SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

[Recording Name].properties files

In V7 I had a [Recording Name].properties file for most (all?) recordings which remained after they were deleted. I have noticed that these files are no longer being created in my V9 environment.

V7 was substantially stock with little more the season episode and import\export lineup plugins installed. I do not recall doing anything specific to create these and do not see CMT installed as a plugin or any thing else related to fanart.

Questions

What is the purpose\use of these files? I am not really clear on what is in the wiz.bin as opposed to this file.

Is there value in retaining these for deleted recordings?

Where is the favorites data stored?

Indirectly related, what other types of files are generated and by which tools.

I know of:
.SRT for subtitles
.properties
.??? for comskip
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

Comskip = .edl files
BMT also generates the properties files

The properties files could be used to rebuild wiz.bin
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

Favorites are stored in wiz.bin.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

Wiz.bin is the main Sage database.
It stores all favorite info, all history, and all metadata (info about recordings like episode description, list of actors, etc.).

Starting with Sage v7, most metadata is also stored inside the recording files as a backup, so it can be recreated if wiz.bin is deleted or corrupted. However, if the metadata is edited after a recording is made, only wiz.bin gets updated (the metadata embedded inside the recording does not get updated). Also, Sage uses a non-standard method to embed the metadata in the recording files, so other software doesn't know how to read it.

.properties files are another way to redundantly store the metadata. If the metadata for a recording is edited in Sage, Sage can update the .properties file by appending the changes to the end. These are text files, so it is possible that you could use the info in them outside of Sage for something if you wanted to.

.properties files (and .my files) used to be created only by 3rd party plugins (they've been around since Sage 4 I think, maybe earlier). But Sage gained the ability to create them natively starting with v7 I think.

If the recordings themselves have been deleted, anything else with recording_name.* file names are probably useless and should be safe to delete.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 08-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you all for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
......Starting with Sage v7, most metadata is also stored inside the recording files as a backup, so it can be recreated if wiz.bin is deleted or corrupted. However, if the metadata is edited after a recording is made, only wiz.bin gets updated (the metadata embedded inside the recording does not get updated). Also, Sage uses a non-standard method to embed the metadata in the recording files, so other software doesn't know how to read it.

.properties files are another way to redundantly store the metadata. If the metadata for a recording is edited in Sage, Sage can update the .properties file by appending the changes to the end. These are text files, so it is possible that you could use the info in them outside of Sage for something if you wanted to.

.properties files (and .my files) used to be created only by 3rd party plugins (they've been around since Sage 4 I think, maybe earlier). But Sage gained the ability to create them natively starting with v7 I think.......
What really raised the issue, and I neglected to mention in my original post, was that V9 (Clean install) is no longer generating these files. Not saying it's a problem, it's just different.

Is the "fix wiz.bin" references some type of automatic process related to the media scanning function, or some other manual process?

Is there a Sage (Plugin?) tool to read the Recordings metadata?
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
Thank you all for the info.

What really raised the issue, and I neglected to mention in my original post, was that V9 (Clean install) is no longer generating these files. Not saying it's a problem, it's just different.

Is the "fix wiz.bin" references some type of automatic process related to the media scanning function, or some other manual process?

Is there a Sage (Plugin?) tool to read the Recordings metadata?
Sage isn't creating those files, because there is likely nothing on your system editing metadata after the original recording is made. The .properties file only really contains the metadata items that have changed - they do not really contain all the metadata of the recording. The are intended as something to be combined WITH the metadata stored in the recording file itself, to restore the full metadata for a given file. When sage imports a file it doesn't have in it's database (or has a new date than the one it has in the database), it will check for it's proprietary metadata, and import that information. It will then parse the .properties file, if found, and make those changes to the database.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-12-2017, 01:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I typically convert all my recordings (using the convert function in Sage) to more compact formats. Does the in-file metadata get preserved in these conversions?
Old 08-12-2017, 01:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
I typically convert all my recordings (using the convert function in Sage) to more compact formats. Does the in-file metadata get preserved in these conversions?
If using the in-sage conversion method? Yes it does. Using an external utility, however, it does not.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Sage isn't creating those files, because there is likely nothing on your system editing metadata after the original recording is made. The .properties file only really contains the metadata items that have changed - they do not really contain all the metadata of the recording. The are intended as something to be combined WITH the metadata stored in the recording file itself, to restore the full metadata for a given file. When sage imports a file it doesn't have in it's database (or has a new date than the one it has in the database), it will check for it's proprietary metadata, and import that information. It will then parse the .properties file, if found, and make those changes to the database.
Since moving from V6 to V9, I also have a ton of .properties files in my recordings folder. I'd like to get back to the point where I have the minimum number of files under recordings. I would ideally just have *.mpg files... and I'm happy to host the *.edl (comskip) files to support comskipping. As it stands, I currently also have *.logo.txt, *.properties, *.txt, and *.log files for every recording... including deleted ones I think.

It sounds like I can just manually delete all my .properties files since that info is now in my Wiz.bin DB? And so I should periodically clean out my .properties files. Or can this be disabled altogether?

I have tried turning off logo.txt files with delete_logo_file=1 in the comskip.ini file. I'm testing that out.

Can I get rid of *.txt and *.log files manually and also somehow get rid of them automatically?

Server: unRAID 6.3.5, R5 case, i7-7700@3.6GHz, ASUSTek Prime H270 Pro, 32GB, 2x250GB M.2 SSD cache (raid1), 12TB pool, HDHR Dual Tuner, HDHR Extend, CM 4221/7778, SageTV v9, SageMC (high WAF), SD EPG, dockers (SageTV, Plex, Logitech Media Center, Emby, etc.)
Clients: 3 x HD300, Placeshifters
Old 08-22-2017, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

If you are using the commercial detector plugin to launch comskip, it has the ability to remove the extra files when the recording itself is removed, so they should not be building up a pile of artifacts (assuming you have it set for all the various extensions to be deleted).