SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2016, 04:14 PM
timg11's Avatar
timg11 timg11 is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 398
Windows 10 upgrade - works except NET START SAGETV?

I just upgraded to Windows 10. I kept the 32 bit version for now.

Before starting the upgrade I ran NET STOP SAGETV from the Windows 7 command prompt.

After Windows 10 booted, I thought I would restart Sage TV with
NET START SAGETV

However that responds with System Error 5 Access Denied.

On the other hand, it seems the Sage Server is already running. Everything seems to be working so far (after 5 minutes of testing) . Programs record from the HD-PVR and HD-Homerun. Playback on the HD-300 is working.

I use the Net Start and Net Stop commands in script files in my daily reboot files, so I want to figure out what has changed there.
__________________
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-2016, 04:17 PM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
I just upgraded to Windows 10. I kept the 32 bit version for now.

Before starting the upgrade I ran NET STOP SAGETV from the Windows 7 command prompt.

After Windows 10 booted, I thought I would restart Sage TV with
NET START SAGETV

However that responds with System Error 5 Access Denied.

On the other hand, it seems the Sage Server is already running. Everything seems to be working so far (after 5 minutes of testing) . Programs record from the HD-PVR and HD-Homerun. Playback on the HD-300 is working.

I use the Net Start and Net Stop commands in script files in my daily reboot files, so I want to figure out what has changed there.
You need an elevated prompt to Net Start a service... So your Script will have to run with Admin Privileges. If you right click on the windows start Icon you will see 2 types of command prompt.
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-02-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2016, 04:24 PM
HelenWeathers's Avatar
HelenWeathers HelenWeathers is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,321
The only way I got this to work automatically in Win 10 was to set up user act as administrator with username & passoord and scheduled task to run my startup batch file (with net start sagetv among other things) after login of that admin account and set up to run with elevated piviledges.

I did then set up autologin for that admin account.

Works well.

EDIT: I used services.msc to set up the sagetv service as manual startup instead of automaic.
__________________
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 07-02-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:00 PM
timg11's Avatar
timg11 timg11 is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 398
Thanks for the replies. I have dozens of CMD scripts that mostly run as scheduled tasks that I've developed over the past decade to keep SageTV running reliably, and compensate for issues with the cable box. Over the next day after upgrading, I started getting all kinds of error messages, and many of the tasks did not work properly. Apparently Windows 10 has made some significant changes to the standard CMD batch scripting language. I was seeing syntax errors for simple things like renaming a file: "ren oldfilename.txt newfilename.txt"

Apparently permissions are different, and file sharing is different as well. Shares on the server didn't work, and the server was unable to access other machines.

So I rolled back to the Windows 7 environment for the present time. I don't want to get into debugging all the scripts right now. I'm going to be changing over to Google in the next few months, so maybe I'll use that as the opportunity to try Win 10 again. In the meantime, I'll look for a good resource on the OS changes.
__________________
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.

Last edited by timg11; 07-03-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have dozens of CMD scripts that mostly run as scheduled tasks that I've developed over the past decade to keep SageTV running reliably, and compensate for issues with the cable box. Over the next day after upgrading, I started getting all kinds of error messages, and many of the tasks did not work properly. Apparently Windows 10 has made some significant changes to the standard CMD batch scripting language. I was seeing syntax errors for simple things like renaming a file: "ren oldfilename.txt newfilename.txt"

Apparently permissions are different, and file sharing is different as well. Shares on the server didn't work, and the server was unable to access other machines.

So I rolled back to the Windows 7 environment for the present time. I don't want to get into debugging all the scripts right now. I'm going to be changing over to Google in the next few months, so maybe I'll use that as the opportunity to try Win 10 again. In the meantime, I'll look for a good resource on the OS changes.
Security wise, there aren't many changes between 7, 8, and 10. Most likely it's more an issue of your scripts needing to be run as the proper user.
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2016, 09:46 AM
timg11's Avatar
timg11 timg11 is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Security wise, there aren't many changes between 7, 8, and 10. Most likely it's more an issue of your scripts needing to be run as the proper user.
So the upgrade process does not preserve the user rights and permissions from the Windows 7 environment? The Windows 7 account on my SageTV server is set for administrator and everything runs properly.

Is there an option during the Windows 10 upgrade to preserve the user permissions that I missed?
__________________
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 AM
HelenWeathers's Avatar
HelenWeathers HelenWeathers is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
Is there an option during the Windows 10 upgrade to preserve the user permissions that I missed?
The problem is that it is preserving your Win 7 permissions - but they aren't elevated enough to satisfy the newer requirements. Once you bite the bullet & change to the new requirements (ie use user name & password) for executing some commands in script files you'll find you can run commands like rename in script files & access your netwokk locations in the nomal manner.

I didn't like it, but you just have to do it.
__________________
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A SageTV for windows upgrade is available ... KryptoNyte SageTV Software 2 06-22-2015 06:29 AM
SageTV service won't start after upgrade tmalley SageTV Beta Test Software 13 07-18-2011 04:21 PM
Windows 7 Upgrade, SageTV HD Theater zumpner SageTV HD Theater - Media Player 27 10-22-2009 02:45 PM
SageTV Media Center for Windows Version 6 Upgrade zazz SageTV Software 1 05-28-2008 08:09 PM
SageTV 2.0 will not start on Windows 2000 Adv. Server aikon SageTV Beta Test Software 4 04-24-2004 03:15 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.