SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
What platform do you run Sage on? I use Windows 7, 32 bit (1394 channel changing). Problem there is that Microsoft stops supporting W7 in January 2020. Not sure what to do about this...

I've ran SageTV 32-bit on Windows 7 for many years up to v7, and I had always wanted to try their Linux version, but never did buy the license back in the day, but now with it all gone open source I was exited to recently learn that I could finally try SageTV server over Linux platform without a license.

So I just built one the other day (on a SuperMicro Atom D525 board) using the latest Ubuntu 18.04 'Bionic' LTS release, and if you use a supported Hauppauge card (seen here: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...ort_linux.html ), Ubuntu supports the Hauppauge / Linux PPA driver install (which makes the driver support install so super easy)...

I mainly followed this tutorial: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63934 to get it going. I didn't use his automated install script as I just did it manually (since I am fairly comfortable using Linux).

But once I got it all running, I find it works really good, same like the Windows worked. I don't even know if it has a local GUI as I never use local, only ever used even the Windows 7 one as a server for my HD300's or Placeshifter... (EDIT: I guess Linux could have a local GUI if you also install the SageTV Client along with SageTV Server)

But it works fine. I also did upgrade my Windows 7 install to be SageTV v9.2.1 64-bit as a test, and it works fine too. But after working with Linux SageTV v9.2.1, I can say it will work fine for replacing the Windows 7 altogether. And the LTS versions of Ubuntu mean they will support it for security updates for 5 years (which is why I only use LTS versions of Ubuntu).

Next thing I might try on the Linux one is to see if I can add the HD HomerunHD Ethernet tuner support. I use the Windows 7 SageTV with the HD HomerunHD currently, and use a local PCIe HVR-1255 on the Linux install right now, and both work great..

Last edited by ojosch; 10-19-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
If each of your machines backs up to a shared directory on a peer-to-peer network, with or without credentials, then you may still be susceptible to a network aware cryptolocker style virus, and you would lose everything.

EDIT: Sorry, not everything, but everything on the infected machine and shared directories on any other machine.
True, but for me at least the likelihood of losing an HD on an individual machine make this method worthwhile. YMMV.

IMHO, if you are backing up to the same machine/HDs as the source then you have almost no backup security.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I think epg_data_sources/*/expanded_until is the setting your looking for. Yours probably got set way into the future and the code compares it to the current time to decide when to update:

Code:
boolean needsExpand = expandedUntil < Sage.time();
Thanks, I'm sure I have that in my stack of printed out messages from here for situations I've run into over the years.

Luckily everything is working fine on that machine now. EPG is good, upcoming recordings via Favorites, and even Intelligent Recording (yes, I'm probably one of the few that use it) are looking good.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
IMHO, if you are backing up to the same machine/HDs as the source then you have almost no backup security.
Absolutely agree. I recommend that folks back their systems up to an external hard drive that is completely disconnected (and offsite) once the backup is verified complete. Those cryptolocker malware/viruses are deadly.