SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD-300 - unusual failure symptoms

A couple days ago, my HD-300 stopped working.
Normal steps of restarting the HD-300 and the server didn't help.
The HD-300 would boot to the internal menu, and show my server name in the list, but blanked the video output and become unresponsive when it tried to connect.

I got out my backup HD-300 and hooked it up. Same result exactly. I replaced the HDMI cable thinking a failure there might cause the the video loss at the mode switch into 1080p. No help.

I looked in the HD-300 system information page, and noticed the IP address was 0.0.0.0.
Yet the Sage server was listed as available in the HD-300 menu. Interesting - the server name must be sent with a broadcast packet, and is received even without an IP. Other devices on the network were all fine. Link lights on HD-300 and switch good. Tried other ports on the switch. Swapped the Ethernet cable. Rebooted the DHCP server just in case. Changed the HD-300 to static IP. No effect.

Running out of options, I started thinking of what I hadn't replaced. The HD-300 power supply. It's deeply embedded in the mess of wiring and hard to access so it wasn't my first reaction to change it. I swapped out the 12V 2A wall wart, and everything worked again. Wow!

I've never seen a power supply failure that would exhibit itself by only affecting the networking, but there it is.

I hope this helps someone else.
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I frequently have this problem when the power to my house “flickers”. I do the reset procedure of unplugging ethernet, unplugging power, plugging in power, waiting for SageTV logo, plugging in Ethernet. That resets it every time.

I wonder if a new wall wart would help prevent this from happening.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

Without knowing more about your network, it is hard to help with the debugging. What does your DHCP service? Can you connect to that box and get a list of users? Can you watch video from another PC using VLC or Plex? Have you tried connecting the HD-300 at some other point n the network? Directly to the switch?

I’ve seen problems like these when I had a bad switch, but the HD-300 could connect and failed when interacting with the UI..
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5

Last edited by fidget; 02-08-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Without knowing more about your network, it is hard to help with the debugging. What does your DHCP service? Can you connect to that box and get a list of users? Can you watch video from another PC using VLC or Plex? Have you tried connecting the HD-300 at some other point n the network? Directly to the switch?

I’ve seen problems like these when I had a bad switch, but the HD-300 could connect and failed when interacting with the UI..
This has been happening for years. Three different houses, 3 different network configs, none of them complicated. It’s definitely a problem with the HD300. I’m not sure if it’s hardware or firmware, but something causes the Ethernet to stick in a non-self-recoverable state after rapid power loss/recovery.

Original discussion from 2014: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=9

Last edited by Carlton Bale; 02-09-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale View Post
This has been happening for years. Three different houses, 3 different network configs, none of them complicated. It’s definitely a problem with the HD300. I’m not sure if it’s hardware or firmware, but something causes the Ethernet to stick in a non-self-recoverable state after rapid power loss/recovery.

Original discussion from 2014: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=9
I was thinking that, too, until you said that your backup HD-300 also had problems. When I had problems, I could connect to the server, but they remote button presses were being dropped and video wouldn’t play. When I took the 4 port switch that was between the wall and my HD-300 out of the loop, the problem went away. Unfortunately, you aren’t getting that far..

Have you tried running Wireshark on the server to see if you see an connect attempt from the HD-300? Go with a hard coded up address and subnet mask just to be safe. Wireshark will show you the connect attempt as well as who might be breaking the connection.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the feedback, all. To recap, I did solve the problem with a new power supply. That was the supply with my backup HD-300, so now I need a new power supply for the backup.

Looking on Amazon and elsewhere, it is hard to identify a quality supply. I was thinking about getting an open-frame unit, but even those are questionable quality and unknown suppliers.

Can anyone recommend a quality power supply? I'm thinking if the original was 2A, I want 3A or more to put it under less stress.
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've been having similar problems with my HD-300, where it would connect to the server and display the list of recordings, but not respond to the remote after that. This last time, I rebooted my Netgear extender that provides the hard network connection to the HD300 (didn't fix it) and then changed from static IP to DHCP in the HD-300 'Settings' menu. Once it found a new IP address things started working normally.

Before I changed to DHCP, the HD-300 and the router agreed on the static ip address.
Network: Gb Buffalo Router, Gb 8-port Netgear Switch connected to Server, HD-200, NAS, HDHR, Prime, LAN
Playback: HD-200, Server to HDTV; Emby for off-site playback
Tech Level: Hobbyist