SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Favorite records same episodes repeatedly

Several shows's episodes list as first runs are recorded repeatedly.
Is there a way to prevent watched episodes from re-recording?
Old 11-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post

Several shows's episodes list as first runs are recorded repeatedly.
Is there a way to prevent watched episodes from re-recording?
This is most likely a program guide data issue.

Either your scheduler had no data as to the specific episode it was recording, or didn't get the data until the recording had started(or the data turned up after the recording finished). In any of those scenarios, SageTV is going to err on the side of caution and assume it may be new content, and will record it for you. Once it has started recording, Sage will default to continuing to record, and retaining the recording, even if it now knows you have a recording of it already.

The only thing you can do is manually delete after the fact. This is a case of Garbage In -> Garbage Out. If the network, or the program guide data provider aren't bothering to provide the relevant information, SageTV can't screen the content for you. You'll have to screen it the old fashioned way, by checking it yourself.

I think you'll find your "problem programming" is tied to certain specific channels on your programming lineup, and that it doesn't happen much elsewhere.

Another option that will throw the scheduler is "repackaged" programming. So if they aired episode 3&4 together one night, and then air Episode 3 and 4 separately on another night, that is going to be 3 different programs as far as SageTV is concerned. You know they're the same thing, but SageTV's program guide doesn't know that.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes - I get that. It would be nice to have a favorite option to only record first runs on their original airing date.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

There is an advanced setting that may help this. It's called something like "Detect duplicate episodes with non-unique IDs". Check to see if that is set to true.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
There is an advanced setting that may help this. It's called something like "Detect duplicate episodes with non-unique IDs". Check to see if that is set to true.
I've been looking for that feature for a while - any idea where it's hidden? I didn't see it in "Advanced" or "Customize"

Edit - found it under "Customize" - thanks, let's see if it works
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-17-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

You can add a keyword filter "EP\d+" to a favorite and it will ignore favorites that aren't tied to a specific episode. Such generic shows have a different style of ID number, so they can be filtered out.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You can add a keyword filter "EP\d+" to a favorite and it will ignore favorites that aren't tied to a specific episode. Such generic shows have a different style of ID number, so they can be filtered out.
sorry stupid question here, do I literally put EP\d+ in the keyword section under my favorite? I have a lot of shows on cable channels that always record multiple episodes because it sees them as new
Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasex1998 View Post
sorry stupid question here, do I literally put EP\d+ in the keyword section under my favorite? I have a lot of shows on cable channels that always record multiple episodes because it sees them as new
Here is how I have it defined on a favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: png EP airings only.png (139.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Sage User

I have mine literally set that way but I still get duplicates
Old 08-25-2017, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasex1998 View Post
I have mine literally set that way but I still get duplicates
Are you getting duplicates of actual episodes? or are you getting recordings that are showing only series info, with no specific episode information?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a problem with USA network for both Suits and Queen of the South recording multiple times. Not a big deal, but as best I can tell the showIDs are the same.

I also have issues with Sea Hunt, How the Universe Works and Impossible Engineering and they have generic showids (late 4 digits are all 0000). Most of these are 2-3 weeks out, and I suspect will get detailed with future guide updates.
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Old 09-07-2017, 05:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I have a problem with USA network for both Suits and Queen of the South recording multiple times. Not a big deal, but as best I can tell the showIDs are the same.

I also have issues with Sea Hunt, How the Universe Works and Impossible Engineering and they have generic showids (late 4 digits are all 0000). Most of these are 2-3 weeks out, and I suspect will get detailed with future guide updates.
Nothing can be done about that. If the epg doesn't know it's a specific episode, it's going to err on the side of recording it. All you could potentially do is use the keyword I listed up above that will prevent any of those from recording - but then you may end up missing episodes if the episode specific guide data isn't there by the day it airs.