SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Linux or Windows?

I've been running v7 for years under Win7, and have been quite happy with it. Ever since I switched to accessing the server via HD200s and HD300s I've hardly had any crashes at all.

With Sage now being open sourced, I'm thinking of upgrading to v9. If I do that I'll either build a new Windows 10 system to host Sage, or switch to Linux.

Which is the better/preferred option? I'm using Sage to record off a US cable system (Comcast) via a pair of HDHomeRun Primes, via SageDCT.

I realize SageDCT is a Windows service, but does the Linux version of Sage v9 support the Prime? If not I guess I'll stick with Windows as the OS.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanmao View Post
I've been running v7 for years under Win7, and have been quite happy with it. Ever since I switched to accessing the server via HD200s and HD300s I've hardly had any crashes at all.

With Sage now being open sourced, I'm thinking of upgrading to v9. If I do that I'll either build a new Windows 10 system to host Sage, or switch to Linux.

Which is the better/preferred option? I'm using Sage to record off a US cable system (Comcast) via a pair of HDHomeRun Primes, via SageDCT.

I realize SageDCT is a Windows service, but does the Linux version of Sage v9 support the Prime? If not I guess I'll stick with Windows as the OS.
I would say your best bet is to go with Linux. Most of the developers seem to use it and there are some scripts/detailed instructions for installation. You may use OpenDCT (Linux or Windows) for your Primes. I personally run Windows 10 on my server, but that's just my preference.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have played with the linux version and runs very well. The biggest thing I think is to be sure your tuners will work. That said the reason I went back to windows is lack of ability to have the linux server sleep then wake up to record. i like to put my server to sleep since its off more than on. With linux thou you can have a much larger java heap than in windows so it depends on what is more important to you.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

But comskip is still just windows right?
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 03-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

I prefer Windows. Been testing the Open sourced v9 release for a few weeks and haven't had any issue. Of course, i have a whole tools, apps, scripts, utilities infrastructure built around windows so see no reason to change to a new platform when it's ben solid for 8 years.
Storage External: Sans Digital 4-Bay eSATA Port Multiplier RAID Enclosure with (4) 4TB Drives
Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Clients: (1) STX-HD100 HD Media Extender, (3) HD200 HD Theatre, (1) HD300
Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
But comskip is still just windows right?
The comskip plugin works on linux. I've been running it for years.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd say the biggest reason to go to Linux is to run the server in 64-bit, so you have much more memory for it to work with. I'd say the best reason to go with Windows would be if you plan on using it for other windows based things, or if you are going to use it as a client also (which is leagues better on windows).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanx, everyone, for the info. Very helpful!

The only thing I run on this particular system is the server end of Sage (i.e., I never use the client interface on it). Moving to a platform with greater memory is a strong argument for linux.

But it sounds like I may run into some sleep/wake issues. I have a NAS4Free box, which is based on BSD, and getting it to sleep is a bit Rube Goldberg (there's a crond script which monitors ethernet packet counts, and does a shutdown when the number is below a certain threshold).

What experience/recommendations do linux users have on getting their Sage servers to sleep when not in use?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Since I haven't seen anyone ask this, how comfortable you are with Linux vs Windows. I'm hopeful that at some point SageTV can be appliance level (install and forget), but its definitely not right now. If you're not a huge Linux user you might get frustrated at some of the troubleshooting.

As noted above, I think there are definite benefits to the Linux build, but if it makes you crazy I think those benefits are quickly outweighed by the experience and comfort.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm pretty comfortable with linux. I ran my own linux-based firewall/NAT/email server for years before routers got smart enough and cheap enough and fast enough for home use. I do a fair amount of work on several Raspberry Pis, too.

But maybe the best metric is that I'm always typing 'ls' in Windows command prompts when I mean 'dir'
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanmao View Post
I'm pretty comfortable with linux. I ran my own linux-based firewall/NAT/email server for years before routers got smart enough and cheap enough and fast enough for home use. I do a fair amount of work on several Raspberry Pis, too.

But maybe the best metric is that I'm always typing 'ls' in Windows command prompts when I mean 'dir'
Maybe the best metric is that you use the command prompt at all
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250

Tags
linux, windows