SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 PM
SageTVaholic

If you recently Installed Windows 10 check and make sure Guest account is disabled I believe it might be on by default. There is no need to have the guest acct enabled. If you need a guest account create one using another name.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
If you recently Installed Windows 10 check and make sure Guest account is disabled I believe it might be on by default. There is no need to have the guest acct enabled. If you need a guest account create one using another name.
ah, that brings up a good question: I run W7 Sage server on an account without a password, so the machine can be quickly rebooted.
Can Windows 10 run accounts without passwords?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-15-2015, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
ah, that brings up a good question: I run W7 Sage server on an account without a password, so the machine can be quickly rebooted.
You know, you can set accounts with passwords to auto logon:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...utomatic-logon

I expect it should work in Windows 10 too.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You know, you can set accounts with passwords to auto logon:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...utomatic-logon

I expect it should work in Windows 10 too.
Yes it works that is how I logon to windows 10 on my client Autologon user and password protected.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Can Windows 10 run accounts without passwords?
Ps not using passwords means that anybody that knows the user name can cause damage .. even remote users.. you should always use a password even if you use autologon... As Stranger pointed out how to do it.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

Agreed, that's how I used to do it with my HTPC when I had one. Now that the computer only runs SageTV Service, I have no need to auto login, as the service starts running immediately after the PC boots up, without anyone logging in.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanjoe View Post
So, Windows 10 is rolling out on July 29th.
  1. Are you going to upgrade your sage tv server?
  2. You have 1 year to upgrade. Is anyone going to take advantage of this upgrade?
  3. How do you feel about the forced updates required for the home edition?
1. I upgraded my server with hesitation to windows 10 "home edition," SageTV V7 works fine, gemstone works great, HDPVR works, USB Uirt works, eventghost has no issues, and to my surprise the exemultituner through event ghost works to change my channels on my OAC tuner. As for accounts I have the HTPC auto logon and the upgrade was a success for my setup. In addition, I have two other PCs running Win 10 with clients and they are also working great. Other software working in Windows 10 related to sage is the XMLTV importer and a zap2itxml program I use to get EPG data. Now onto looking at the open source but got to wait for a windows build before i try that.
2. So Yes
3. Do not care
Old 08-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage User

I am glad to see that windows 10 has not been a problem with Sage. Just the way licensing is working with my machines the PC that just bubbled out of the latest round of family upgrades is windows 8.1. Fortunately it was 8.1 pro so I can get windows 10 pro and put it on slow ring and remote into it. A little more memory, a little more speed, a lot more HDD. The windows XP 2 GB limit was a pain.

I will always have my trusty XP Pro machine as a fallback.

I really hope someone gets it compiled for linux. It would solve so many problems.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko View Post
Agreed, that's how I used to do it with my HTPC when I had one. Now that the computer only runs SageTV Service, I have no need to auto login, as the service starts running immediately after the PC boots up, without anyone logging in.
so then, no password?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I just uninstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and went back to Windows 7. For me it was the being constantly "stalked" by Windows Updates and the seemingly daily message to reboot to finish installing them. With Windows 7 you'd only get updates at most once a week (I can't remember if it was every Tuesday or the first Tuesday of the month), and I could choose to install them when it was convenient for me, without having to worry about Windows restarting itself on me.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just uninstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and went back to Windows 7. For me it was the being constantly "stalked" by Windows Updates and the seemingly daily message to reboot to finish installing them. With Windows 7 you'd only get updates at most once a week (I can't remember if it was every Tuesday or the first Tuesday of the month), and I could choose to install them when it was convenient for me, without having to worry about Windows restarting itself on me.
I got all the updates .. I then disabled the Windows Update Service ... that way no updates are downloaded or reboots. When I am doing some kind of maintenance and have time. I enable windows update service get the updates Install what I want ... hide what I do not want. That way I am in control and choose when I want to check for updates.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

I suppose I could do that, but there's just nothing in Windows 10 worth going through all that trouble for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I suppose I could do that, but there's just nothing in Windows 10 worth going through all that trouble for me.
Agreed. Without some serious improvements in the kernel, the only reason I'd be leaving Windows 7 at this point is for the updates when the time comes.

I'm still waiting for next August when Microsoft attempts to "quietly mention" that everyone that took the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 (and any other Win 10 user for that matter) will now be subject to a $50/year subscription fee to run their operating system.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I haven't had problems with updates... I have my updates set to auto. My last boot was on the 12th, and I've had some updates installed since then. According to my update settings, Windows will reboot tonight at 3AM to install them.

I guess I'll find out if its annoying- I've only been running Windows 10 for about 3 weeks- but I haven't noticed the update system yet.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Well I set mine to let me schedule the reboots. I have enough stuff left open most of the time that the last thing I want is Windows rebooting on itself and interrupting something I left undone. Of course that means that every day, maybe every other day (that's what it seems like) I get a notification saying I've got updates scheduled to reboot.

Arguably that's not too bad, but if you ignore those, after not too long you get a popup saying it's going to reboot on it's own, if you don't do something. People say this is like phones, but it's nothing like phones. My Android updates are far less common, and even they don't install themselves automatically, they always ask.

Last edited by stanger89; 09-01-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Sage Icon

If you get Windows 10 Pro (I'll never get Home again), you can set updates just like Windows 7. See here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-...Speed=noscript

See the section called "Use Group Policy to Disable Automatic Updates Professional Editions Only".
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Hm, good info.