SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

moving Wiz.bin and the results...

So, as my rebuild to a new SSD continues (driver hell), I did what is suggested here - rebuilt the install, plugins, recording dirs to match my old install...everything is similar and fine.
Dragged over wiz.bin, did a reboot...

wow - it takes forever for sage to initialize and load up, as compared to to new install.

The properties file is the new one, so what would cause this laborious loading of SageTV when the old wiz.bin is put in place? Is it a minor thing that will only take one or two loads, or do you suspect corruption somewhere?
thanks
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
So, as my rebuild to a new SSD continues (driver hell), I did what is suggested here - rebuilt the install, plugins, recording dirs to match my old install...everything is similar and fine.
Dragged over wiz.bin, did a reboot...

wow - it takes forever for sage to initialize and load up, as compared to to new install.

The properties file is the new one, so what would cause this laborious loading of SageTV when the old wiz.bin is put in place? Is it a minor thing that will only take one or two loads, or do you suspect corruption somewhere?
thanks
If the computer name is different or any of the directories (or shares if using UNC paths) is different Sage will have to match all of the files to the existing DB entries.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
If the computer name is different or any of the directories (or shares if using UNC paths) is different Sage will have to match all of the files to the existing DB entries.
I tried to make everything completely identical....it's possible I missed a partition somewhere, or the name of the boot drive possibly. After Sage does its' 'match', would the speed return to normal?

One thing I DID notice: before I brought the wiz.bin over, the NEW install of Sage had found all my recordings, with one omission: info such as which channel the recording was made from wasn't there. The path to the recordings were all present, yet detail info was missing. that returned when I brought over the old wiz.bin
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I tried to make everything completely identical....it's possible I missed a partition somewhere, or the name of the boot drive possibly. After Sage does its' 'match', would the speed return to normal?
Every time I've done this yes. Since you went SSD you might/should see an improvement. I think the biggest improvements with SSD are to Windows boot and with SageTV extenders. Booting SageTV might have been faster but it wasn't as much as the Windows boot improvement for instance. I would check that all files are available and playable also check archived recordings for entries that may have been put there. It is also possible that you may have upgraded SageTV versions like from 7.0 to 7.1 for instance. That would cause an initial slowdown as SageTV converts the Wiz.bin to the new format.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Every time I've done this yes. Since you went SSD you might/should see an improvement. I think the biggest improvements with SSD are to Windows boot and with SageTV extenders. Booting SageTV might have been faster but it wasn't as much as the Windows boot improvement for instance. I would check that all files are available and playable also check archived recordings for entries that may have been put there. It is also possible that you may have upgraded SageTV versions like from 7.0 to 7.1 for instance. That would cause an initial slowdown as SageTV converts the Wiz.bin to the new format.
OK, I'll give it another whirl and a couple of re-boots to see what happens. thanks

edit note: the old wiz.bin is quite large (33k) as compared to the new one (22k).

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

You might also check your task manager. I'm guessing sagetvtranscoder is running a bunch of times. Sage seems to use this in some way to identify the properties of the files and verify the length of them. When you're talking about the entire library, it can take quite some time. If you use something like Trace Log to watch the sagetv log during startup, you'll be able to see in near real-time what is going on.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You might also check your task manager. I'm guessing sagetvtranscoder is running a bunch of times. Sage seems to use this in some way to identify the properties of the files and verify the length of them. When you're talking about the entire library, it can take quite some time. If you use something like Trace Log to watch the sagetv log during startup, you'll be able to see in near real-time what is going on.
ok, I will try that. why would the wiz.bin fom the new install be so quick...because it is not looking at the times to verify?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
In Task Manager, Processes, SageTV.exe and SageTVService.exe are both running. Strangely, there are TWO instances of each running.....does that sound normal? No sign of transcoder, however.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In Task Manager, Processes, SageTV.exe and SageTVService.exe are both running. Strangely, there are TWO instances of each running.....does that sound normal? No sign of transcoder, however.
Yes two running of each is normal. I would let it ride for 24hrs and then see if your access speeds improves.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes two running of each is normal. I would let it ride for 24hrs and then see if your access speeds improves.
ok, thanks. As it is now, it takes nearly three minutes for the SageTV icon to appear on my taskbar after a boot. This is using the OLD wizbin file on the NEW SSD.

If I go back and use my old HDD to boot, that only takes about 20 seconds for the SageTV icon to appear on the taskbar.

Quite a difference...something must be missing in either my properties (like a tweak in the previous installation) or a reference to hardware that has changed. Beyond me other than to keep asking questions in hopes someone has had the same problem

UPDATE: it takes exactly five minutes for SageTV to go from recording / reboot / pickup recording again, using the OLD wiz.bin file...which sucks. Searching this forum has so far found no reason as to why

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-23-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

update (if anyone can help decipher what it means):

used SageTV log file to study slow boot up...

3 1/2 minutes are used by "Splash: Profilier is initializing"

(I have no idea what this means.)

2 1/2 minutes are used by essentially "reimporting metadata for mediafile because it changed."

regarding the second 2 1/2 minutes, shouldn't that only get done once, and then it's remembered?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
update (if anyone can help decipher what it means):

used SageTV log file to study slow boot up...

3 1/2 minutes are used by "Splash: Profilier is initializing"

(I have no idea what this means.)
Can't really help here. But you maybe right in that it is looking for a path that no longer exists and is just waiting for a timeout maybe several.

Quote:
2 1/2 minutes are used by essentially "reimporting metadata for mediafile because it changed."

regarding the second 2 1/2 minutes, shouldn't that only get done once, and then it's remembered?
I would think so. However you should leave SageTV running because it is likely still verifying files. Since SageTV is multi tasking it had enough shared CPU time to get the GUI completely booted up after those 2 1/2 minutes. Each time you boot you will get more files verified but if you don't let SageTV run long enough to finish it will have to at least pickup where it left off each time you start it. It is possible it is starting all over again each boot but I don't believe it very likely.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Another option might be to export to XML your file history and favorites with the Web server from your HDD instance of SageTV. Then use the new fast booting wiz.bin on the SSD and just import the XML. It would put all of your recordings in Archive status and you would loose watched history but it should get you back to running with faster SageTV boots.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Another option might be to export to XML your file history and favorites with the Web server from your HDD instance of SageTV. Then use the new fast booting wiz.bin on the SSD and just import the XML. It would put all of your recordings in Archive status and you would loose watched history but it should get you back to running with faster SageTV boots.
watched history isn't important to me really, and I have no favorites per se - I change them every season. The only thing I wouldn't like to lose is the in-depth despcriptions of each recording. What is this XML you speak of - sounds like a plan

Could it also be something to do with a setting in a plugin?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-23-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
watched history isn't important to me really, and I have no favorites per se - I change them every season. The only thing I wouldn't like to lose is the in-depth despcriptions of each recording. What is this XML you speak of - sounds like a plan

Could it also be something to do with a setting in a plugin?
The web server has an option to export recordings history. You would export it from the HDD and then import it on the SSD instance. Unfortunately I am unable to download the web server currently because it fails the MD5 checksum according to the SageTV plugin installer. Evidentally when source forge has problems SageTV default to reporting a MD5 checksum. After 3 attempts I finally got it to download.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 06-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Looks like it also saves favorites so you won't loose those. Here is what I exported from one of my servers as an example XML file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip recordings.zip (721.1 KB, 8824 views)
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

And what I specifically installed was "SageTV Web Interface" from the General tab in the plugin installer.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

thanks bob, I am reading all of this....for me, complex. Jetty? TJWS? this could take some time. I'll let you know if I don't break something lol

haha - can't even get it installed - firewall headache, even though firewall is turned off

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
And what I specifically installed was "SageTV Web Interface" from the General tab in the plugin installer.
this installed fine, but any attempt to go to their web based service is met with denial
Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
SageTVaholic

You can follow this thread to recreate wiz.bin.

also this one to access the webserver