SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Sage User

MediaMVP unable to detect previous

I am using Hauppauge Media Extender. The TV screen shows the correct computer name. But when I continue, I get the message: "MediaMVP is unable to detect your previously saved server on the network!" I have rebooted the computer to no avail. How do I resolve this?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Sage User

Can someone help me?

I've been without SageTV for over three weeks. Can someone help me?

I am using Hauppauge Media Extender. The TV screen shows the correct computer name. But when I continue, I get the message: "MediaMVP is unable to detect your previously saved server on the network!" I have rebooted the computer to no avail.

How do I resolve this?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Sage Expert

A few thoughts, in no particular order...

Have you tried unplugging the MVP for a few minutes? Sometimes that works. Do you have another program running that might be interfering with the MVP's ability to connect to the server (did you install and use NextPVR/GB-PVR or the Hauppauge MVP software and forget to disable it)? Verify that the MVP is getting a DHCP address and that it is on the same subnet as your SageTV server machine. Check the network cable at both ends to be sure you've got a good connection. If you have a firewall enabled on the SageTV server machine, make sure the proper ports are open and check that the SageTV program isn't being blocked. A quick test would be to disable the firewall, unplug the MVP, restart SageTV (give it a minute or two to fully start), then plug in the MVP, and hopefully it finds the server and connects. If that works, the port numbers that need to be open are in the manual and in a FAQ post somewhere in the message board here.

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 3.2GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u201, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Sage User

1) Yes, I tried unplugging the MVP for a few minutes.

2) I don't think any other program is interfering. The computer is not used for anything else.

3) Not sure how to verify the MVP is getting a DHCP address, etc. I am able to ping the MVP IP address ... it responds ... which indicates the cable is fine.

4) The MVP does display the computer name when it first starts. I presume this is obtained via the Ethernet connection ... or perhaps this info is saved from before when it was working.

5) The problem started when I removed a LinkSys router that stopped working. I installed a new NetGear router. I have now replaced that router with a new LinkSys router.

6) I'm using BitDefender. Per their instructions (via tech support emails), I have the firewall and ports enabled. I have also tried disabling the BitDefender firewall.

7) For the quick test ... "restart SageTV" ... do you mean reboot the computer?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cte View Post
7) For the quick test ... "restart SageTV" ... do you mean reboot the computer?
Just restarting SageTV or SageTV Service would be good enough.

I haven't used any really new routers, so I don't know if there may be some settings that may be affecting the SageTV/MVP communication. Does the new router have the same IP address as the old one, or did it come with a different default IP or different default subnet? If a DHCP assigned address looks like 192.168.x.y, you want to verify that the number in the x position is the same for all devices on your network. If that number is different than the one used by your old router, you may have to check the sage.properties file and look for the miniserver/forced_server_ip and miniserver/gateway settings to be sure they match your network configuration or blank out those settings and try letting SageTV determine the proper defaults (if changing these settings, be sure SageTV and SageTV Service are not running before changing them). You also want to be sure that no machine on your LAN has a static IP address that falls within the DHCP IP pool used by the router. Up until a few years ago, most consumer routers didn't allow assigning static DHCP addresses so if you had one of these routers and manually assigned your SageTV server a static IP address via the TCPIP network settings on the SageTV server machine, it's possible the new router is either using a different subnet or it may have assigned a DHCP address to another device on your LAN that your SageTV machine is using. Every router is different, but you should be able to log in to your router and somewhere there should be a link that will let you see a list of devices that are connected to or assigned DHCP addresses by your router. Check that list to be sure there are no conflicts or misconfigurations.

One other thought...have you updated Java recently or do you perhaps have more than one Java version installed? You can check the Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel to verify that only one Java JRE version is installed. If you upgraded Java with SageTV running or any other app running in the background that uses Java, it may have caused problems with the Java update. In either case, stop SageTV on the server, uninstall all versions of Java, reboot if prompted, and then install the latest Java from java.com.

Other than that, the only thing I can think to do is to enable SageTV debug logging. Once enabled, restart SageTV, attempt to start the MVP, and then attach the resulting SageTV log file to a post here. At the very least, that should be able to show whether or not the problem is on the SageTV side or the network configuration side.

If all else fails, SageTV is still accepting tech support requests.

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 3.2GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u201, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage User

I'm guessing the MVP finds the server via UPnP. There's probably a security setting somewhere in the router blocking it...
Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Sage Icon

right. disable security/firewall and see if you can get it to work.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Sage User

I disabled the BitDefender firewall and the Linksys firewall. No difference. Still provides the message "MediaMVP is unable to detect your previously saved server on the network!"

This seems like an unusual message. If it is unable to detect a previously saved server, why would it not give the option of saving a new one?

Regarding an earlier msg, I don't have Java installed. I don't know if the IP address is different from before ... never checked it before.

For SageTV debugging ... I presume it is Setup -> Detailed Setup ->Advanced -> Debug Logging: On. This displays a msg about stopping and restarting the SageTV Server or exiting and restarting the user interface on the server. How does one do that? I don't see a program named SageTV Server.

Last edited by cte; 07-10-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
For SageTV debugging ... I presume it is Setup -> Detailed Setup ->Advanced -> Debug Logging: On. This displays a msg about stopping and restarting the SageTV Server or exiting and restarting the user interface on the server. How does one do that? I don't see a program named SageTV Server.
Yes, that's the correct setting. If you are running SageTV as a service on your SageTV server machine, just restart the service. If you don't run SageTV as a service, just exit SageTV and make sure it is fully closed (verify there is no SageTV.exe or SageTVService.exe in the process list in the Windows Task Manager), and then open SageTV back up and you should then see a sagetv_0.txt file in the SageTV program directory. The logs will roll over after about 9MB and also on each restart of the SageTV program and you will then see sagetv_1.txt, sagetv_2.txt, etc. The sagetv_0.txt file is always the current log file.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Sage User

Sorry for the slow response. We had a major storm yesterday early morning ... most of the city had no electricity for much of the day.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Sage User

SageTV Support thinks the MVP is the problem after reviewing debug files.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Sage User

I'm getting a very slow response from SageTV and from Hauppauge. Can someone recommend a different product that connects my computer to my TV via an Ethernet connection?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69 Send a message via Skype™ to wbarber69
Since you changed the router out twice I'm assuming the sagetvserver had its ip address changed by dhcp at least twice. First thing go into your router and assign a static ip address to both the server and the mvp. Make a note of the ip addresses. Completely stop the Sagetv gui and the server. Open up sage.properties file. And change these values to reflect your setup:

note the ip and mac address shown here are for my MVP you will have to change these to the ip and mac address of your MVP. And you must make sure that ever slash (/ \) is there. One missing slash or dot or colon will muck everything up
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Regarding an earlier msg, I don't have Java installed
If you're sure about that, then that's the first thing you need to fix.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the suggestions! ... and the clear instructions regarding \ and /.

1) I'm not certain how to set static IP addresses to the server and the MVP. I can access the router (Cisco Linksys E1500) through my browser.

2) I shut down SageTV ... SageTV.exe no longer displays on the Task Manager. Are there other SageTV programs running that do not start with the name "SageTV"?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Sage Icon

I occasionally had MVP connection problems when I used the MVP extenders. I unplugged them for several hours and they worked after that, usually for months until the problem occurred again. The MVP extender seems to have long term reliability problems. For testing, you might try using a cross over cable to take the router out of the equation.

The replacement is a HD-200 or HD-300, which would be expensive on E-bay if you can find them and win the bidding war. The HD extender long term connection reliability is reliable, unlike the MVP extender. The video and audio quality are also very drastically better. There are a lot of MVPs on E-bay,and they are pretty cheap if you replace it with another MVP. You could also use the client software and a computer, but you can't buy a license now, so you would be demoing the client forever, imaging and/or re-installing every 21 days.

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB

Last edited by davephan; 08-08-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage Icon

My experience with the older MVPs is that, when used with Sage, they don't implement DHCP client and/or TFTP correctly.

What has helped me avoid issues is to setup my home router, to which the MVPs talk, to do a DHCP Reservation for the MVPs. That is, you tell the router that when a DHCP (IP address request) comes from the MVP with MAC address x, then always issue IP address y, where y is a LAN address not in the range of addresses configured for DHCP server in your router. WIth this, the MVP never changes its LAN IP address.

I speculate that turning off the MVP for hours somehow often fixes problems because this delay affects how the MVP elects to reuse its IP address without adhering to the DHCP protocol to do so - and thereby confusing the switches and routers in the path, as to ARP.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69 Send a message via Skype™ to wbarber69
Quote:
2) I shut down SageTV ... SageTV.exe no longer displays on the Task Manager. Are there other SageTV programs running that do not start with the name "SageTV"?
If you see anything in the ask manager at all that says sagetv in its name you failed this step. Also do not use task manager to shut down the service. Use the Service configurations tool that is in the sagetv program folder.

As far as setting static routes in your router. There should be a menue in the router config that says dhcp clients or ip settings where you can see every device that is connected by is mac address. Here there should be a buton next to every client that says something like "set static" or static route or something like that(I havent used a linksys router in a while). If not there should be a way to add the static route manually. Once that is done you may have to reboot everything to get the settings to stick.

In my previous post I mentioned changing the lines in sage.properties file. If you have done that then you should be up and running (unless you used the exact settings I posted and didn;t make relative changes accordingly).

If all of this fails then you need to install the mvp server from hauppauge to see if the mvp is actually working as it should.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
If you see anything in the ask manager at all that says sagetv in its name you failed this step. Also do not use task manager to shut down the service. Use the Service configurations tool that is in the sagetv program folder.

As far as setting static routes in your router. There should be a menue in the router config that says dhcp clients or ip settings where you can see every device that is connected by is mac address. Here there should be a buton next to every client that says something like "set static" or static route or something like that(I havent used a linksys router in a while). If not there should be a way to add the static route manually. Once that is done you may have to reboot everything to get the settings to stick.

In my previous post I mentioned changing the lines in sage.properties file. If you have done that then you should be up and running (unless you used the exact settings I posted and didn;t make relative changes accordingly).

If all of this fails then you need to install the mvp server from hauppauge to see if the mvp is actually working as it should.
"Static Route" is the wrong function/name - DHCP reservation is different that static route definitions.

Some routers use the term DHCP Reservation. Others may call it Static DHCP (an oxymoron, but oh well).

The point is that it's not routing, is simply a reservation that a device like an MVP (or a webcam) will always get the same LAN IP address when it requests an address.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Sage Expert

I'm looking at my DHCP settings in my router right now and I have a litle button next to each connected client and I have the option to "change to dynamic" or "switch static" depending on wether or not the client has a reserved address or a dynamically changing one respectively.