SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Move to new computer

I'm in a quandary. I need to move everything to a new computer, including a fresh install of OS. I have been using Sage for a long time (8 years). In that time I have misplaced my license key for the Media Server. Cant find it anywhere.

Is there a way to move the present installation to a new computer without re installing the program? If I install the program the license key must be put in, and again I don't have it now.

If I do a new install, and then overwrite the SageTV folder will my current license info come forward? Where is the info kept?

Thanks
George M
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Contact SageTV support if you ordered from them they will have a copy of your license.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

I didn't think Sage Support was still active. I will contact them. However I think (very fuzzy as long time ago) i purchased from an online store - not directly from Sage.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
I didn't think Sage Support was still active. I will contact them. However I think (very fuzzy as long time ago) i purchased from an online store - not directly from Sage.
You probably got it from PCAlchemy if that is the case Sage Support cannot help you.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Im afraid you may be correct. So are there any options? Is it possible to retrieve the key from my existing installation?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not that I know of. I did the same thing but got lucky and found my old email with my code after a lot of searching. I tried contacting SageTV but they had no record of my license since I did not buy it from them. There is a license for sell right now on the forums if you to do that instead or contact Support and see if they could help.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

I contacted Mike in the marketplace forum and purchased his license for a reasonable price.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

After moving my stuff to a new system a few years ago I almost ran into the same situation. I couldn't find my SageTV license Emails anywhere.

I got lucky and dug out an HD I had pulled from my main machine. Nothing wrong with the drive (even though it was pretty long in the tooth) I had just upgraded to a larger HD.
Digging around on the drive I found my old Email program and further searching got me all my license Emails. They now are stored on several machines as well as hard copies. Phew!!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

When you First setup your email did you check the box to "save a copy to server"? And if you didn't clean out your mailbox then try logging in to your provider and check if a copy still exists.

Just a thought.