SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD300 Wired, Server Wireless

I have a Sage TV and two HD300's. All three devices are on wireless connections. I've got a HD movie which I've tried playing on the server and it will play if the movie is local, but not if it's on my NAS. When I say it won't play I mean it pauses every few seconds.

Tonight I ran an Ethernet cable to one of the clients and tried to play the same movie thinking that should work. The movie resides on the NAS also plugged into the same router as the client. Yet I still get stuttering. Does the Server actually pull the movie over the wireless and then re-send it to the client therefore using the wireless connection? Does this mean each client actually uses 2x the bandwidth of a movie (ie 80Mbps) at the server for a Blue Ray?

If that's the case Gig-E is gonna be the only possible solution for the server as two clients could choke up even 100Meg Ethernet.

Other:
Mitsubishi 65" DLP
5.1 Speakers on a Kenwood Receiver - Digital SPDIF
Harmony 1000
Old 04-15-2011, 01:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch5 View Post
Does the Server actually pull the movie over the wireless and then re-send it to the client therefore using the wireless connection?
Yes. In extender mode, all content is streamed through the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch5 View Post
Does this mean each client actually uses 2x the bandwidth of a movie (ie 80Mbps) at the server for a Blue Ray?
No. On wired ethernet, transmission and reception happen on separate pairs and can proceed in parallel without competing for bandwidth.

That said, gigabit equipment is cheap so there's really no reason to limit yourself to a 100 Mbit network.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Yes. In extender mode, all content is streamed through the server.

No. On wired ethernet, transmission and reception happen on separate pairs and can proceed in parallel without competing for bandwidth.

That said, gigabit equipment is cheap so there's really no reason to limit yourself to a 100 Mbit network.
So if I understand correctly, for HD200/HD300s in extender mode, when you watch something it'll go from the NAS to the SageTV Server, to the Extender.
Therefore, if you have something on the SageTV Server chewing up resources, it could impact playback on the Extender even if the file is on the NAS.

Last edited by graywolf; 04-15-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I personally wouldn't worry about CPU or ram usage, I'd be more concerned with Hard Drive usage and possibly bandwidth. Case and point, I'm running Handbrake CLI on all 6 cores of my machine, 2 instances of comskip, recording 2 HD shows via a HD homerun and watching HD tv on 2 hd 300's along with an idle placeshifter without any hiccups what so ever.

Last edited by Korny; 04-23-2011 at 10:28 PM.