SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Sage User

Converting, Burning and ComSkip?

I'm a sageTV owner and have been happily using it for some time

The only time-consuming part that I would like to improve, is that I have to convert the MPEGs created by SageTV into a nice small file-format, and then burn them onto DVDs (after I organize them)

At present, I use DrDivX or TmpgEnc Express, which allow me to select files and encode them in a satisfactory manner, but they are user-intensive.

What I would ideally love, would be a system that took the oldest file(s) on the system and converted them according to a standard set of filters (producing the same quality as DrDivx) and then deleted the old, large one, leaving the small one conveniently for me to burn onto a DVD and put away. I would like this process to trigger each night after I'd gone to bed, so it woudln't be in the way when I was awake and wanting to perhaps use the Media Center, or record shows.

Does anyone have a practical solution for how to do this?

Also, I'd be muchobliged if someone would tell me what "ComSkip" is.. I hear a lot of buzz about it on the forums, but I've never been able to figure out what it is or how to get my hands on it. Does it automatically clip out commercials somehow? That would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Sage Expert

There is an 'auto-compress' plug-in for the standard UI which I think will do what you want.

Comskip examines the file for commercial breaks and stores the information in separate files which SageTV can read and either manually or automatically skip commercials. It is a separate program which is called either by SageTV, ComSkipMonitor, or (my fav) DirMon2. It can use up a lot of CPU time, so you'll want to limit it if that's a problem. I have it running on what I'm recording now so it can start skipping commercials even before the show is finished recording.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Give MediaShrink a try. Drag and drop simple. Here's the thread:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ht=mediashrink
Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to use the SJQ (Sage Job Queue) plug-in to have it choose the oldest recordings and run them through mediaShrink.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac321 View Post
Give MediaShrink a try. Drag and drop simple. Here's the thread:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ht=mediashrink
MediaShrink is whole piles of awesome.. I'm playing with it now, I just wanted to let you know =)

Tags
burning, comskip, conversion, dvd