SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Sage Icon

Post "unprecedented wave of java exploits" - SageTV, what do we do?

Microsoft Malware Protection Center

I have seen these java exploits first-hand, and let me tell you they are no joke. They can get around UAC, and they can get around security products. Once installed, they prevent execution of task manager, registry editor, the command prompt.. pretty much anything you need to attempt to clean them. They install malware all over the place, setup listeners and browser proxies. I even saw one that corrupted Symantec Endpoint.

Running as an un-privileged user is helpful but will not stop the install if you get exploited. You'll have to logon as an Admin and clean with up-to-the-minute security product.

Blocking java applets in browser options is the only option I see, unless SageTV can give us guidance on keeping Java updated?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Why is this SageTV's worry? If you don't want your machine to get infected, don't use it for anything but SageTV or switch to Linux

B
Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Sage User

As far as I can tell these exploits are when using Java embedded in a browser; i.e., using applets--especially those of unknown origin. SageTV isn't based on applets, though it does use Java under the hood.

Rich
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Sage Icon

Same stuff would happen if you browsed the web on your cable box, just keep SageTV as a single use appliance and you have much less to worry about.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
Blocking java applets in browser options is the only option I see, unless SageTV can give us guidance on keeping Java updated?
This may go without saying... but given how prevalent browser attacks are...I'd recommend never running java applets, activex controls, or flash. If you must, then I'd use something like NoScript, so that you can control which sites you 'trust' to run code on your computer.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM
SageTVaholic

That's what I do.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I run Java v1.6.x on my desktop station and it handles the Sage Client just fine. It remains updated.

I probably have the Sage-installed 1.4.x on my WHS box, but being literally just a server, there's zero web browsing on that machine. The homepage for the machine is Windows Update, so the likelihood of a problem there is minimal.

(All home machines are behind a physical firewall)

Although it pays to pay attention to these threats, just make sure you have mitigating controls or behaviors in play to prevent them from being a big concern.

-Greg
Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Sage Icon

I do not browse from my SageTV server.

However, my SageTV Client is on my main workstation, where I spend the vast majority of time in my browser. Unfortunately, my all online school schedule requires both java for programming as well as java (and flash) through the browser. Disabling either (or running something like noscript) is simply not an option.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
I do not browse from my SageTV server.

However, my SageTV Client is on my main workstation, where I spend the vast majority of time in my browser. Unfortunately, my all online school schedule requires both java for programming as well as java (and flash) through the browser. Disabling either (or running something like noscript) is simply not an option.
You may misunderstand the purpose of NoScript... basically you grant access to some sites to run java and flash, but not all sites. So your school sites would be able to execute java and flash, but other sites would not. Now if it turns out that your school sites are the source of the java expliot, then you're screwed