SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

DIRECTV NOW

I am unsure if this is the Forum to ask nor exactly how to ask the question. But... How do I/Can I receive DIRECTV NOW (DirectTV's streaming service) through SageTV? (v9)
Old 08-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am unsure if this is the Forum to ask nor exactly how to ask the question. But... How do I/Can I receive DIRECTV NOW (DirectTV's streaming service) through SageTV? (v9)
There's a PlayOn plugin for Sage, so:

"PlayOn + DIRECTV NOW – A Streamer’s Dream Come True."
https://www.playon.tv/blog/playon-and-directv-now
System #1: Win7-64, Core2-Quad Q9400, 8 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB Mem, 2TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

It turns out that I had purchased a "Lifetime" subscription to PlayOn back in April. It didn't prove very useful to me back then but... that was then and this is now!

Anyway, I had tried to use the PlayOn SageTV Plugin but couldn't get it to work with DIRECTV NOW. This was after I had spent two days playing with DN with Roku and the native App where it worked as expected. It seems that something happened at or around the same time as I tried it with SageTV because, after writing the above post, DN no longer worked with Roku or the provided PC App either. (Some coincidence, huh?) Anyway, I "Chatted" with DNs Help Desk and they could not find the problem and escalated it to a higher authority. They said it would take about 24 hours. 24 hours later, I contacted them again and was told they were working on it but needed another 24 hours. Surprise, surprise! About six hours later, I had a moment to spare and tried it. PlayOn SageTV Plugin opened and played all of the DN programming. (FWIW, I knew it was a problem at DN because Amazon Prime and HBO worked as expected in the SageTV PlayOn plugin.)

I have now had a couple days to work with DN and the PlayOn STV plugin. Very impressive!

Nevertheless, I do have two complaints and am unsure if this is the place I should mention them.

1. In SageTV Setup>Video Recording Directories there is no option to include sub-directories. PlayOn puts recorded video into separate sub-directories. (A good idea, I suppose, but incompatible with SageTV.) This requires one to manually move the files into the main directory.

2. I don't know how to make ComSkip work on the PlayOn recorded files. The commercials are, however, skipped if played back through the PlayOn Media Player.

If this should be placed into a different Forum or posted as a new thread, please advise.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
1. In SageTV Setup>Video Recording Directories there is no option to include sub-directories. PlayOn puts recorded video into separate sub-directories. (A good idea, I suppose, but incompatible with SageTV.) This requires one to manually move the files into the main directory.
PlayOn isn't incompatible with Sage. Simply add PlayOn's recording directory to the list of Sage's Import directories, and that content will show up under Sage's Videos menu(s). No need to move any files.

Content listed in Recordings requires metadata that's added to the recording by Sage itself (when it records a program).

On the other hand, to cause imported content to show up in Recordings requires another tool (such as the Batch Metadata Tools plugin, which can run automatically) to create that metadata. Going this route still doesn't require moving any files.
System #1: Win7-64, Core2-Quad Q9400, 8 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB Mem, 2TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just, first let me thank you for taking the time to work with me. I really appreciate it.

Back in early 2009, when I started with SageTV, I ripped a couple DVDs but never played them nor had I looked in the "Video" tab of STV Since. I am astonished at the clutter that is in there -- all of which are duplicates of files (some but not all) found in the "TV" tab.

A couple housekeeping notes: My Playon Server is not on the same computer as the SageTV Server. They are both on the same network, however. The mp4 files (and attendant data files) are stored on external drives (6). STV Server is a Windows Vista machine and the PlayOn Server is a Windows 10 machine. And in case it is relevant, there are 4 HDHomeRun devices (8 tuners) attached to the STV Server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
PlayOn isn't incompatible with Sage. Simply add PlayOn's recording directory to the list of Sage's Import directories, and that content will show up under Sage's Videos menu(s). No need to move any files.

Content listed in Recordings requires metadata that's added to the recording by Sage itself (when it records a program).
I am struggling to figure out exactly how this works.

First, I opened PlayOn. (I realize this was wrong but bear with me.) I, then, just grabbed a file blindly (SyFy>Wynnona Earp>s02e01 - Steel Bars and Stone Walls) and recorded it to the default directory (W:/PlayOn). This created directories PlayOn/Wynonna Earp/Season 2 and recorded "Wynonna Earp - s02e01 - Steel Bars and Stone Walls.mp4."

Running Setup>Scan Imported Media, STV failed to find the file. It was discovered only by moving it to W:/PlayOn. Running Metadata/Fanart Options imported the metadata.

Then, I realized I should have opened PlayOn within SageTV. Going through the above process within STV, I find the following differences (other than I recorded Episode 2):

1. I had to wait until the complete program played before I could record it. That is (very) inconvenient.

2. It recorded to C:/<User>/Desktop/DVD Dubbing/Browse PlayOn. I can find no way to change the target directory.

3. It recorded to a .flv file type. (s02e02-ShedYourSkin.flv) I can find no way to change the file type.

3. "Scan Imported Media" did find the file but labeled it simply as "Shed Your Skin" which was near impossible to find in all the clutter under "Video."

3. There was, perhaps, some Metadata import but, if so, was very abbreviated.

What am I missing? And how do I change those Defaults?
Old 08-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
A couple housekeeping notes: My Playon Server is not on the same computer as the SageTV Server. They are both on the same network, however. The mp4 files (and attendant data files) are stored on external drives (6). STV Server is a Windows Vista machine and the PlayOn Server is a Windows 10 machine.
Suggestion: it's probably going to make life easier to install Playon on the same box as Sage. This makes it easier to point Sage to the Playon recording folder(s) and avoids a bunch of issues with Windows permissions. It also avoids the need to have 2 separate computers always up and running.
Overall, makes for a more reliable environment. This recommendation assumes that the Sage box isn't already maxed-out, CPU or memory-wise.

Regardless which PC PlayOn is installed on, it's always accessible via a web browser from any PC on the LAN.

Quote:
I am struggling to figure out exactly how this works.
Have a look at Playon's FAQ and Forums. Searching the Sage forums will also provide useful info. May need to search for both PlayOn and PlayLater, although the PlayLater functionality is now integral to PlayOn.

Quote:
First, I opened PlayOn. (I realize this was wrong but bear with me.) I, then, just grabbed a file blindly (SyFy>Wynnona Earp>s02e01 - Steel Bars and Stone Walls) and recorded it to the default directory (W:/PlayOn). This created directories PlayOn/Wynonna Earp/Season 2 and recorded "Wynonna Earp - s02e01 - Steel Bars and Stone Walls.mp4."

Running Setup>Scan Imported Media, STV failed to find the file. It was discovered only by moving it to W:/PlayOn. Running Metadata/Fanart Options imported the metadata.
No need to manually move files. Just add another video Import directory to Sage, pointing it to the PlayOn recordings folder. Remember, Sage doesn't automatically import new media immediately, but you can configure the frequency which Sage will scan for new media.

Quote:
Then, I realized I should have opened PlayOn within SageTV. Going through the above process within STV, I find the following differences (other than I recorded Episode 2):

1. I had to wait until the complete program played before I could record it. That is (very) inconvenient.
That's going to be true of **any** Video imports. Sage's recordings are the only thing that are able to be watched before the recording process has completed.

Quote:
2. It recorded to C:/<User>/Desktop/DVD Dubbing/Browse PlayOn. I can find no way to change the target directory.
The Playon desktop application can be used to change settings. Not sure which version you're running, but this setting used to be on the General tab, lower left corner.

Quote:
3. It recorded to a .flv file type. (s02e02-ShedYourSkin.flv) I can find no way to change the file type.

3. "Scan Imported Media" did find the file but labeled it simply as "Shed Your Skin" which was near impossible to find in all the clutter under "Video."
Looking under Videos -> Folders -> (your PlayOn recordings folder name) is another way to reduce the clutter somewhat.

Quote:
3. There was, perhaps, some Metadata import but, if so, was very abbreviated.
Sage's 'Batch Metadata Tools' plugin is probably the best means to automatically import the metadata. Searching the Sage Forums will give lots of info about this.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Suggestion: it's probably going to make life easier to install Playon on the same box as Sage. ...

Regardless which PC PlayOn is installed on, it's always accessible via a web browser from any PC on the LAN.
I agree. However, both machines are always on anyway -- the SageTV server has been 24/7 for almost ten years now and the other one for almost three. (I am amazed that the STV server has lasted so long... it is almost like Edison's lightbulb in Livermore CA).

How does one access PlayOn with a Browser? Doesn't it require the Desktop App?

Quote:
Have a look at Playon's FAQ and Forums. Searching the Sage forums will also provide useful info. May need to search for both PlayOn and PlayLater, although the PlayLater functionality is now integral to PlayOn.
Yeah, I explained my situation poorly. Simply put: I have no problem recording directly within (stand alone) PlayOn. It is within STV that my confusion lies. For instance within PlayON, I can (as you say) put the recorded file in any directory I choose but within STV my only choice is "C:/<User>/Desktop/DVD Dubbing/Browse PlayOn." I can in PlayOn record the live stream but in STV I must play the complete program before I can record it. The Metadata update to the file from (standalone) PlayOn (using STV) gives an expanded result while the STV recorded file update retrieves only abbreviated data. The FLV/MP4 issue, etc., etc.

In any event, a search of STV Forum did not produce anything useful relating to my confusion. I will revisit the PlayOn site and try again, however.

I am probably still explaining it poorly. Until I get it figured out, however, I will simply record with PlayOn Desktop App and manually move the files to a place and in a form that STV recognizes.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
How does one access PlayOn with a Browser? Doesn't it require the Desktop App?
The browser extension allows you to record videos you find on the web, not control the desktop app.
https://www.playon.tv/user-guide/pla...wser-extension

Quote:
Yeah, I explained my situation poorly. Simply put: I have no problem recording directly within (stand alone) PlayOn. It is within STV that my confusion lies. For instance within PlayON, I can (as you say) put the recorded file in any directory I choose but within STV my only choice is "C:/<User>/Desktop/DVD Dubbing/Browse PlayOn." I can in PlayOn record the live stream but in STV I must play the complete program before I can record it. The Metadata update to the file from (standalone) PlayOn (using STV) gives an expanded result while the STV recorded file update retrieves only abbreviated data. The FLV/MP4 issue, etc., etc.

In any event, a search of STV Forum did not produce anything useful relating to my confusion. I will revisit the PlayOn site and try again, however.

I am probably still explaining it poorly. Until I get it figured out, however, I will simply record with PlayOn Desktop App and manually move the files to a place and in a form that STV recognizes.
I would suggest the following:
  • Use the Playon Desktop App to put all of the recordings under the same top level directory (e.g. c:\playon recordings)
  • Change the permissions of that top directory (and all sub-directories) to share it across your network
  • Change the permission to full read & write for everyone
  • Make sure you have full read/write to the directory from the SageTV computer
  • Use SageTV to add the top level PlayOn recording directory as an video import directory
  • Tell SageTV to "Scan Imported Media"

You should be able to see the files in SageTV.

If they are are under Videos, you can use BMT to tell SageTV that they are sage recordings and they will move to the TV tab.

BTW....SageTV will mark the recordings as "archive" since they are not on the same machine. If you are using the "Current Recordings" filter, you would not be able to see them.

This is what I do, expect I have PlayOn and SageTV on the same machine.
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 08-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
The browser extension allows you to record videos you find on the web, not control the desktop app.
https://www.playon.tv/user-guide/pla...wser-extension

I would suggest the following:
  • Use the Playon Desktop App to put all of the recordings under the same top level directory (e.g. c:\playon recordings)
  • Change the permissions of that top directory (and all sub-directories) to share it across your network
  • Change the permission to full read & write for everyone
  • Make sure you have full read/write to the directory from the SageTV computer
  • Use SageTV to add the top level PlayOn recording directory as an video import directory
  • Tell SageTV to "Scan Imported Media"

You should be able to see the files in SageTV.

If they are are under Videos, you can use BMT to tell SageTV that they are sage recordings and they will move to the TV tab.

BTW....SageTV will mark the recordings as "archive" since they are not on the same machine. If you are using the "Current Recordings" filter, you would not be able to see them.

This is what I do, expect I have PlayOn and SageTV on the same machine.
Again, I have no issues with STV reading the files made by PlayOn -- PlayOn will let me put them in any directory (well, on the same network). The main problem in that area is PlayOn making a sub-directory for each program/episode which STV can't find unless you add that (sub)directory to the "Video Import Directory" list each time -- very time and space wasteful.

The other problem in that area is , of course, that recording PlayOn with STV allows only the "C:/<User>/Desktop/DVD Dubbing/Browse PlayOn" directory as destination. I prefer not to use the C:\\ drive for data. Nevertheless, I can add that directory to STV but the above sub-directory issue still applies.

Now, having said all that, none of this applies to my STV/PlayOn differences issues listed above.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Again, I have no issues with STV reading the files made by PlayOn -- PlayOn will let me put them in any directory (well, on the same network). The main problem in that area is PlayOn making a sub-directory for each program/episode which STV can't find unless you add that (sub)directory to the "Video Import Directory" list each time -- very time and space wasteful.

The other problem in that area is , of course, that recording PlayOn with STV allows only the "C:/<User>/Desktop/DVD Dubbing/Browse PlayOn" directory as destination. I prefer not to use the C:\\ drive for data. Nevertheless, I can add that directory to STV but the above sub-directory issue still applies.

Now, having said all that, none of this applies to my STV/PlayOn differences issues listed above.
As I see it, there are currently 2 ways to use Playon with Sage...

Option 1:
Use Playon to schedule your recordings and use Sage to play them back.
In this case, tell Playon to put the files in a specific location (eg: "E:\Playon\"). Playon will of course create sub-directories underneath this with the show title, season, etc. This doesn't matter. Then go to Sage, and set "E:\Playon\" as a Video import directory. You will have to tell Sage to "Scan Imported Media" for it to find new recordings (this can be done manually or automatically, depending on Sage settings). Sage will find imports even if they are buried a few levels deep in sub-directories.

Option 2:
Use Sage to schedule Playon recordings and play them back.
In this case, you need to install the UPnP plugin for Sage. After you do this, go to the UPnP Browser screen in Sage (In the Online menu). Press the Options button on your remote - you will get a pop-up with Menu Options. Select the "Recording and Server Options - Configure" button. From here you can set many things including the directory to store videos, how to name the files, and whether to treat the recordings as TV Shows ("Airing") or Imported Videos ("Video"), or not have Sage see them at all ("None").
There are a lot of options and I would recommend looking through and setting them before you start making recordings.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 08-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
The main problem in that area is PlayOn making a sub-directory for each program/episode which STV can't find unless you add that (sub)directory to the "Video Import Directory" list each time -- very time and space wasteful.
It is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Use Playon to schedule your recordings and use Sage to play them back.
In this case, tell Playon to put the files in a specific location (eg: "E:\Playon\"). Playon will of course create sub-directories underneath this with the show title, season, etc. This doesn't matter. Then go to Sage, and set "E:\Playon\" as a Video import directory. You will have to tell Sage to "Scan Imported Media" for it to find new recordings (this can be done manually or automatically, depending on Sage settings). Sage will find imports even if they are buried a few levels deep in sub-directories.
As Tiki said, SageTV scans ALL sub-directories for new media files. So it will find any files that PlayOn creates in sub-directories under E:\Playon
Old 08-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
As Tiki said, SageTV scans ALL sub-directories for new media files. So it will find any files that PlayOn creates in sub-directories under E:\Playon
I am doing something terribly wrong then.

I created directory W:\\PlayOn. I recorded (with the PlayOn Desktop App) "Wynonna Earp - s02e01 - Steel Bars and Stone Walls.mp4." It was placed (by PlayOn) in the sub-directory "W:\\PlayOn\Wynonna Earp\Season 2." I moved the file to W:\\PlayOn.

I recorded "Wynonna Earp - s02e02 - Shed Your Skin.mp4" and left it in "W:\\PlayOn\Wynonna Earp\Season 2" sub-directory.

I instructed STV to accept Setup>Video Recording Directories>W:\\PlayOn.

I, then, instructed STV to Setup>Scan Imported Media.

"Wynonna Earp - s02e01 - Steel Bars and Stone Walls.mp4" is listed in all the many ways available... under "Videos>List," for instance.

"Wynonna Earp - s02e02 - Shed Your Skin.mp4" is nowhere to be listed anywhere. (Well, except by a Windows Search engine.)

What do I need to do to get STV (v9 and Vista machine) to recognize sub-directories?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Sage Expert

Not recording directories, but Import directories.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
Not recording directories, but Import directories.
<Blush> How silly of me.

Nevertheless, adding "W:\\PlayOn" to the Import Directories did not add the file to the (import) list.

Adding "W:\\PlayOn\Wynonna Earp" did not add the file to the list.

Adding "W:\\PlayOn\Wynonna Earp\Season 2" added the file to the list.

Where did I miss the instruction to have STV scan sub-directories?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
<Blush> How silly of me.

Nevertheless, adding "W:\\PlayOn" to the Import Directories did not add the file to the (import) list.

SageTV needs to scan for new files before it appears.

Setup ==> Scan Imported Media

Check the Videos tab in addition to the TV tab. The recordings might be there. Also make sure you do not have any filters on. My PlayOn recordings are marked with "Archived" so if I am viewing with "Current Recordings" the PlayOn recorded files do not show up. Make sure you are using "All recordings".
Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
<Blush> How silly of me.

I just noticed, why are you using W:\\PlayOn instead of W:\Playon?

The \\ indicated a network resource. (i.e. \\mynas\playon)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
SageTV needs to scan for new files before it appears.

Setup ==> Scan Imported Media

Check the Videos tab in addition to the TV tab. The recordings might be there. Also make sure you do not have any filters on. My PlayOn recordings are marked with "Archived" so if I am viewing with "Current Recordings" the PlayOn recorded files do not show up. Make sure you are using "All recordings".
Yes, I forgot to mention that I did, indeed, run Set>Scan Imported Media... several times.

Both of these files were recorded the same way so I assume they would have the same characteristics.

I will, however, later move the "found" file into the sub-directory and run Scan Imported Media and see if it then list either file... or none. Perhaps, I will have time tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I just noticed, why are you using W:\\PlayOn instead of W:\Playon?

The \\ indicated a network resource. (i.e. \\mynas\playon)
Actually it is a network file... in that I am using Windows Explorer on a non-STV server machine to list the files. On the STV Server they are listed with the single back slash.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Actually it is a network file... in that I am using Windows Explorer on a non-STV server machine to list the files. On the STV Server they are listed with the single back slash.
Is "W:\\PlayOn" a mapped drive on the SageTV machine?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Is "W:\\PlayOn" a mapped drive on the SageTV machine?
No. It is an external hard drive connected directly (USB) to the SageTV Server machine.

SageTV would have no reason to treat this drive as anything other than a local drive.

What does keep getting lost in this thread is that STV is able to read and act as expected with the master directory but not on the sub-directory(s). It is not just on the W:\ drive but all others including Drive C:\. (FWIW, I have SageTV import/record directories on 7 different drives attached directly to the STV Server.)

It is, however, a mapped drive on the computer I was using (Windows Explorer) to copy the data that I pasted into my post(s). That explains the double back slash confusion.