the guide in the SageTV UI, so this bug only affected me when I consciously tried to see if it crashed my system.

I am also running a version of unRAID that is a couple of years old (6.4.1) and upgrading to the latest version also requires a few changes to do what happened with the DVB edition of unRAID.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Docker Containers updated to 1.0.4 stuckless SageTV for unRAID/Docker 30 09-06-2021 09:39 PM
Looking to install SageTV again (Docker, HDHR, SageTV Miniplayer) dinki SageTV Software 1 08-10-2020 06:43 AM
Docker Configuration via Synology Docker GUI Carlton Bale SageTV for unRAID/Docker 15 06-02-2020 12:00 PM
Docker Containers updated to 1.0.3 stuckless SageTV for unRAID/Docker 10 03-20-2018 12:56 PM
Updated Docker Container stuckless SageTV for unRAID/Docker 42 10-31-2016 05:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.