SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:18 AM
Sage Icon

Where are you looking for the recordings after scanning for imported media? If you are using the default Sage UI, they should show up in the Videos menu (not in the Recordings menu).
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Where are you looking for the recordings after scanning for imported media? If you are using the default Sage UI, they should show up in the Videos menu (not in the Recordings menu).
Okay. Let me try to explain it again.

I have Episode 1 in Directory W:/Playon
I have Episode 2 in Directory W:/Playon/Wynonna Earp/Season 2

After scanning for imported media:

In the Client:
SageTV Recordings - Lists only Episode 1.
Videos - couldn't find either.

In the Server:
TV>Recordings>(all choices) - couldn't find either.
Videos>(all choices) - found only Episode 1... listed in "Inline Flow."

I hope that has simplified things.

(In case anyone is wondering, I really want to get this to work. I am not making it difficult on purpose.)

Last edited by RonBoyd; 08-22-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Is this Gemstone?
Have you tried with vanilla V7 UI?

If I recall (2 bit memory- size & cost) some of the Gemstone flows have additional filters. Been awhile since messed with Gemstone
Try Videos => Folders

Last edited by graywolf; 08-22-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Is this Gemstone?
Have you tried with vanilla V7 UI?

If I recall (2 bit memory- size & cost) some of the Gemstone flows have additional filters. Been awhile since messed with Gemstone
Try Videos => Folders
No. That didn't make a difference. STV still couldn't find the Episode 2 file.

Just to clarify: I am recording these files with the PlayOn Desktop App and not within SageTV.

That shouldn't make a difference but I stopped doing it within STV because of the inability to change the destination directory. In any event, when I did do it earlier within STV, the results were the same -- not recognizing sub-directories. Nevertheless, within/without may or may not be important.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage Icon

Well Gemstone is a completely different animal - I can't help you there since I don't use it.
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage Expert

I am doing the same thing you are:
  • Using PlayOn app to record to a directory
  • Using SageTV to recognize and play those files
The only difference is that they are both on the same machine.

I am assuming that the USB drive W: is plugged into the SageTV system. If that is the case, the PlayOn system must be creating the sub-directories as a network user. Do you have full r/w access to these sub-directories from the SageTV system and the Playon system? It is almost sounding like a sub-directory permission access issue.

Can you run a test and record to non-USB drive and see if the results are any different?
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I am doing the same thing you are:
  • Using PlayOn app to record to a directory
  • Using SageTV to recognize and play those files
The only difference is that they are both on the same machine.

I am assuming that the USB drive W: is plugged into the SageTV system. If that is the case, the PlayOn system must be creating the sub-directories as a network user. Do you have full r/w access to these sub-directories from the SageTV system and the Playon system? It is almost sounding like a sub-directory permission access issue.

Can you run a test and record to non-USB drive and see if the results are any different?
I tried to install PlayOn to the SageTV machine when I started this project but ran into problems. I don't know what I thought at the time... whether the Vista OS was too old or only one instance is allowed per network. In any event, I need it to be installed on the "main" Windows 10 machine. There are other applications that need access -- Roku, for instance.

Update: I installed PlayOn Desktop App to the STV Server machine. Recordings fail -- no explanation. The "PC Processer Performance" test returns "Error" -- no explanation. This may take some time to sort out.

I checked. Full permissions are given to "everyone." As I said above, the external drive is connected directly to the STV server. The W:\Playon directory is shared with "everyone" as are the sub-directories (individually).

Again, as I said above, recording to "C:/desktop/dvddubbing/browse PlayOn" did not produce any different result. This directory was, I believe, created by PlayOn running inside SageTV. BTW, the file type when recording PlayOn inside STV is .flv. Do you know how to change that to, for instance, .mp4?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

My testing with Playon records via desktop app to a NAS location which is 3 levels down in my Import directory (usershare media => testing => streaming => Playon ) Playon creates directories under there (show => season)
My Import directory is at the usershare (media) and sagetv videos finds all the stuff Playon recorded
My Playon app is on different PC than Sagetv
Old 08-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
whether the Vista OS was too old or only one instance is allowed per network. In any event, I need it to be installed on the "main" Windows 10 machine.
The PlayOn machine is Windows 10 and the SageTV machine is Vista.

Read the following in the Windows 10 forum: https://www.windows10forums.com/thre...ndows-10.2842/

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sh...indows-xp.html
Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The PlayOn machine is Windows 10 and the SageTV machine is Vista.

Read the following in the Windows 10 forum: https://www.windows10forums.com/thre...ndows-10.2842/

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sh...indows-xp.html
Thank you for the Link.

Yeah, that is a problem with Vista/Windows 10 combination. The only way I can share files is to map the Vista drives to my main Win10 machine. I can go the other way with no problem -- Vista to Win10. I have three other Win10 machines that have no problem either way. Irritating but I have never found any file damage once the connection is made, however.

Anyway, I am done for the day. I'm beat.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thank you for the Link.

Yeah, that is a problem with Vista/Windows 10 combination. The only way I can share files is to map the Vista drives to my main Win10 machine. I can go the other way with no problem -- Vista to Win10. I have three other Win10 machines that have no problem either way. Irritating but I have never found any file damage once the connection is made, however.

Anyway, I am done for the day. I'm beat.
I am guessing that SageTV records to the USB drive, so you can not move it to the Windows 10 machine.

Can you have PlayOn record to a directory on the Windows 10 machine and use that directory as an import directory to SageTV?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I am guessing that SageTV records to the USB drive, so you can not move it to the Windows 10 machine.

Can you have PlayOn record to a directory on the Windows 10 machine and use that directory as an import directory to SageTV?
Yes, I can move the files between the two machines -- it's just that the Vista machine recognizes the Win10 machine but the Win10 machine does not recognize (find) the Vista machine.

Anyway, your thought gave my another idea; try recording to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive.

Then, to eliminate the wait for a recording to complete, I simply created a PlayOn directory and sub-directories. I copied a video file into a sub-directory and in STV clicked on "Scan Imported Media." Yippee! The file was listed in the TV Schedule as well as in with the "Videos."

It took a moment of enjoying the moment before I said to myself, "Yeah, but you didn't record into the sub-directory."

Then my frustrations really started. I opened PlayOn and started a recording and walked away. A half hour later I came back and there was no recording gong on and no new file. There was, however, a "Recording Failed" message. The next three hours were spent restarting the recording. I tried a different TV Network and different program but it still would not complete a recording -- sometimes right away and twice got into the Credits before crashing and deleting the file. I even went to a different machine on a completely different network (and ISP) -- to discover that the same thing occurred.

Then, for some reason, both machine recorded without failure. So after three hours of blaming myself for the problem and lots of troubleshooting, it was apparently on PlayOn's end.

Anyway, bottom line, SageTV recognized the file in the sub-directory on the NAS. STV still will not recognize sub-directories anywhere else but this is a good start.

In any event, I will not be using the SageTV Plugin to record with PlayOn because of:

1. The inability to choose the destination folder.
2. Having .flv as the only file type to record as.
3. Having to wait for the program to play to the end before recording can begin. (This prevents unattended recording.)

So, I guess you could say I am semi-happy.

Oh! And most importantly, let me thank everyone for bearing with me through this.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Glad you got it working
Old 08-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage Expert

Glad you were able to discover a workable solution.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yes, I can move the files between the two machines -- it's just that the Vista machine recognizes the Win10 machine but the Win10 machine does not recognize (find) the Vista machine.

Anyway, your thought gave my another idea; try recording to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive.

Then, to eliminate the wait for a recording to complete, I simply created a PlayOn directory and sub-directories. I copied a video file into a sub-directory and in STV clicked on "Scan Imported Media." Yippee! The file was listed in the TV Schedule as well as in with the "Videos."

It took a moment of enjoying the moment before I said to myself, "Yeah, but you didn't record into the sub-directory."

Then my frustrations really started. I opened PlayOn and started a recording and walked away. A half hour later I came back and there was no recording gong on and no new file. There was, however, a "Recording Failed" message. The next three hours were spent restarting the recording. I tried a different TV Network and different program but it still would not complete a recording -- sometimes right away and twice got into the Credits before crashing and deleting the file. I even went to a different machine on a completely different network (and ISP) -- to discover that the same thing occurred.

Then, for some reason, both machine recorded without failure. So after three hours of blaming myself for the problem and lots of troubleshooting, it was apparently on PlayOn's end.

Anyway, bottom line, SageTV recognized the file in the sub-directory on the NAS. STV still will not recognize sub-directories anywhere else but this is a good start.

In any event, I will not be using the SageTV Plugin to record with PlayOn because of:

1. The inability to choose the destination folder.
2. Having .flv as the only file type to record as.
3. Having to wait for the program to play to the end before recording can begin. (This prevents unattended recording.)

So, I guess you could say I am semi-happy.

Oh! And most importantly, let me thank everyone for bearing with me through this.
As I mentioned in my previous post above, you can specify the destination directory with the UPNP plugin - not sure why you had trouble with this, maybe you didn't see it he Options menu.
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
As I mentioned in my previous post above, you can specify the destination directory with the UPNP plugin - not sure why you had trouble with this, maybe you didn't see it he Options menu.
I did see that and started but got distracted and never got back to it.

Quote:
Option 2:
Use Sage to schedule Playon recordings and play them back.
In this case, you need to install the UPnP plugin for Sage. After you do this, go to the UPnP Browser screen in Sage (In the Online menu). Press the Options button on your remote - you will get a pop-up with Menu Options. Select the "Recording and Server Options - Configure" button. From here you can set many things including the directory to store videos, how to name the files, and whether to treat the recordings as TV Shows ("Airing") or Imported Videos ("Video"), or not have Sage see them at all ("None").
There are a lot of options and I would recommend looking through and setting them before you start making recordings.
What I found:

There are three UPnP Plugins:

UPnP (PlayOn) Browser by Tmiranda
UPnP Browser for PlayOn Plugin by Evilpenquin (This is installed)
UPnP Support by Tmiranda

Which one are you referring to?

When I go to "Main Menu Options" these are my options"

Flow Manager
-------
Weather Options
Widget Manager
------
Utility Functions (there is a Import/export tab but I didn't understand what to change.)
----------
Original Video Options Menu
Theme Settings
Switch User
Menu Manager
Task Switcher Settings

Am I looking in the correct menu?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I did see that and started but got distracted and never got back to it.

What I found:

There are three UPnP Plugins:

UPnP Browser for PlayOn Plugin by Evilpenquin (This is installed)
UPnP Support by Tmiranda

Which one are you referring to?

When I go to "Main Menu Options" these are my options"

Flow Manager
-------
Weather Options
Widget Manager
------
Utility Functions (there is a Import/export tab but I didn't understand what to change.)
----------
Original Video Options Menu
Theme Settings
Switch User
Menu Manager
Task Switcher Settings

Am I looking in the correct menu?
I was referring to the first one:

Re-read my earlier post, you have to go into the UPNP screen, then hit the Options button on your remote.

From what you posted above, I'm guessing you are using Gemstone rather than the default UI. In that case, I don't know how to get to the UPNP screen , since I don't use Gemstone (you might need to do something special with the menu editor to get it to show up somewhere in the menus).
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 08-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I was referring to the first one:

Re-read my earlier post, you have to go into the UPNP screen, then hit the Options button on your remote.

From what you posted above, I'm guessing you are using Gemstone rather than the default UI. In that case, I don't know how to get to the UPNP screen , since I don't use Gemstone (you might need to do something special with the menu editor to get it to show up somewhere in the menus).
Okay, I installed the Plugin and reverted back to the v7 interface.
When I click on "Online," I get:

Weather ...............................Youtube ........................Google Video
Search ...............IMDB Channels.com web shows ..........News
Comedy.............................. Sports ............................Science-Tech
Entertainment ....................HDVideos .........................Kids & Family
Home & Garden .....................Hulu .............................Netflix
PlayOn ...................Updated feeds March-4-2011 .......Back to Main Menu

The "Option" button gives me an "Options for Online Videos" menu that has no choices that seem appropriate.

What am I missing now?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh Oh! I did something wrong. Now when I close SageTV on the Server, my client (HD300) closes also. I don't know of any changes that I made that I didn't reverse.

Any hints you can give me?
Old 08-24-2017, 02:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Oh Oh! I did something wrong. Now when I close SageTV on the Server, my client (HD300) closes also. I don't know of any changes that I made that I didn't reverse.

Any hints you can give me?
That sounds like you're not running the SageTV service.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG