SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
SageTV has always been able to play embedded subtitles in MKV ... I do not know why it won't play on the ShieldTV. The Problem is with Closed captions.
I hadn't realized it worked at all because it doesn't work on my SageTV client (PC) nor on Shield TV. In my house it's the exception not the rule.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Android tablet which runs Mini Client?

Can anyone recommend an Android tablet which has the ability to run the Mini Client AND mainstream VPN services? My Amazon tablet does run the Miniclient, but does not have the proper core elements to allow VPN services to be installed and run.

I don’t want to get into rooting a tablet either, for the meantime at least.

The Amazon Fire tablet lacks “tun.ok” drivers, and the Android store drivers available don’t work, so, no VPN with Amazon.

What other Android tablets DO have NATIVE, tun.ko support for VPN services?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Can anyone recommend an Android tablet which has the ability to run the Mini Client AND mainstream VPN services? My Amazon tablet does run the Miniclient, but does not have the proper core elements to allow VPN services to be installed and run.

I donít want to get into rooting a tablet either, for the meantime at least.

The Amazon Fire tablet lacks ďtun.okĒ drivers, and the Android store drivers available donít work, so, no VPN with Amazon.

I have a 2021 Amazon 10" Fire tablet that works fine with Wireguard.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I don’t want to get into rooting a tablet either, for the meantime at least.

The Amazon Fire tablet lacks “tun.ok” drivers, and the Android store drivers available don’t work, so, no VPN with Amazon.

Have you looked at the Fire Toolbox tool? It it a easy to use GUI that allows you to add/modify the software on the Amazon tablets. It does not require that you root the device either. Using the toolbox, you can easily add the Google services that are missing. If that doesn't fix the missing software itself, I suspect it will allow you to install the missing software at that point.

https://www.xda-developers.com/amazo...-fire-tablets/

I've used it on all my Amazon tablets and it is great for removing the "lock screen ads" as well as adding the Google services and removing the unwanted Amazon apps.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-16-2021, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

thanks everyone, should have been more clear - NOTHING from Amazon.

My main VPN service has requirements which their tablets can't be relied on for.

Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2021, 02:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Have you looked at the Fire Toolbox tool? It it a easy to use GUI that allows you to add/modify the software on the Amazon tablets. It does not require that you root the device either. Using the toolbox, you can easily add the Google services that are missing. If that doesn't fix the missing software itself, I suspect it will allow you to install the missing software at that point.

I've used it on all my Amazon tablets and it is great for removing the "lock screen ads" as well as adding the Google services and removing the unwanted Amazon apps.
But thanks, I'll give this a try - getting rid of the lock-screens would be nice though
Old 11-17-2021, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

REMOVING LOCKSCREEN warning: since you removed your lockscreens, have you been chastised, harassed or denied service in anyway from Amazon? That warning Fire Toolbox throws up when you're about to remove the lockscreen seems fairly ominous....
Old 11-17-2021, 08:15 PM
Sage User

The android miniclient runs great on my Chromebook. That could be an option.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayto View Post
The android miniclient runs great on my Chromebook. That could be an option.
Iíve got one, if need be. The portability of a tablet is my main need, for casting to tv, room by room
Old 11-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
REMOVING LOCKSCREEN warning: since you removed your lockscreens, have you been chastised, harassed or denied service in anyway from Amazon? That warning Fire Toolbox throws up when you're about to remove the lockscreen seems fairly ominous....
Never. I have had 4 Amazon tablets that I have used this toolbox with and never had any issues from Amazon. I still use 2 of the devices regularly - the other two have been turned in to Amazon through their "recycle" program.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 11-22-2021, 07:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Never. I have had 4 Amazon tablets that I have used this toolbox with and never had any issues from Amazon. I still use 2 of the devices regularly - the other two have been turned in to Amazon through their "recycle" program.
okay, thanks. I take it you got the same warning of doom?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
okay, thanks. I take it you got the same warning of doom?
I honestly don't recall that "warning", but it very well may be because I simply ignored it and went on about my business. I routinely root my Android phones, etc where these types of warnings are standard but harmless and are only "CYA" in nature. I'd expect the warning while using the toolbox to be similar.
OpenDCT