SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 AM
SageTVaholic

I just wish frey would develop a BD-J client/placeshifter/extender/whatever app that could be purchased. The Linux on PS3 is nice and all, but BD-J would open it up to ALL blu-ray players on the market.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not still letting work get in the way of the work/life balance are you? I'ts gon all quiet on this thread and we havn't heard from devinteske for a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinteske View Post
I've been utterly swamped with coding projects at work with sharp deadlines. In addition, several other projects have crept up on me like 2-3 cocoa obj-c projects on Mac OS X/iPhone, a CSS/Perl Web-App, a new FreeBSD kernel, and some other fluff.

The current status of SageTV on the PS3 is actually pretty good. JOGL remains to be the only hurdle left in the dependency list. Everything else required to run the Placeshifter (miniclient) on the PS3 under Linux is either available online or attached to messages in this forum. Currently, building JOGL on the PS3 bombs out during the configure stage, claiming that ANTLR, a dependency listed in the documentation, is not installed. Since ANTLR is listed rather prominently in the JOGL build-documentation, I feel fairly confident that all other dependencies are satisfied and that getting ANTLR, an Apache ANT module, installed will allow us to successfully build JOGL.

I definitely encourage any impatient souls to set up Linux on their PS3 using the resources and methods mentioned in this thread. I'll help you along the way to get as far as I have. The interface launches, I can add a SageTV Server to the placeshifter main menu, etc. Of course, without JOGL, logging into the server works but the interface won't render. Once JOGL is successfully ported (which, we know is possible since YDL has a binary port of jogl-1.1.1 in the yum database), the interface should render and we should be able to play STD definition video smoothly.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Sage User

A little off topic I guess, but this is interesting: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/h...1006-gkm2.html

That would have to mean Toshiba's written a set of custom HD tv playback libraries etc that are optimised to run on the cell processors. I guess they could be completely proprietory but they would more likely be linux based and based on existing open source code - I wonder if they've had to release anything under open source agreements that might be useful to us??
Old 10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

I wonder if now that the new ps3 slim can't actually run linux, if getting sagetv to run under linux on the ps3 will even be worth it. Although getting a bd-j placeshifter might be cool. And on a side note, I wrote small plugin for ps3mediaserver that uses the remote apis to serve up the sagetv recordings and media library to the ps3 xmb interface.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Back to the original question, SageTV extender via BD-J, definitely looks like it's possible. Looks like someone has made a standard network media player app via BD-J:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/b...rting-with-th/
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to devinteske Send a message via AIM to devinteske Send a message via MSN to devinteske Send a message via Yahoo to devinteske
PS3 Hacked

In the news today, the PS3 has been hacked. To what extent? Software access to the Hypervisor internals and beyond. That is to say, ...

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../01/25/0654253

Whether this means that we'll soon be able to gain full access to the RSX graphics core under Linux... remains to be seen. However, the writing is now on the wall -- we will not be locked out of the the PS3's powerful CBE/RSX much longer and may be able to run Sage on PS3 in HiDef rather than just STV.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

I do not understand the point of linux placeshifter in PS3... Native??
As far as I know PowerPC linux dist only supports 1core .
Ps3 has 8
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Also I rather PAY SAGE for the awesome extenders.
Support them. I can not imagine my life without Sage....
Its $170.
And I have to say since I got myself 50V10for new year, HD output from the HD200 AND ESPECIALLY SD LOOKS AMAZING.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by impro View Post
I do not understand the point of linux placeshifter in PS3... Native??
As far as I know PowerPC linux dist only supports 1core .
Ps3 has 8
I can't imagine that this is a limitation of the linux kernel... but it may be that ps3 only exposed 1 core to the "otheros", but his hack should probably get around that.

Quote:
Its $170.
And I have to say since I got myself 50V10for new year, HD output from the HD200 AND ESPECIALLY SD LOOKS AMAZING.
I can certainly see the appeal for this. My ps3 will be moving to the basement, where TV is not watched very often. I currently have a SD MVP connected to the TV, but if I could get rid of that device and run a HD placeshifter on the PS3, then that would be ideal. In the main viewing area, I do have HD100. I don't think this is about NOT wanting to pay sage, since the placeshifter license isn't free either.

Either way, having the ps3 potential "unlocked" is a great thing. Sony created an amazing piece of hardware that held so much potential, and if this hack is real, it will be interesting to see what the development community does with it. I was never a fan of the original Xbox (or the 360 for that matter), but I currently have 3 of the original xboxes, simply because it runs xbmc. (Although currently, I don't use them, because they don't support HD very well)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

nothing stops you from watching sage recordings on the ps3 using tversity.

I would imagine Sage depend on the extenders sales a lot.

I have not seen a PowerPC client or place shifter yet.
Developing the BD Java will be costly and time consuming.

SO...

It is highly unlikely to have Sage running on PS3 .
Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
nothing stops you from watching sage recordings on the ps3 using tversity.
Actually windows (or lack there of) prevents me So I use ps3mediaserver, which works ok (especially using the hacks that I've added to it)

Quote:
I would imagine Sage depend on the extenders sales a lot.
true... but they also depend on the sales of server licences, clients, placeshifters, etc... so I'm not what your point was... other than, sagetv is a business that relies on sales???

Quote:
I have not seen a PowerPC client or place shifter yet.
And you probably won't see a sagetv officially supported one... but that doesn't make it impossible.

Quote:
Developing the BD Java will be costly and time consuming.
Somehow, I think you are just looking for extra words to put into your post. Next time, consider just using "blah blah blah" repeated a lot, since it may have more relevance. Writing bd-j apps is not costly, and time consuming is relative to what you want to do.... and it has nothing to do with hacking the ps3, since you can write a blu-ray app, burn it to a blu-ray disc and run it in the ps3 today.

We can agree to disagree.... and the spirit of OP is really about the future potential of getting this to work, now that the system has been compromised (although arguably it's still nowhere compromised to the level that it would need to be).
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

No need to insult me.
I am not trying to fill my post with words. I am trying to be short and clear.
I can not in my understanding see anybody else but SAGETV writing a client that would work with SAGETV server.
Do not have time to read the agreement but pretty sure it will be illegal.

If you buy a HD extender you do not need a license. It comes with one.

Hypothetically speaking: THE ONE COOL THINK IF SAGE "not somebody in India" PRODUCE A CLIENT FOR PS3 AND SONY ALLOW IT WILL BE 24P VIDEO PLAYBACK ON PS3.

"edit"
It would not work because PS3 plays back 24P only when it reads it from the Optical media. In the case of the BD-J disc,It would only carry the program and not the source material/stream.

Last edited by impro; 01-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

btw nobody is talkin about hackin the PS3...
Hackin the SAGE JAVA CODE.
If you knew how to hack Sage you would not whine about buying licenses.

Last edited by impro; 01-27-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

GO MAN CITY. 12pm Pacific. I am out.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

@impro - You care very passionate about anti-hacking (for whatever reason). I mean no insult to you, but I don't think you have a full grasp on what "hacking a placeshifter to run the ps3" really means.

Today, if I use Tversity, ps3mediaserver or a bd-j app, then sage may be losing licensing revenue. But, if I had 6 ps3's all running a "hacked" placeshifter client, then sage is making money. Why? Because Sage is Server based product that manages it's licenses on the server. So having a ps3 running a placeshifter is still going require a license... but the beauty from sagetv's point of view, is that they don't need to expend any resources to support it. It's actually a win-win scenario.

hacking doesn't need to be met with such negative energy. Hacking does not imply that people want to steal anything... and certainly my relationship with sagetv is quite good, and I don't want to steal from them. in fact, if sagetv asked me to not to engage in this practice, for whatever reason, then i'd do it out of professional courtesy.

Sorry if you were offended by prev post... I just don't think you have an open mind when I comes to "hacking" and I don't feel that you have a full grasp on what it trying to be accomplished. I think that deep down, you think that we are tying to "rip off" sagetv, which is not the case.

enjoy your show.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

No problem. No offense taken.
My main point was : IF Sage wont do it, nobody will.
Don't get me wrong... I would love to use PS3 for 24p sage playback.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I think ps3 has a lot of issues.

network issues:
My ps3 slim has a download max 24-25 megabits.
That is just not enough for sage HD playback.

format issues:
Also VC-1 DTS combination barely works. the audio have to be stereo in order for the file to playback.
No matrioshka playback.
I went to a lot of steps to watch my bu ray rips from netflix "that I rip watch and delete".
I ended up coping the entire file with treversity and when I played back A BIG SURPRISE... 60hz...
My 54v10 was crying ... so was I.
I love how PS3 plays back blu rays. HD200 is close except sometimes pans are not as smooth. Not all the time.

Please do not offend the people on this forum and compare Tversity and ps3mediaserver. joking
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Its $170.
Agreed, but last time I checked Sage extenders do not have a BD drive...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Agreed, but last time I checked Sage extenders do not have a BD drive...
Yes they do. Not directly. Not the extenders. But the server can have a BR.
There is currently no media player that I know of that ets you connect a external blu ray drive to.
Not to mention tell me which product streams BR on your network.
If you already are Sage user, adding Blu Ray capabilities is the cheapest BluRay option.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yes they do. Not directly. Not the extenders. But the server can have a BR.
There is currently no media player that I know of that ets you connect a external blu ray drive to.
Not to mention tell me which product streams BR on your network.
If you already are Sage user, adding Blu Ray capabilities is the cheapest BluRay option.
With the PS3 there is no reason to attach an external drive.
If you could run sage by simply loading the Sage BD, then it would be a great single unit solution.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, except for having to swap discs whne you wanted to actually watch a BD, or play a game...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Tags
bd-j, bdj, client, extender, ps3