SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

View Poll Results: Does your Dish Network service go out frequently in bad weather?
Yes 5 31.25%
No 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dish Network performance in bad weather

Does your Dish Network service go out frequently in bad weather? I'm in the final stages of considering a switch to them from Cablevision and I have a lot of people warning me about Dish not working in bad weather.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I had DirecTV about 10 years ago and if there was ice on the dish or a hard rain the picture would break up. I adjusted the dish many times trying to improve the performance, but I was never able to get a good picture during bad weather.

My uncle currently has Dish Network and he told me last week that he loses picture during bad weather and that my cousin has the same problem with her DirecTV.

I've had people tell me (on the internet) they never lose signal in bad weather and that mine must not have been setup properly, but I've yet to meet anyone in the real world who says they don't have problems from time to time.

I live in the south east part of the US and have wondered if what part of the country you're located in makes a difference.

I didn't vote because my first hand experience is from awhile back and everything else I've heard is second hand.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Sage Icon

When I had Dish (late 90's) it would only go out in the most severe storms. Those storms were the ones that had me going around and unplugging my electronics so the signal quality was moot anyway.

S
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I had dish for 4 years and never had issues unless there was ice on the dish.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I have DirecTV, but I doubt the technology is all that different, so the facts are probably quite similar. I would also be likely to say that I "never" lose the picture in bad weather, but what that really translates to (as a SageTV user) is that I very rarely lose the picture when a show is due to record. When it does, I just reschedule it. Now, if your area is prone to very heavy rain with thick cloud cover or serious snow storms which last for hours, a satellite provider may not be the best choice.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Sage Icon

I have had DISH before and currently have DirecTV. Both will go out during a severe thunderstorm. Normal rain is just fine but anything that shows up red on the Doppler radar map will block the signal. Ice and Snow are rare here in North Carolina so not really sure about them.

My tuners are a HDHR with an antenna and two DirecTV H20 with HD-PVRs. It is really only a few times a year that I ever see the problem but I can force an OTA recording for most things if I think it may be a problem. Also:There is usually an online source if you actually miss part of a recording.

Also: Quality of the HD Cable choices and feeds I have seen in my area sucks.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I live in No CA USA and had to peak the aiming of my dish, previously I lost signal during some heavier weather after I peaked it I haven't lost signal in any weather (so far!). The multi-satellite dish requires an accurate aiming to get sufficient signal in heavy weather situations and the installers don't always take enough time to set them up accurately.

Several years ago I was losing signal only during and after a rain. The white plastic dome on the LNB had deteriorated to the point it let water into the LNB and messed with the signal. New LNB fixed the problem.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Satellite signals do not pass through water, only between the droplets. So the larger the dish the more rain fade resistant the reception becomes. Although in South Florida I will lose signal at times even with a 36" dish.

Do I need to connect Sage to a rain gauge next?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

Severe thunderstorms only.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
So the larger the dish the more rain fade resistant the reception becomes. Although in South Florida I will lose signal at times even with a 36" dish.
Ditto

I use 3 of these.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=615798309404

and

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...omponents&sku=

plus one of these

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...iswitches&sku=

Thats good enough for 4 tuners and I only lose 129w when it gets really bad out. I dunno that I have ever lost 110w or 119w.

Having 1 dish per orbital makes it MUCH easier to DIY peak/align them, also if an LNBF fails I can just swing one of the others over. I could support a max 12 tuners by adding more DP34 switches.

I ran 2 RG6QS from each LNBF to my network cabinet where I installed the DP34 on 1 from each leaving the other for future expansion.

In OK we have ice storms that can take out power for extended periods, Cox is good for about 6 hours before they fail. Dish is no problem running from my genset.

I'm enjoying it!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I've had Dish for a few years now, and have never had problems.. though, i live in southern california, so I have little rain, and a very high elevation on the dish. When I lived in Seattle, and had Voom, I needed a 36" dish to pick up the signal reliable in any sort of rain (keep in mind, Voom only had one satellite, and it was south of Florida... not an easy pick from the Pacific northwest...) Still, once I put up the big dish, it worked out great.

I'm not sure they make over sized elliptical dishes that are 'required' for current sat setups. You may have to go to 2 or 3 large round dishes to get all the birds you need if you want to replace the smallish elliptical.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
i live in southern california,
Ah explains so much
Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Ah explains so much

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

I only loose signal during the most intense thunderstorms/rainstorms. So yes it does happen, but not very often.

The other thing that can cause a loss of signal is snow accumulating on the dish itself. But Dish no longer will mount directly to a house, so most installations will be on a pole located at ground level. This makes it easy to keep the snow off. If the dish was on the roof, it would probably be more of an issue.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Severe thunderstorms only.
I see the same thing here. I am in eastern Iowa, so we do get severe thunderstorms. FWIW, I have more problems with the local Fox station that I do with the Dish receiver.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to give it a try and I'll be back here for advice on aiming/larger dish if I have issues.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure how to answer the poll, it depends on what you consider "bad". I'd say like most here, "bad" weather isn't an issue (probably 5 years on Dish here), it's only "severe" weather that's an issue.

I always laugh a bit when I see one of cable's commercials talking about rain fade. Why? Well because while it's true there is rain fade with satellite, it's predicable (you know the bad weather is coming) and it's rarely more than a couple minutes. In contrast with cable, I've seen way more random flakyness.

Satellite, outside of severe weather is as near as makes no difference, perfect. I can't say the same thing for cable from my experience with my parents' service or that of my friends.

Oh, and if your area is like mine, satellite slaughters cable in terms of HD availability. I think there's only 2 channels I ever record anything on that aren't HD on Dish, it would probably be more like 50% if I had cable.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I think this has been covered well enough, but what the heck I'll throw my experience in as well:

In severe weather I will lose signal. However, I capture my locals via ClearQAM and OTA so even when my dish loses signal, I still get all of the network shows and I still get the local weather to know whether to take cover! Further, cable channels generally play shows over and over again, so whenever the weather causes me to miss a show, I just tell Sage it was a wrong recording and it records it at a later date.....

Severe weather and college football coincide is the only time I miss cable and then I just make a drive to my favorite watering hole instead....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
SageTVaholic

In my previous post I used the term bad weather and I've seen a lot of people using the term severe weather. To be more clear when I said bad weather that included very heavy rain with no lightening or high winds.

As for people with spotty cable service, I think that really depends on your provider and maybe more importantly your local office.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
In my previous post I used the term bad weather and I've seen a lot of people using the term severe weather. To be more clear when I said bad weather that included very heavy rain with no lightening or high winds.
It's pretty much got to be a thunderstorm in my experience. And beyond that it has to be largely south of you. Or to put it another way, basically what it takes to knock out the signal is a big, tall, high precipitation cell that lines up directly between you and the satellite. Basically means a rather strong thunderstorm that covers the area south of you.

The location is key, because IIRC I've been hit with a pretty strong thunderstorm in the past, but I was on the very south edge of it (not much of the storm south of me) and it didn't take out the signal.

Quote:
As for people with spotty cable service, I think that really depends on your provider and maybe more importantly your local office.
My point though is weather is really the only thing to worry about with satellite. Any other problems is going to affect all of their subscribers and as such is fixed very, very quickly. Where as with cable, if you're unlucky enough to get spotty service, there's much less incentive because you may be only one of millions of their customers with that issue. Cable can go out for hours or days if something goes wrong.

Satellite, worst case you're out for a few minutes while the storm passes.