SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpass View Post
Sky UK now has 3DTV channel 270 - so does my new HD300 box support 3D blue ray or broadcasts?
I'm wondering about this also. Can someone tell us if the HD300 support 3D output (or will it with a future firmware update)?

Sorry if this was already answered in an earlier reply, but there was a lot of off-topic discussion about 3D in general so I'm not sure if there was an answer somewhere in there.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrd View Post
Can someone tell us if the HD300 support 3D output (or will it with a future firmware update)?
Not gone into 3D yet myself. But looked at the spec sheet for the Sigma SMP8654. It has the following paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma
3D video support
Generic side-by-side and top-bottom output
RealD (side-by-side output)
Sensio (side-by-side output)
Also Google'd a little and found this paragraph from an AnandTech review of Western Digital WDTV Live Hub:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandTech
The first demo I saw after our initial talk was that of a development board decoding 3D video onto a 3D TV. Excitedly, I peeked into the board, expecting to see the new SMP 8646 in action. However, I was surprised to see that it was the SMP 8654 on it. Upon inquiry, I found that a recent SDK had enabled decode of certain 3D formats with that chip (similar to how PS3's HDMI 1.3 port was 'fimrware upgraded' to partially support HDMI 1.4). Realizing that it was the same chip that powered the WDTV Live Plus, I was left wondering when a firmware update with the new SDK would reach the WDTV Live Plus owners.
If this translates to a possibility in the HD300. Do not know. Could be hardware implementation limits independent of the SMP8654 chip. Or licensing issues. Those interested should put a support request to SageTV to get some kind of answer.
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, this at least means it can combine two images to a single side-by-side image - but whether it can decode H.264/MVC or not, i'm not sure.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a test .ts file from Sky 3D. It plays the two images side by side on my HD100.

Has any one got a 3D TV to test it on? Might head off to my local 3D tv store with my HD300 to test it

Dean
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 AM
SageTVaholic

The vids like Sky3D's already encoded side-by-side should definitely work (you'll have to manually put the tv into Side-by-side mode). What is questionable is whether the H.264/MVC codec that is used to represent the two full frames on a 3D BluRay would work.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
I have a test .ts file from Sky 3D. It plays the two images side by side on my HD100.

Has any one got a 3D TV to test it on? Might head off to my local 3D tv store with my HD300 to test it

Dean
Top bottom/side by side both work on the HD300 but you need to flip the TV into the appropriate mode for it to render correctly.

I haven't tried 3D BD yet (try to remember to check it out tonight) but I'd guess that the HD300 would decode it in 2D because that's how it's supposed to handle it.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Right, if it DOESN'T support decoding MVC, than it will end up decoding just the full-frame (left eye), and display that, throwing out the 'extra' Multiview packets. Maybe we'll all have to get he HD400 to get 3DBD support... or... an cheap i3 client... ;-)

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I downloaded a bunch of 3D side-by-side clips from http://www.biohemmet.se/ and from this thread on the avsforum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251626 . I added them to my video library and they all play great on my HD-300 and my 3D TV as long as I set the TV manually to side-by-side mode. I'd love to be able to convert the bluray 3d movies that I own to side-by-side so I could play them via sagetv. There are some programs out there (on biohemmet.se for instance) but I haven't had any success converting yet.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

You could probably do it with avisynth. IIRC 3D BDs just have (or appear to have) two sets of m2ts files, one for each view.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You could probably do it with avisynth. IIRC 3D BDs just have (or appear to have) two sets of m2ts files, one for each view.
Not quite. They arne't two separate m2ts's, its added information in the same m2ts. They use H.264 MVC (MultiViewCodec). It is a set of data that basically make sp a 'difference map' from the main stream... so the main stream contains the left eye, and then a difference map is used to make the right eye image from that. These extra packets, being optional extensions to H.264, are ignored by non-MVC capable decoders, so normal BluRay players will see just a normal single image. I do beleive there are some MVC capable decoders out there that people have used in avisynth to re-composite the images into a number of different formats.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Side-by-side is working great for videos I've managed to source online. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised to find that subtitles in .SRT files do not display properly. The subtitle is displayed by SageTV but SageTV doesn't know that the TV is in side-by-side mode and so the subtitle gets chopped with half going to the left eye and half to the right eye. I don't imagine there's an easy fix for this but I'm all ears if anyone has an idea.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not quite. They arne't two separate m2ts's, its added information in the same m2ts. They use H.264 MVC (MultiViewCodec). It is a set of data that basically make sp a 'difference map' from the main stream... so the main stream contains the left eye, and then a difference map is used to make the right eye image from that.
Right, but from my reading on AVS, there's some file system trickery that makes them appear as two separate M2TS files. When you rip one of these BDs to a folder structure, you end up with a rip that's double the size.

I think this is the thread I was thinking of:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277978
Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Right, but from my reading on AVS, there's some file system trickery that makes them appear as two separate M2TS files. When you rip one of these BDs to a folder structure, you end up with a rip that's double the size.
Took a look at the thread you link to. Interesting. As you say they are doing some "FileSystemMagic" on the Blu-ray to visualize the "difference" data as a separate file. Even though that file does not exist as a normal file. So if ripped as two separate files, it might end up being bigger than an ISO rip, depending on size of mainmovie vs. extrastuff on BD. Hmmm, tricky future for 3D rips. Anyway, see that one of the major players have following release notes in latest release:
Quote:
* New: Added "Blu-ray 3D Ripper" option.
* "Blu-ray 3D Ripper" option converts Blu-ray 3D title to left/right (side-by-side) or top/bottom MKV/MP4/AVI/WMV files which can be played on 3D display device.
So options are getting into the more mainstream products. Well, not in a hurry myself. I still enjoy the primitive 2D flicks And if I evaluate a 3D TV/LCD in the future, it will be more for gaming than films.
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I have owned a 3D tv for almost 3 years now, and have also used it primarily for gaming (which is awesome, I might add) - but having seen a couple 3D BluRay's (including a big budget sci-fi blue alien flick) that were really well done, I can definitely see me purchasing a couple extra pairs of glasses in the coming months.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Not excluding 3D films altogether. The ones filmed with 3D in mind can work, like your "Revenge of the Smurfs" sample But what I wonder about is: Will the complexity of making a good movie, independent of 2D or 3D. Together with having to master making right shots / angle / filming / and so on in 3D, be so difficult that few master to do both right in same movie? Making the number of good 3D movies too small. From reading about it, it looks like good 3D movies are drowning between bad ones. Although the animated ones gets it right usually. But they have the luxury of making both 2D & 3D "virtually filmed" with different camera positions. Future will give the answer

But 3D gaming, that I'm looking forward too. If only someone could get their act together and produce a PC LCD 120Hz with higher resolution/size than 1080p/24" or larger. Still waiting for that one. Or give me high-resolution VR-glasses with head-tracking and support in games. Technology is there, just make & implement it. Please
Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM
SageTVaholic

For the record, I didn't spend anything 'extra' really for 3D. (well, i spent about $100 on two pairs of glasses and the IR emitter). 1080p DLP sets don't really need to change anything to the optics to do 3D, because of the way they've been doing their checkerboard wobulation for years. All they had to add for '3D' sets, was the IR emitter tied to the wobulation rate. I was then able to use it great for 3D games, which was great.. until EA decided to stop releasing Madden for PC's. Now, all it's really good for is the 3D movies, of which, like all things involving movies, about 10% are good - 20% are watchable, and the other 70% are crap. 3D doesn't change that split any.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm View Post
Side-by-side is working great for videos I've managed to source online. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised to find that subtitles in .SRT files do not display properly. The subtitle is displayed by SageTV but SageTV doesn't know that the TV is in side-by-side mode and so the subtitle gets chopped with half going to the left eye and half to the right eye. I don't imagine there's an easy fix for this but I'm all ears if anyone has an idea.
Well I figured out a way to get subtitles to work. Side-by-side is tricky, but if the video is recorded as top/bottom format, then SRT subtitles display in at least a legible format. Actually, the subtitle is sent to only one eye, but its readable and sufficient for the above-mentioned 'blue alien' flick.

Thanks to voidpt for mentioning the new 3D bluray conversion features now available in some programs.. I managed to convert some of my 3D blurays to side-to-side and top/bottom MKV. Only took about 5 hours per flick. The SUB files have to be converted to SRT. Actually I downloaded SRT files and they worked fine. Only drawback is the subs aren't 3D or displayed in the original font.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, those would be great... but my TV doesn't support side-by-side format...

Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Sage Icon

Just got an Epson 3D projector and I'm looking for clarification of how to get srt subtitle files to display correctly, or at least legibly, through my HD extender...
Can someone help me out with this?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just got in to 3d this year myself as my old 60 hz monitor needed replaced so I bought a 3d ready monitor and later added a pair of the Nvidia Active Shutter glasses and was really surprised to see the huge difference between active shutter 3d and the old anaglyph mode I was used to seeing on the old 60 hz monitor

The difference was like night and day. Also if your looking to buy a 3d ready monitor , unless your buying a whole new pc many places don't carry them in the shop and they have to be ordered. At least that was the case around here as I called a ton of local stores and none of them had one to sell locally.

Mind you that the active shutter glasses are expensive as heck too but since I am the only one watching the 3d content , I did not have to buy more then 1 pair.

The monitor was great with my nvidia card and the 3d kit as the brightness increases by itself when playing 3d movies and dims when not playing them automatically.

One bad thing is getting web content in 3d to work well with my setup as the 3dvisionlive stuff sometimes works and sometimes not as I would love to get it working all the time but have no clue how to do that since this is my first time playing with real 3d not using the red/blue lenses I was so used to

I also ewww and awww when I am watching 3d like someone mentioned and still do it as it still surprises me how much the technology has changed since my old days of watching stuff like the creature from the black lagoon on tv with those paper lenses

Tags
3dtv, avatar, three-d