SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Sage User

WAS: So long and thanks for all the fish.

So I was a BeyondTV convert when I switched to CableCard tuners quite a few years ago. Now Optimum has sounded the death of my Sage recording with adding DRM to my locals as of February. Was definitely a good run for sure. I'll place Sage into Archive mode and continue watching my previously recorded shows but new stuff will apparently be a mix of streaming and PlayOn desktop recordings. Sad.

Last edited by bnflaherty; 01-17-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:04 AM
Sage User

I had to look you up in the snapstream forums. I use to be a beyondtv person also. I found you replying to a post I made in 8-9-2005. You were part of Tech support. Sorry to hear you are leaving. I guess I will stay as long as my system still has cable card. I know my time is limited.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

When you say they added DRM to your locals, do you mean you can no longer record them even with the cable card? So they have set the CCI flag to copy once on the locals?
Old 12-18-2021, 10:50 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
When you say they added DRM to your locals, do you mean you can no longer record them even with the cable card? So they have set the CCI flag to copy once on the locals?
Adding.. hasn't happened yet still have until February. Based on some searching they've done this change in other markets and it sounds like Adding DRM to all or at least the locals - disabling the ability for me to record from. Wait and see? I'm not hopeful.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Are they actually using DRM or just not having them completely open?

Cablevision/Optimum recently (sometime in the last few months) changed things such that I can't use the clear QAM tuners for any channels, including OTA locals, but cablecard still works for them so far.

As part of that, I switched the last of my clear QAM tuners to record OTA from my roof-top antenna.
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:16 AM
Sage User

I had to drop all my clear QAM tuners ages ago - sucked. It's hard to say exactly what they will do -- I'm going to have to see what happens once the change goes into effect, either I lose all channels on the Prime or some or none? I'd love to do OTA I could bring my HDHRs back online but my location doesn't appear to be workable.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

As long as they leave most of the channels as copy-freely, then renting a cable card (or two) is a small price to pay for continued use with HDHR Prime and SageTV.

I'm am really missing comskip on live (or delayed watching) television with other DVR packages.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

There are still options without CableCard. Many of us have been using HD-PVRs for about a decade. That needs a box with component out, but there are also HDMI options. Certainly more awkward but very doable.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:45 AM
Sage User

Well aware of cable box recording -- been using a Colossus 2 to capture a cable box. Had HD PVRs but had to stop using them due to the "purple banding" issue -- they worked great prior to that problem surfacing - which I never got fixed.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:40 PM
Sage User

So beginning of the week decided to perform some testing. Purchased a few HDTV antennas .. hooked to my two HDHRs that I was able to locate.. and bingo got some OTA channels. Despite what AntennaWeb's recommendations were these seem like they will do the job. Will add them to Sage once my NAS issue is sorted out and press on.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Optimum

Yes - same here with Optimum and clear QAM , thats gone but depending on your location and OTA strength, the picture quality is excellent. For the remaining subscription channels, I use WMC live tuning through two HDPVRs and the quality is pretty good. This setup allows me to continue with Sage which has so many other benefits it make it worth the trouble.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnflaherty View Post
Well aware of cable box recording -- been using a Colossus 2 to capture a cable box. Had HD PVRs but had to stop using them due to the "purple banding" issue -- they worked great prior to that problem surfacing - which I never got fixed.
Okay, then I guess there is only one thing left to say

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE
Old 12-25-2021, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

To make things clear, a few of us here are part of the unofficial SageTV retentions department. It's been a pretty rough decade.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:41 PM
Sage User

This is a good day to express my thanks to the SageTV retentions department. I check this site every day, but I rarely post because my simple but important Sage system has been running perfectly over the span of 14 years and 3 computers. Thanks,, and well done everyone.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hear hear! Love my Sage!
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Really thankful for the developers that worked on Sage even after 2010, and for the few that stuck around right to present day. You guys really stretched Sage's legs over the past decade.

... and much thanks for keeping the forum going.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:52 PM
Sage User

On the "retention" angle I just resuscitated a desktop wmc install with a higher quality encoder to achieve flawless (albeit stereo) access to CCI channels.

Restored foxnews reliability and improved PQ over using a xbox based extender!

Go Team(s)!
Primary Client: VM W10x64 with GPU Passthrough
Old 12-27-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Cheers to the Sage 'retention' Dept! Cant ask for more- working perfectly! - 4 OTA tuners - 2WMC 'tuners/cablecard Prime' - with FireStick /Android app being constantly improved, I can access from anywhere. No subscription fees except Schedules Direct (worth every penny), and besides access needed for premium channels but overall I am not complaining and most importantly, neither is my wife.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:26 PM
Sage User

I've been a SageTV user since V7. Always OTA, I've been through lightening strikes, high water, NFL blackouts and SageTV has absolutely been the best piece of entertainment software I've ever had the privilege to use. Way ahead of it's time. It still entertains me and my spouse everyday(an incredible run). And while I am Thankful For All The Fish, I'm an enthusiastic user until OTA disappears.

GO Retentions!!

Bob
Old 01-01-2022, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
To make things clear, a few of us here are part of the unofficial SageTV retentions department. It's been a pretty rough decade.

This was tongue-in-cheek, there really is no retentions department. Well, except for the few of us die-hard users that try to convince everyone to stick around.