SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

3D in Sage?

So new TV's are coming out that support 3D. Panasonic is launching tomorrow apparently. I'm in the market for a new TV and though I'm not sure how much I'll use 3D, I'll probably go for a 3DTV so I'm ready just in case. Will SageTV support 3D formats (both broadcast and blu-ray)? Will it only work with a PC client for now since new extender hardware would likely be necessary with the new HDMI standard?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Lots of 3D TV hype today... http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...=2547-1_3-0-20
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

There's nothing really 'new' here. All that's really changed is that the BluRay group has finally gotten around to standardizing how to store stereo on bluray. There have been a number of 3d capable sets for years, and the only way to play back 3D to them NOW is from computer, so I'm betting it won't be a problem going forward.

Also of note, there is a GREAT stereoscopic player software at www.3dtv.at (oddly enough called 'Stereoscopic Player) that works with pretty much any display on the market, and any input format. In fact, all the 'smarts' of it are actually already wrapped up in directshow filters, meaning integration with sage shouldn't even be all that difficult. I just built up some graphs in graphedit to test the filters and they work great on their own. Just have to get some way to get sage to use them.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-10-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been thinking about posting the same question, but never got around to it. This is an interesting short read from engadgetHD including info about how DirecTV will be broadcasting 3D:

HD 101: The difference between sequential and side by side 3D

I'm hoping Dish will pick up 3D broadcasts before too long, because I use Dish with R5000 modded boxes.

If the broadcasts are side-by-side, I don't imagine the codecs would even be different, but you'd have to "flip a switch" on the TV to let it know it's receiving that kind of broadcast.

What I wonder though is how resolution and refresh rate is going to work. All my pc client's output at the TV's native rez and refresh, i.e. 1080p@60 or 1360x768@60. For a 3D TV that will probably have to be 120hz. But the videocard doesn't really output exactly 60hz, it's off a little bit. In fact, I have to use reclock to get nice studder free playback.

I think all these slight clock corrections could get messy. It could be even worse for sequential instead of side-by-side.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Also, there is no requirement for a different HDMI system to play 3D. The HDMI 1.4 spec simply added some auto-configuration features that would make configuration simpler (since different type sof displays require a different format of input). the PS3 is 3d bluray capable, and it doens' thave 1.3... that said, I don't know if the HD200's codec can decode the MVC video used in 3D bluray.

Either way, I'm sticking with a PC client, where I know 3D works (even if it just takes launching an external app). I know nvidia has been working with all the major decoder players to ensure they will support MVC in their players (Arcsoft, etc).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

my afore mentioned stereoscopic player software can seamlessly playback sources in any formats (interleaved, interlaced, side-by-side, over-under) into whatever format your set requires (interleaved, interlaced, checkerboard, even analglyph for old-school red/cyan glasses).

Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not getting excited until there's more 3D content
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

well, there's plenty of 3D content... every month or two another major movie is released in 3D. This has been the case for a couple years now. The problem is there's been no standard for home distribution, so when the DVD/BluRay is released, it's a flattened version (or worse, an analglyph one). Now that the standard is out, I'm quite certain they will be re-releasing a lot of blurays for already produced 3d movies.

Just some examples from the last 2 years:
Beowulf
U2-3D
Hannah Montana
Bolt
My Bloody Valentine
Coraline
Monsters vs. Aliens
Up
Ice Age 3
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
G-Force
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Final Destination 4
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Alice in Wonderland

Upcoming Releases:
How to Train Your Dragon
Clash of the Titans
Shrek - Forever After
Toy Story 3
Oobermind
Disney's Tangled
Tron Legacy
Beauty and the Beast (Disney Rerelease in 3D)

Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
well, there's plenty of 3D content... every month or two another major movie is released in 3D. This has been the case for a couple years now.
How much of that can you watch in 3D at home? Which is the point, 3D in Sage, or any other home player is pointless if there's no content available in a home release format.

Quote:
The problem is there's been no standard for home distribution, so when the DVD/BluRay is released, it's a flattened version (or worse, an analglyph one). Now that the standard is out, I'm quite certain they will be re-releasing a lot of blurays for already produced 3d movies.
Like I said, I'm waiting for content. The existence of 3D content is of no use if there's no way to get it. And frankly I'm not all that excited anyway. Avatar was interesting, but not "must have" (maybe the theater was screwed up or something, I don't know).
Old 03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Avatar was interesting, but not "must have" (maybe the theater was screwed up or something, I don't know).
I agree. I also saw U2 3D a couple of years ago and after about 15 minutes of ooing and awwwing I was annoyed by the 3D (they were seen in different movie theaters so it wasn't a case of bad 3D theater). Since our eyes/mind can differentiate between depths of images in a 2D movie screen, why do we need 3D? Besides, who really wants to sit down in front of their TV and throw on a set of glasses to watch?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm not getting excited until there's more 3D content

what stanger, count floyd doesnt supply enough 3D for you??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_2fQ5LC70
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Besides, who really wants to sit down in front of their TV and throw on a set of glasses to watch?
My feeling exactly.

I did see a demo some years back of a handheld 3D TV that worked without glasses. Basically they interleaved the two images on alternate vertical pixels of the display, with a shadow mask in front so that one eye saw only odd-numbered pixels and the other eye saw only even-numbered pixels. You had to hold the thing in exactly the right spot for it to work, but when you did, it was pretty cool.

Though obviously that's not going to work for a group of people sitting in random spots relative to a shared display. I guess you could set up two screens side by side and have everybody cross their eyes.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not saying it makes sense for every day viewing, and I'm not saying it's worth paying a LOT extra for. For me, I got my set for the set, not for the 3D. it just happens to have the 3D capability, which is great. I payed something like $150 for the IR emitter and two sets of glasses. I have since used the 3D mostly for playing video games, though I do also have some short films shot in 3D by guys who know how to do it right, and the effect really is amazing (I have a skydiving video from Eric Deren that is simply amazing to watch).

Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Besides, who really wants to sit down in front of their TV and throw on a set of glasses to watch?
Umm... anyone who is near-sighted? ...which is about 3/4 of the US population, about 50% of which actually wear glasses. So, I don't think having to put them on to watch 3D TV is that much of a stretch.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Umm... anyone who is near-sighted? ...which is about 3/4 of the US population, about 50% of which actually wear glasses. So, I don't think having to put them on to watch 3D TV is that much of a stretch.
In this case you are throwing a second set of glasses on for this. Which if you ask my wife (who wears glasses, I wear contacts), is even more annoying.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In this case you are throwing a second set of glasses on for this. Which if you ask my wife (who wears glasses, I wear contacts), is even more annoying.
If this "3D thing" does take off, I'm sure you'll be able to get prescription glasses, as well, just like you can get prescription diving/snorkeling masks. Heck, Lens Crafters may even start offering them in trendy styles. But, my intent was to point out that many people already "throw on a set of glasses to watch TV", so it's not as far-fetched as it may seem.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

That'll be great, $300 3D glasses
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
If this "3D thing" does take off, I'm sure you'll be able to get prescription glasses, as well, just like you can get prescription diving/snorkeling masks. Heck, Lens Crafters may even start offering them in trendy styles. But, my intent was to point out that many people already "throw on a set of glasses to watch TV", so it's not as far-fetched as it may seem.
Speaking as a nearsighted person who wears glasses, I do not "throw on a set to watch TV." They're on my face already, every waking moment, and I have zero interest in swapping them out for a set of prescription 3D lenses when I sit down to watch TV. (I don't wear sunglasses either, for the same reason: it's just not worth the trouble of carrying a second pair and swapping them every time I go outside.)

I don't think I'm an extreme case, either. Most nearsighted people I know who wear glasses wear them all the time. They don't keep them in their pocket until they have a special need to see clearly; that's more typical of farsighted people who need glasses for reading.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I suppose I wasn't thinking about those near-sighted (thanks for the correction... can't believe I screwed that up) folks who are required to wear glasses all day. I used to wear glasses (prior to laser surgery), but hated them so much I had them off most of the time around the house. Eventually, I wound up wearing contact lenses during the day and glasses in the evening when my eyes needed a rest. So, in both of those cases I was familiar with, it wouldn't have been a stretch to put on a different set of glasses. But, I do understand where others are coming from.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Sage Icon

I also wonder about the polarized lenses... will you have to sit up perfectly straight to see things clearly? In other words, if you tilt your head will they still give a clear 3-d image? Perhaps it wouldn't matter with the LCD shutter style glasses...

I ask because I have polarized prescription sunglasses and if you look at many LCD displays (digital watches, GPS's, etc) while wearing them, tilting your head will cause the polarization in the glasses to cancel with the polarization in the screen and make the screen appear dark.

I like to lay on the couch while I watch TV - often with my head sideways. I think I would get tired of 3D real quick if I had to wear two pairs of glasses and sit up perfectly straight in order to "enjoy" it.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250

Tags
3dtv, avatar, three-d