SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
ReadyNAS provides an HCL that includes "consumer" drives. Anything on the list they support.
Do you know what Netgear does before they put drives on the HCL? I assume that just basically means that they do some amount of testing with the drives, and promise not to complain about your drive choice if you call in to support. That doesn't necessarily mean they work well.

QNAP has a much larger list of drives on their HCL, including the Caviar Green line. Could QNAP be doing something to deal with the lack of TLER support in those drives? Maybe. But I think it is more likely that they did some basic tests and it works. That doesn't mean it will keep working well in 3 years when the hard drive has to do some error handling.

The ReadyNAS HCL is so small its sort of moot, at least to me. It includes 3 2TB drives. One is officially an enterprise class drive (the WD drive). The Hitachi is hard to find, and priced like an enterprise class drive. And the Seagate has some of the worst reviews of all the 2TB drives. And, I find it very confusing, since the Seagate and Hitachi drives don't seem to have TLER/CCTL/ERC.

While technical support from companies is nice, from my experience they just offer some guarantee that the product will work- not that it will work well. So, seeing some drives on the official HCL doesn't really make me feel that much better until users back them up. Unfortunately, the ReadyNAS forum doesn't seem to be nearly as active as the QNAP forum.

What do you think? Do you think the TLER/CCTL/ERC is overrated? I mean, I realize that people on forums like that will disproportionately be people with problems, but it seems like there are enough people with WD drives that had problems until TLER was turned on that it ought to be a concern. And industry folks apparently think its important too, since they all support this feature.

Allegedly you can set the error recovery time limit on pretty much all new drives using SMART commands, but the settings will only survive a system reboot with the RAID drives. Maybe QNAP or Netgear will start supporting those commands (it doesn't sound like they do yet) so they can be reset every restart.