SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Sage Icon

SageTVService Maxes Out CPU Resources When Stopping a Show

I've noticed on my server that SageTVService CPU goes sky high for at least 10 seconds but only when I stop a show. It does not happen when I start a show or do anything else.

My wiz.bin file is about 25 megs so I don't think that's anything unusual. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

I have an AMD 3800/X2 Dual Core processor with 3 GB RAM.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Sage Icon

I timed this and the CPU resources are maxed out for 20 to 30 seconds (sometimes longer) when I stop a show. Sometimes there are random blips also when watching a show which stutters the sound and video but it always happens when stopping a show. What could be causing this - it's a long standing issue that is driving me crazy?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Sage Icon

No answers, but I have seen the same (or similar) thing going back as far as I can remember, through multiple server builds and multiple versions of Sage (I've had 3 different CPUs, 4 different motherboards, 4 different video cards, 3 different sets of RAM chips, many different hard drives, Windows XP and Windows 7, multiple installs of multiple versions of Sage).

What I can say is that the with faster multi-core CPUs, the delay has gotten much less noticeable, since it only pegs one core at 100%. Basically, I've always seen the Sage Service peg one core at 100% for a few seconds whenever starting or stopping playback. With a single-core CPU, this was enough of a disruption to cause corruption in recordings from my HDHomerun (but it never affected recordings from my PVR-150s). Not long after I got the HDHomerun, I upgraded to a quad-core CPU and those problem went away.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Sage Icon

I'm going to try that as I do have a new quad core AMD but you said a few seconds. How about 30 seconds? This to me just seems terrible.

I thought perhaps Nielm's multi-stop plugin might have been causing the problem (since it always appears when stopping a video) but even when I removed the plugin and just used the Sage xml with no plug ins the problem persists. The only thing I can suspect is that there is something in the wiz.bin file doing this. I wish Sage had some kind of "database clean up" for wiz.bin or something that might make everything more efficient.

Mike
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
I'm going to try that as I do have a new quad core AMD but you said a few seconds. How about 30 seconds? This to me just seems terrible.

I thought perhaps Nielm's multi-stop plugin might have been causing the problem (since it always appears when stopping a video) but even when I removed the plugin and just used the Sage xml with no plug ins the problem persists. The only thing I can suspect is that there is something in the wiz.bin file doing this. I wish Sage had some kind of "database clean up" for wiz.bin or something that might make everything more efficient.

Mike
When I was using a single-core Sempron 3100+ CPU, yes it would peg my CPU at 100% for anywhere from 5-30 seconds when I hit "stop" and I couldn't do anything else. With my current quad-core CPU, when I hit stop, it stops playback and returns me to whatever menu screen it goes to in anywhere from instantly to ~1 or 2 seconds. It's been a while since I monitored my CPU usage during that time, but if I recall correctly, one core will still peg at 100% (so overall looks like about 25-30% CPU usage) for a while (maybe 10-20 seconds).
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Sage Icon

Well - I just got a Quad core AMD / 3 Ghz processor and it is definitely faster. I still see the spinning circle sometimes for a few seconds on the Sage clients but it's not as often or as long. I'll see the task manager on the server spike to as high as 50 percent (two processors in full use) but only for as long as maybe 5-10 seconds at the most which is definitely better than 30 seconds.

I don't like the idea of trying to solve what I consider a big problem by throwing extra CPU power behind it. I'd rather get down to the root of the problem. All I can surmise is that it is something in the wiz.bin file but I'm not 100% positive but when I throw a fresh test copy of wiz.bin the problems go away. It still always spikes when I stop a show. It's a mystery but for now things are more tolerable with the new server.

Mike
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Sage Icon

The Quad core is better but it is still maxing out CPU resources now at as much as 55% on my quad core CPU when stopping a show and sometimes when clicking on Sage Recordings the circle just spins before it actually shows what is there. What is it doing? What can I do to speed things up?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Sage Icon

ANYONE? Could the wizbin file cause CPU resources to max out like crazy? What can I do?

Mike
Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Sage Icon

UPDATE - I've sent a tech support ticket to Sage TV as I'm stumped. This problem has existed for a long time and it always happens with I stop a show. The CPU resources on my Quad Core AMD 3 GHZ spike to as much as 60% for 20 seconds every time I stop a show. Then if I try to go to the guide or do something I get the spinning circle for a while. Sometimes I'll get it anyways but I'm not sure what the problem is.

Mike
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Sage Icon

Wow - things sometimes go from bad to worse. I've sent Sage Support a tech request a few days ago and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me. In the meantime my entire server crashed so I rebooted it and the moment it rebooted it just "froze" and crashed again. Finally I went into safe mode and found that the wiz.bin file seemed to be making it crash. I'm not sure why but I copied the wiz.bak file to recover wiz.bin and all is OK again. I'm still having bad the same bad CPU spikes for unknown reasons but I think it is related to wiz.bin. I would think there would be some kind of repair/clean routine for wiz.bin.

Still frustrated....

Mike
Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Wow - things sometimes go from bad to worse. I've sent Sage Support a tech request a few days ago and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me. In the meantime my entire server crashed so I rebooted it and the moment it rebooted it just "froze" and crashed again. Finally I went into safe mode and found that the wiz.bin file seemed to be making it crash. I'm not sure why but I copied the wiz.bak file to recover wiz.bin and all is OK again. I'm still having bad the same bad CPU spikes for unknown reasons but I think it is related to wiz.bin. I would think there would be some kind of repair/clean routine for wiz.bin.

Still frustrated....

Mike
I guess as a test, you could try removing wiz.bin and forcing Sage to build a new one (shut down Sage completely, including the service, then rename your wiz.bin and wiz.bak to something else, then re-start sage). Or, if you really want to be safe, you can back-up your whole Sage folder.

Sage will make a new empty wiz.bin (it won't have a record of what shows are your favorites, what you've watched, or what it has previously recorded). You should be able to watch a show and see if you still get the same CPU spike when you stop. If the problem goes away, you will have confirmed your theory that it is related to wiz.bin and will be able to give Sage support more to go on.

When you are done testing, just shut down Sage again, delete the new wiz.bin and wiz.bak that were created, and rename your backed-up files to wiz.bin and wiz.bak again.
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage automatically makes a wiz.bak, so rename the wiz.bin to something else. Also rename the wiz.bak or else Sage will use it when it fails to find the wiz.bin.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure you don't have a hard drive getting ready to go? Some of the symptoms you are mentioning reminds me of some of the things you may see when the hard drive is getting ready to fail.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Sage Expert

I seem to be having the same problem. I do not have high CPU usage but Sage is using 1.2 GB of memory whenever I notice the problem. I don't have time to investigate it right now but I have to restart Sage every other day to keep it running correctly. My spinning circle happens when I go into my recordings. I sometimes have waited for 5 minutes for the recordings to appear. Sometimes it is so bad, I cannot restart the service. I have to hard boot the server.

I was going to try the wiz.bak mentioned here but the file is dated from yesterday. Doesn't make sense to do that if I had the problem yesterday too. However, while looking at the files I noticed that there was a wiz.corrupt0 and wiz.corrupt1. The corrupt0 was from August and the corrupt1 was from end of October when this first started happening.
Server: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz, 1333FSB), Asus P5B Deluxe MB w/Gb LAN, 4GB AData RAM, WHS, PVR-500 (NTSCx2), HDHomeRun x2 (4 QAM), HDPVR x2, 6.7 TB data pool, Comskip/SJQv3, HD200x3, SD-MVPx2
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

I experience the same thing.

When I stop a playback I'll get either one of these results:

1) (Common) SageTV closes as normal, no problem
2) (Also Common) SageTV closes but it takes a long time to refresh the page (I see the SageTV circular disc rotating indicating it's thinking for a good solid 10 seconds or longer)
3) (Uncommon) SageTV crashes to desktop

Windows XP/latest version of SageTV 6/Intel Core i7/3Mg RAM/nVidia GTS 450
Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Sage Icon

I'm REALLY GLAD that others are having this problem (not really but it might help to get this thing resolved faster). GPlasky - it's DEFINITELY NOT a hard drive issue. I've replaced them all and that has not resolved the issue. I even upgraded to a QUAD CORE with a completely new server and so the spinning circle continues only now it might be 20 seconds of high CPU usage instead of 40 seconds.

I'm still working with Sage Support to try and resolve this. They are looking into this and I still suspect it has something to do with wiz.bin but I'm not sure yet what it is. I have a LOT of recordings in both Imported and Sage recordings so I'm not sure if many others have this amount or not and if that is related to the problem.

I have 600 GB of compressed videos in my library using 84 days (2000 hours) of content. used for Imported videos at this time. I have about 4 TB used for my Sage Recordings which is about 1600 hours (at about 2.5 GB/hour) in Sage recordings. I'm not sure if this much video would cause a problem but my wiz.bin is only around 20 megs.

All the hard drives are fine. Almost all the time the CPU resources are at almost zero or one percent usage until a Sage Recording is stopped or Sage Client is started or once in a while in Sage just moving around and that spinning circle on the client tells me SageService is doing something again. But, the problem isn't the client because on my computer workstation I can look at the task manager and nothing goes sky high but it does on my server. The mystery continues. I'll let you know when Sage Service gets back to me with a solution.

Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Sage Expert

Mine is a memory issue. After a few days I experience the same behavior at the clients but I know it is due to memory. Sage must have a leak. 300-400 MB when I first start the service. 2-3 days later it is at 1.2 gb. When I let it get that far, it's too late for a restart. I have to shut down the server with a hard reboot. My quad core may spike but when I look at it to find the problem, it's barely moving. I cannot run Mediashrink on my server as it gives me an out of memory error. This is why I think it is memory.

I too have a large wiz.bin due to size of my library:
wiz.bin size: 41 MB
Used Video disk space: 4 TB
Video Content: 38 days worth
Used library disk space: 1.5 TB
Library content: 21 days worth

I am also contemplating that this could be a plug-in. I am slowly removing them but no luck so far.
Server: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz, 1333FSB), Asus P5B Deluxe MB w/Gb LAN, 4GB AData RAM, WHS, PVR-500 (NTSCx2), HDHomeRun x2 (4 QAM), HDPVR x2, 6.7 TB data pool, Comskip/SJQv3, HD200x3, SD-MVPx2
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

I don't think mine is a memory issue at all because EVERY time I stop a show the CPU spikes for an extended period of time and it does not matter when SageService is started.

Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sounds like it is reading and writing to the Wiz.bin and it's a fairly large process. Have you tried tweaking the Java Heap Size? The size of your library could be part of the issue or like someone said your System hard drive could be having an issues. Make sure it's not in PIO mode and slowing everything up.

I looked but didn't' see the OS you are running. That could cause some issues. I ran Sage on XP and had to reboot almost daily because of flaky behavior. Moved to WHS and haven't rebooted in a while. (Windows patches only)

Another thing you could try is backup your wiz.bin files. I believe you can use the Web interface to export video info and watched info and try renaming the Wiz.bin/bak and then have sage make a new one. Once that is created import the saved settings and see if that has any affect.

Should be fairly painless as long as you remember to back up your files.