SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
The average person usually doesn't need more than that, the biggest problem with XP in my opinion was that the 64bit versions did not have good driver support.
The average persons I know mostly use PC's as a gaming machine XP is hardly up to that task. I have some customers that wish they could go back to MS-DOS but it isn't happening time to move on.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-29-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm back online with Windows 7. It's a good reminder to take backups- particularly before major upgrades like this.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
Well the average PC users I know are not gamers, they are old farts like me.
With that said I do have a 3 monitor gaming setup for racing games that I don't use myself and while it does have Windows 7 on it, it worked just fine with XP.

I have DOS in a virtual machine on one of my computers, I also use old compters with printer ports to run CNC machines running XP. My 3D printer and Laser Engraver work just as well on XP as they do on Windows 7, the PC that I really need Windows 7 for is my Video editing / graphics workstation / space heater that is stuffed with a crap load of ram.
I am an OldFart too and I still play those old DOS games on dosbox. Larry Lounge Lizard ... Quest for Glory ... Police Quest and others.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-29-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Sage Icon

I backed up all my systems this last Saturday to get ready for the update. Just the system disk, as that's all I need. Data is always backed up. ;-)
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I tried the upgrade again today (after updating a bunch of drivers). Roughly the same results. As soon as I booted into Windows 10 the machine started acting goofy. Basic things didn't work. e.g., it couldn't find Chrome, it couldn't even find the right files to let me launch the display preferences window. I tried to restart the box, which just brought me right back to the black screen or, at times blue screen.

So, I'm restoring my backup a second time. I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't think this box is going to make it onto Windows 10 unless I do a clean install of Windows 7.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Then what does "free enterprise" mean to you?
I do understand that Microsoft needs to be paid for upgrades, in some fashion. How do they get that done? However they wish, it would seem.

I do believe in a system where the government generally keeps their hands off things, but the population and economy of this country have grown to a scale where "free enterprise" doesn't work for businesses that grow to have such a massive market share that another startup really can't even compete.

I know that in my engineering field, we have no choice but to run windows, because 90% of our software won't run on anything else. Microsoft falls out of the free enterprise category when their customers have no other options.

Upgrades obviously have to happen, but I often question the facelifts and the resulting productivity nightmare that ensues for a time afterwards. I know that I've been using Control Panels in earlier operating systems for years, but every time I hit Windows 8, it's like I draw a blank on where to find it.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
In the reviews and stories I've seen, I have not seen an answer to this question:

Can you download the upgrade software (since it's free) and not install it? Then someday down the road (say, in 5 years, if Win10 is as popular as they expect and we've confirmed it's completely safe with Sage) install it, and have it still be free?

I'm guessing not, because I suspect the download/install will likely be an integrated process and you won't just download the entire OS in a lump file... meaning you'll just be downloading the installer first, and then other pieces will download as the installation progresses... and I doubt the "free-ness" will be inherent in the original installer stuff you'd download today and therefore give you a free pass five years from now...
If you go to the Windows 10 download site rather than wait for the upgrade to download to your Win 7/8/8.1 system, you will have the choice of upgrading your system now, downloading a USB boot drive, or downloading an ISO for DVD burning.

If you have multiple systems to upgrade, this can make it faster and easier since you won't have to download the full OS file multiple times. I think that file will still only work as an upgrade to a current Win 7/8/8.1 system, but it will allow you to do either a clean install or retain your current apps and files. I assume that we could hold that file and do the upgrade anytime in the next year, but after that my understanding is that it would no longer work.

I still want to hear confirmation that SageTV works fine in Windows 10....

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsouthard View Post
If you go to the Windows 10 download site rather than wait for the upgrade to download to your Win 7/8/8.1 system, you will have the choice of upgrading your system now, downloading a USB boot drive, or downloading an ISO for DVD burning.

If you have multiple systems to upgrade, this can make it faster and easier since you won't have to download the full OS file multiple times. I think that file will still only work as an upgrade to a current Win 7/8/8.1 system, but it will allow you to do either a clean install or retain your current apps and files. I assume that we could hold that file and do the upgrade anytime in the next year, but after that my understanding is that it would no longer work.

SageTV works just as good as any other OS under Windows 10. I have it running on my test machine and have had no problems at all. The only reason why I have not upgraded my Sage Server is because I also run WMC on it and SeverWMC for live TV on my Kodi Clients.... Once the HDHR DVR is released I will only run windows 10.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-30-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

24+ hours with SageTV on Win10PRO, recording & playback without any hick ups.
HTPC: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, I7-6700, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro x64, Hauppauge HVR-1600, WinTV-dualHD, Colossus 2, Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Seagate 3TB, WD 3TB, 3TB, 5TB, Java v1.8.0_201, SageTVx64 v9.2.1.826, Samsung UN60EH6003F, Dish ViP222K, ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've run the client on Windows 10 just fine. As it and the server are closely related I can't imagine it wouldn't work.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I've run the client on Windows 10 just fine. As it and the server are closely related I can't imagine it wouldn't work.
Thanks for this and other replies. I may give it a try after an image backup. Right now I'm working through some other issues ("Halt Detected in Recording" errors using PrimeNetEncoder with HDHomeRunPrime), and I don't want to muddy the waters by overlaying an OS upgrade until I get that worked out.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for this and other replies. I may give it a try after an image backup. Right now I'm working through some other issues ("Halt Detected in Recording" errors using PrimeNetEncoder with HDHomeRunPrime), and I don't want to muddy the waters by overlaying an OS upgrade until I get that worked out.
One more thing to check if you are running a scheduled windows batch job at startup or at logon ... look in task manager and look for the instance of java.exe and see what priority that is running at. Sometimes windows task scheduler schedules tasks at belownormal priority.

I know I had to export mine and change the priority to 4 which is normal....delete it ... then reimport it... I think the default might be 7 which is belownormal.

Code:
<Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>true</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>false</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT0S</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>4</Priority>
  </Settings>
http://networkadminkb.com/KB/a436/ho...dows-2008.aspx

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-30-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Sage Icon

Here's a random question: Is anyone who has updated to Win10 also running ShadeBlue's Caller ID Popup plugin, and can you confirm whether your modem still works? As my household is old school and still has a landline, we use this plugin a lot to see who is calling and whether we need to bother answering.

When I upgraded my Sage server to Win8.1 a few years ago, I had a bear of a time finding a modem that was compatible... they (for obvious reasons) just don't make a lot of phone modems anymore, or bother to keep the drivers updated for the latest OS... but finally found one that worked from Amazon for like $35. My fear would be that Win10 would kill it and I'd have to try to find yet another.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I tried the upgrade again today (after updating a bunch of drivers). Roughly the same results. As soon as I booted into Windows 10 the machine started acting goofy. Basic things didn't work. e.g., it couldn't find Chrome, it couldn't even find the right files to let me launch the display preferences window. I tried to restart the box, which just brought me right back to the black screen or, at times blue screen.
To close the loop on this, I tried to upgrade my desktop (not my server) yet again. Prior to this I heard that the Lucidlogix VirtuMVP software is not compatible with Windows 10. (That's kind of disappointing, since it means I can't use QuickSync transcoding, but I've never used that for anything beyond testing anyway.) So, I uninstalled that software prior to performing the upgrade, after which the upgrade went fine. I upgraded my Lenovo X200 next without any problems. I'll probably upgrade my wife's Spectre x360 tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Think twice before you upgrade your server especially if you use a CableCard you never know when your channels will become copy protected. In a pinch you can still use WMC... at least for another 3.5 years in Windows 7 and 4 years in windows 8.1 .... by then I am sure something will come along or the HTPC DVR will become obsolete.

I had upgraded my server just to see then I found out heck I could really use WMC for my few protected channels.... quickly restored W7 image.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I have very little interest in using WMC. I tried it back when I first got my Ceton Echo, as I was planning on converting everything over, and I really didn't like it. Some of that was probably just the Echo being terrible at playback, but lots of things in the WMC interface didn't work the way I wanted them to. I could probably get used to it, but that's just not something I want to do.

If I lose more channels to copy protection I want to just drop cable TV entirely and get a Tablo DVR for OTA, and use Hulu and online purchases for everything else. But, if I chicken out I suppose I could just go back to using two HD-PVRs. I did that for years and it mostly worked fine.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 AM
SageTVaholic

I only use WMC to watch livetv and sports . I use Kodi or plex for all other stuff. I have a HDMI splitter along with HDMI IR extender attached at each end ... I have it going to my main Entertainment Center and my Office (where the HTPC is).. That is all I really need... plus all my tuners are Silicondust units so using HD-PVRs is an option I would not even consider.

PS I also have a Ceton Echo it is ok only for live TV and to play WMC recordings .. nothing else.

I really do not like the path the HDHomerun DVR is taking with it's weak releases and it's guide data. At the moment you can record DRM but there is no way to play it kinda useless (you Think?)

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-09-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

For me the HD-PVRs aren't a problem. I have a utility room with plenty of shelves to hold the server, HP-PVRs, and STBs. My biggest problems are that 1) channel changing is slow, 2) the video quality appears softer, and 3) the STBs reset every few weeks, causing me to lose a recording before I notice.

I'd really like to hear from anyone using the HDHR DVR releases, but from an outsider's perspective it doesn't look overly promising. Maybe it will glow into something bigger, but it kind of looks like they want to take the easy way out of everything. For example, they don't seem interested in adding transcoding to support more devices (e.g., Rokus). They're adding Plex support, but their posts on the forum strongly suggest they're not going to support live TV playback, despite an unofficial HDHR Plex plugin working moderately well.

We'll see what happens, but I think the project will crash and burn before its able to grow into something decent.

Maybe Android TV devices will sufficiently solve their extender problem, particularly with more devices supporting mpeg2, but decided not to back the kickstarter after I got the distinct impression from their posts that this isn't a serious project for them. Plus I tried using their Android app again and found it absolutely atrocious, which didn't exactly inspire confidence.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I am using it ... Right now you can Install the recording engine on mac, nas windows etc... almost any platform you can think off. The only supported client at the moment is KODI.

You can view livetv using the HDHomerun View app in KODI. It does not use the DVR software for time shifting etc... it is just that livetv. You can schedule recordings on the kodi HD Homerun app .. and watch them... You can schedule recording of protected content also but cannot view it. It has no Grid Guide. See screenshots this is just my test recordings etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hddvr1.jpg (70.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg hddvr2.jpg (145.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg hddvr3.jpg (79.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-09-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Sage Icon

I'm hoping the HDHR DVR doesn't crash and burn...I funded them, and recently purchased a separate 2 drive NAS to use with it. I've got it all setup and working, but am just not in love with the interface yet, hard to live up to what SageTV has been for us for the last decade or so.

I like Windows 10 over the 8 I had installed on another PC, so was looking at doing it for my server, but at this point, I'm thinking it's a better idea to just wait and see what happens with the HDHR DVR, and move away from Sage at that point, until we see what happens with SageOS. At this point, if I can have my server completely running off the NAS, I think I'd rather have it that way, one less PC I have to worry about, and it lets my office PC return to just regular office duties, not having to worry about when I reboot it, or if anything else will cause SageTV to crash.