SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR Experience

Just wanted to pass this along incase it might help someone else.

I have been using my HDPVR with Sage for a very long time 2 years maybe. It has been 99.9 percent reliable. I would get a lockup maybe once every 6 months. Basically it just works and works well. This old server was Windows 7 and using the HDPVR driver version 1.0.5.301...which is old.

However, this past weekend I built a new Sage Server (i7,etc) and started having lockups with my HDPVR. The new server is also Windows 7. I checked the driver that Windows installed for the HDPVR and it was the latest version...1.5.7 I believe. Several times a day, it would lock up...either during a recording...or when attempting to start a new recording.

I decided to put the older 1.0.5.301 driver back...and it has been 100% since. I recorded tons of shows the last 2 days..and it is back to how was before.

As a side note, when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 last year...I remember the exact same issue...Windows installed the latest driver...which gave me problems....and had to revert to 1.0.5.301...and it has been perfect the last year on that version.

Now I don't record 5.1 from the HDPVR...but thought someone having issues might want to try the older driver version just to see if it helps. The fact that this is a brand new Sage Server with new cpu/memory/motherboard/etc...seems strange how the latest driver still gave me issues.

Just wanted to pass along in case it might help others.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Gibsonpa,

Interesting I just purchased a new HDPVR and am also having issues although mine are a little different.
I have not had any lockup problems but I am having issues where SageTV work with no problems for at most a week and then the HDPVR is no longer available as a tuner. I had been successful at just doing a reboot and all was well. Well it happened again today and now I have tried to reboot, re-add it in setup, Etc but it is no where to be found. At this point I think I will need to completely redo the setup?

Have you run into this or similar problem?
Any Suggestions?

Regards, Jeff
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hello Again,
I just reinstalled the HDPVR Drivers and Program and now its working again. Seems like a driver is getting deleted or corrupted and reinstalling works. I have had to do this a few times but noew seems to be a continueing issue?

Regards J
Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

You might want to try the older drivers...just to see if you issue gets any better or worse. It helped in my experience.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you were using SageTV from version 6 (or older) it has helped to remove the sage.properties file and backup and let Sage rebuild it. It takes a little bit of time and you have to update your channel lists, uninstall all your plugins and re install. But there have been a handful of us that have experienced good results once we let Sage rebuild the properties file.

Another thing to note, when you are updating the drivers, make sure sage is not running (service mode shutdown as well and disabled for the reboot). Run HWClear from Hauppauge. Reboot. Install all your Hauppauge device drivers with HD-PVR driver last. Power cycle the HD-PVR's, they seem to need this to update the firmware. Reboot. Rebuild your Sage properties file using the detailed setup screens. I followed this process and have had very solid HD-PVR's for weeks.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post
I decided to put the older 1.0.5.301 driver back...and it has been 100% since.
Those older drivers have worked for a lot of us. I was getting horrible audio-sync and eventual HD-PVR lockups constantly with newer drivers, then I went back to the 1.0.5.301 and everything is great.

Supposedly the very latest HD-PVR drivers fix the audio sync issue with Dish boxes (which is what I have), but I'm not changing anything unless I have to.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Those older drivers have worked for a lot of us. I was getting horrible audio-sync and eventual HD-PVR lockups constantly with newer drivers, then I went back to the 1.0.5.301 and everything is great.

Supposedly the very latest HD-PVR drivers fix the audio sync issue with Dish boxes (which is what I have), but I'm not changing anything unless I have to.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
That version sure has worked great for me as well. I even have Dish and have not experienced any audio sync. It is rock solid.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you all for the suggestions. I still have it running on 1.5.7 think thats the latest. I'm with you sometimes the newest isn't the best! I'm Going to revert back to an older driver and give it a try.

Thanks Again, J.