SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-17-2017, 06:08 PM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
All the people I know that call themselves cord cutters, still have internet, and that internet ends up being their primary source of media. Whether it's things like netflix or such, or illegal sources.
I don't consider that being a true cord cutter that just video steaming.
Cord cutting simply means canceling any all of your Pay-TV service, Then switch over to free air broadcast signals only that id the true mean to Cord cutting.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
Internet only IS 'canceling all of your Pay-TV service'.
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 PM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Internet only IS 'canceling all of your Pay-TV service'.
But still true cord cutter mean even things no services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video as that is still a pay services and yes know about the other ways too but soon even that will not be an option once they start add data cap.
That way I can't*do it because of data cap even know I have 2 other option but there less then 6Mb here which is to slow for other in the house hold not count the grand kids BooHoo.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Monedeath Monedeath is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
But still true cord cutter mean even things no services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video as that is still a pay services and yes know about the other ways too but soon even that will not be an option once they start add data cap.
Actually, many of the initial "cord cutters" replaced cable with Netflix/Online services. So it remains consistent with early usage. People may have given it other connotations since, but Netflix, Hulu and other online streaming services have always been part of that mix since it "became a thing." The cord being cut was to the CableCo/Satellite TV provider.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:56 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,373
@SHS - You are being far too literal about cord cutters. If you want to take it to the extreme cord cutters won't have any electricity so they can't do any of this stuff.

As others have mentioned, Cord-cutters is generally taken to mean people who have cancelled cable or satellite and replace that with online streaming or downloading shows from other sources.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Tiki's Avatar
Tiki Tiki is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Southwest Florida, USA
Posts: 1,992
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
@SHS - You are being far too literal about cord cutters. If you want to take it to the extreme cord cutters won't have any electricity so they can't do any of this stuff.

As others have mentioned, Cord-cutters is generally taken to mean people who have cancelled cable or satellite and replace that with online streaming or downloading shows from other sources.
All this time I thought cord cutters were elite Canadian lumberjacks who cut a cord of wood per day.
__________________
Server: Ryzen 2400G with integrated graphics, ASRock X470 Taichi Motherboard, HDMI output to Vizio 1080p LCD, Win10-64Bit (Professional), 16GB RAM
Capture Devices (7 tuners): Colossus (x1), HDHR Prime (x2)
,USBUIRT (multi-zone)
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,373
We are getting awfully close to breaking into Monty Python sketches.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:44 PM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
But the true Definition when this all got started was.
Cord cutting refers to the process of cutting expensive cable or satellite connections in order to change to a low-cost TV channel subscription through over-the-air free broadcast through antenna.
Not all this other Beeswax that some people keep add on top of it.

Netflix, Apple TV and Hulu and some of the popular Video On Demand services that encourage cord cutting but some how they manage to get the Definition chance to suit there needs as it is not what I call the true meaning to Cord Cutting.

Now we have Sling TV, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, or Joe's service down road even know it some what cheaper it not same as free solutions that was mean be for Cord cutting.

It may shock you but there are people out there that have no electricity wayner or do but it is know as Off Grid Living.

Any way that how view it and see it.

Last edited by SHS; 01-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Taddeusz Taddeusz is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
But the true Definition when this all got started was.
Cord cutting refers to the process of cutting expensive cable or satellite connections in order to change to a low-cost TV channel subscription through over-the-air free broadcast through antenna.
Not all this other Beeswax that some people keep add on top of it.

Netflix, Apple TV and Hulu and some of the popular Video On Demand services that encourage cord cutting but some how they manage to get the Definition chance to suit there needs as it is not what I call the true meaning to Cord Cutting.

Now we have Sling TV, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, or Joe's service down road even know it some what cheaper it not same as free solutions that was mean be for Cord cutting.

It may shock you but there are people out there that have no electricity wayner or do but it is know as Off Grid Living.

Any way that how view it and see it.
Sorry, but cord cutting by definition is the divorce of traditional paid tv services such as cable or satellite for other sometimes paid services and/or OTA broadcasts. For most people the term doesn't mean also getting rid of wired internet service. While cellular internet service in urban areas is getting closer to and sometimes just as fast as wired service it is quite a bit less reliable and the terms of service don't generally lend itself to being used as a primary internet connection. Much stricter caps on cellular data service being the primary problem. As humanity moves more towards a wireless world this is going to have to change. But this is what we have now.

So, your definition of cord cutting is unrealistic and unreasonable given the current environment. People want to watch what they want to watch without the strings of cable or satellite TELEVISION services. Has nothing to do with INTERNET service.
__________________
Server: i5 8400, ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM, 16GB RAM, 15TB drive array + 500GB cache, 2 HDHR's, SageTV 9, unRAID 6.6.3
Client 1: HD300 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia 65" 1080p LCD and optical SPDIF to a Sony Receiver
Client 2: HD200 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 1080p LCD
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Taddeusz Taddeusz is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Netflix, Apple TV and Hulu and some of the popular Video On Demand services that encourage cord cutting but some how they manage to get the Definition chance to suit there needs as it is not what I call the true meaning to Cord Cutting.
Sure, you're trading one paid service for another but consider the costs. In total my family was paying almost $200/mo for our cable package while already paying for Netflix and Hulu. We got rid of our cable TV and phone and kept internet service. That lowered our bill by over $100/mo. The only thing we added was SlingTV which we get a discount on for being T-Mobile customers. So overall we reduced the cost of our media consumption by about $85/mo or $1020/yr. That's not insignificant.
__________________
Server: i5 8400, ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM, 16GB RAM, 15TB drive array + 500GB cache, 2 HDHR's, SageTV 9, unRAID 6.6.3
Client 1: HD300 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia 65" 1080p LCD and optical SPDIF to a Sony Receiver
Client 2: HD200 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 1080p LCD
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 AM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Much stricter caps on cellular data service being the primary problem. As humanity moves more towards a wireless world this is going to have to change.
I hate tell this but min ISP both Landline and Fix/Cellular Wireless maybe in*the works of re-adding back lower data caps.
Like my ISP CableONE, AT&T, CenturyLink with 300GB and min other, Haven't you been paying close attention to what go on with FCC ?.

Last edited by SHS; 01-19-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Taddeusz Taddeusz is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I hate tell this but min ISP both Landline and Fix/Cellular Wireless maybe in*the works of re-adding back lower data caps.
Like my ISP CableONE, AT&T, CenturyLink with 300GB and min other, Haven't you been paying close attention to what go on with FCC ?.
That may be but things will need to change as consumers need more data. People won't put up with expensive overages.
__________________
Server: i5 8400, ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM, 16GB RAM, 15TB drive array + 500GB cache, 2 HDHR's, SageTV 9, unRAID 6.6.3
Client 1: HD300 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia 65" 1080p LCD and optical SPDIF to a Sony Receiver
Client 2: HD200 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 1080p LCD
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-20-2017, 07:41 PM
blade blade is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I hate tell this but min ISP both Landline and Fix/Cellular Wireless maybe in*the works of re-adding back lower data caps.
Like my ISP CableONE, AT&T, CenturyLink with 300GB and min other, Haven't you been paying close attention to what go on with FCC ?.
My ISP has recently begun advertising how they have no data caps. I've never heard anyone complain about being capped by my provider. They offer 100 mbps, 1 gbps, and 10 gbps and that's both upload and download speed. I would think if my ISP were limiting people with a cap some people would have hit it by now and be calling the ISP out on their claim. I'm not saying other providers are not capping data, just pointing out that not all of them are.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,373
@blade - You can get 10 Gbps bidirectional internet! Where do you live and who is your ISP?
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Taddeusz Taddeusz is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 3,919
Cox Cable here has a soft data cap but to my knowledge they don't enforce it unless you constantly are grossly exceeding it.
__________________
Server: i5 8400, ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM, 16GB RAM, 15TB drive array + 500GB cache, 2 HDHR's, SageTV 9, unRAID 6.6.3
Client 1: HD300 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia 65" 1080p LCD and optical SPDIF to a Sony Receiver
Client 2: HD200 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 1080p LCD
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Taddeusz Taddeusz is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 3,919
I looked it up and our monthy soft cap is 1TB. According to their graph we've only gone above 500GB once. The rest of the year was well below that.
__________________
Server: i5 8400, ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM, 16GB RAM, 15TB drive array + 500GB cache, 2 HDHR's, SageTV 9, unRAID 6.6.3
Client 1: HD300 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia 65" 1080p LCD and optical SPDIF to a Sony Receiver
Client 2: HD200 (latest FW), HDMI to an Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 1080p LCD
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-21-2017, 10:29 PM
blade blade is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
@blade - You can get 10 Gbps bidirectional internet! Where do you live and who is your ISP?
I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee and my ISP is EPB. The 10 gbps is a relatively new option and is very pricey right now ($299 a month). The 1 gbps was first offered in 2010 for $350 a month and is now $69.99. If enough customers sign up for 10 gbps (not likely anytime soon) the price will begin to decrease.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee and my ISP is EPB. The 10 gbps is a relatively new option and is very pricey right now ($299 a month). The 1 gbps was first offered in 2010 for $350 a month and is now $69.99. If enough customers sign up for 10 gbps (not likely anytime soon) the price will begin to decrease.
WoW and 10gb is kind of bit of pricey I take it your run a business ? as there really no need 10gb and don't*fell bad with Cable ONE 1gb is like that now very pricey with*data cap of only 500MB man talk about rip off but it not fiber cable and if I had option of any I want I take Google Fiber over all them.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM
blade blade is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
WoW and 10gb is kind of bit of pricey I take it your run a business ? as there really no need 10gb and don't*fell bad with Cable ONE 1gb is like that now very pricey with*data cap of only 500MB man talk about rip off but it not fiber cable and if I had option of any I want I take Google Fiber over all them.
I only have the 100 mbps myself, but hope to upgrade my router soon and switch to 1 gbps.

The $299 10 gbps is actually for residential customers only. The 10 gbps business plan is much much more expensive ($1,500 - $9,000 depending on the size of the business).
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM
GrantEdwards GrantEdwards is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

Silicondust DVR (near RC status): no traditional episode guide, no
remote access, no commercial skip, bad UX (which counts as a feature)
What is a "traditional episode guide"?

I got curious and went looking at the Silicondust web site. The info
on the DVR service is amazingly vague. It talks about how you don't
need an "always on PC", but it never talks about where the recording
app is running. Presumably it's on the HDHR itself?

You obviosly have to provide some sort of storage, but I couldn't find
any specs. I don't see a USB, eSATA, or Firewire connector on any of
the HDHR models. The only interface seems to be Ethrnet, so it must
need some sort of SMB/NFS NAS (which is a type of "always on PC" in my
book, but I don't speak very good marketese).

Unless they're doing Ethernet-attached-SCSI...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SageTV V6.4.2 Public Beta is Here! Narflex SageTV Beta Test Software 3 05-13-2008 08:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.