SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Something hogging the CPU

I returned home yesterday evening to find my SageTV system virtually unresponsive. I assumed that it was an issue with Sage and (slowly) quit the front end (I run in service mode). I didn't reboot as the service was recording.

However even with Sage closed the system was very unresponsive. The task manager showed CPU utilisation fluctuating around 50% (this is a hyperthreaded CPU so that really means 100%) but no processes in the task manager showed significant CPU utilisation. Network utilisation was also bobbling about 5-6% (wired ethernet 100base).

It transpired that this had been happening for some time and had caused Sage to fail to change channels on my STBs successfully (presumably it just timed out).

Rebooting the PC cleared everything up but I'm concerned that no process claimed responsibility. I ran a Panda online virus scan (its a dedicated Sage box with no resident antivirus software) and Panda found no viruses but a few smatterings of adware that I removed with Spybot S&D. Spybot also found one service loading at start that I couldn't account for (in fact it IDed it as a worm, but then it identified the ultraVNC driver as a worm also). I disabled the dodgy service anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on, could a driver crash cause this?

System
P4 3.0 on intel 848 MBoard, 2*512Mb RAM,2* 400Gb PATA drives, PATA DVD ROM drive; all parallel ports, serial ports and SATA controllers disabled in Bios.
PR350, PVR250
nVidia 6200A graphics card
Audiotrak 7.1LT audio

Sage 5.02.90 on JRE 1.5.5
nVidia purevideo decoders (current version off nvidia website) VMR9 FSE
STV: SageMC
LM gestion xmltv translator v1.4
Old 05-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know but perhaps my thread is related...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18220

Mike
Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

no recurrences yet but I ran another virus scan (bit defender) and nothing was found so I'm feeling happier.

Eric