SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Controlling DTV IRD with Serial Connection

Picked that when setting up the source, and the proper comm port, but it will not shift the station.

How do trace this?

OR is there a way to use an external "exe" to change it.
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4
Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Network Tuning fails after a day

Before this is moved to the proper sub-forum, I'd appreciate it staying here
for a few days - that forum doesn't have any "action".

Here's the deal: I'm using ExeTuner to control via network, my DTV IRD. It works for maybe a day 1/2 and then no longer changes channels. I've been working on trying to isolate it but this is as far as I can get; when it stops:

1. I can still ping the IRD.
2. If I run a channel change through a browser it DOES NOT work.
3. If I run dtvtune.exe with the proper variables it DOES work.
4. If I load up NPVR using it's networking tuning exe(service is never running)
it DOES WORK. Stop service, go back to STV and still DOES NOT change
channels.
5. Reboot and all is well.

Today, I fiddled with the DirecTVMultiChg.bat and after copying over the file
from the zip and changing the IP in it (effectively making it exactly the same as what was there), it DID WORK and changed channels.
When I set up the tuner and picked the method of changing channels, there was never an option to pick the IP, which I've seen mentioned in the hardware forum where this should be posted.

I did notice one thing, the bat file wants a registry entry which appears to be is different from what dtvtune.exe wants. In the registry it wants the entry to be: command"="DirecTVMultiChg.bat %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%" but the variable passed to dtvtune is dtvTune.exe -channel %CHANRAW% -ip %USEIP% reversed it seems to me.

This acts the same way with the direct tv http tuning dll method.

I'm stumped and have missed most of my recordings.

Any ideas where to start?

* merged *
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4
Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I use the DLL in the zip file in the following link to tune my DirecTV boxes. It doesn't require ExeTuner.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...9&postcount=28
Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I use the DLL in the zip file in the following link to tune my DirecTV boxes. It doesn't require ExeTuner.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...9&postcount=28

That pretty much does the same thing.
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4
Old 07-07-2016, 08:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBraverman View Post
That pretty much does the same thing.
It works for a day and a half and then doesn't? You tried that too?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
It works for a day and a half and then doesn't? You tried that too?
Huh, it seemed clear when I wrote it - doesn't now. Yes I changed to that when I first realized that dtvtune stopped working. When I found THAT not working, I tried the IR Blaster for the HD-PVR, but never got it working so I went back to dtvtune.

When I woke the machine this morning, it wouldn't tune. Went to Firefox, and changed the channel, claimed it did, it didn't. Went to dtvtune with proper variables and it changed. Back into STV and it won't change channels.

Tried the bat file that calls dtvtune and it won't change the channels.

Rebooted and it works - for now.

Now the IR Blaster doesn't even show up in selection of "tuning devices".

The program - from NPVR - that always works, is DTVipcontrol, anyway of adding this or am I going to have to write a dll for it (which I have never done)?
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4

Last edited by RBraverman; 07-08-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Huh, it seemed clear when I wrote it - doesn't now. Yes I changed to that when I first realized that dtvtune stopped working. When I found THAT not working, I tried the IR Blaster for the HD-PVR, but never got it working so I went back to dtvtune.

When I woke the machine this morning, it wouldn't tune. Went to Firefox, and changed the channel, claimed it did, it didn't. Went to dtvtune with proper variables and it changed. Back into STV and it won't change channels.

Tried the bat file that calls dtvtune and it won't change the channels.

Rebooted and it works - for now.

Now the IR Blaster doesn't even show up in selection of "tuning devices".

The program - from NPVR - that always works, is DTVipcontrol, anyway of adding this or am I going to have to write a dll for it (which I have never done)?
The DLL would have to be unique to SageTV like the one in the zip file I linked to. I doubt the NextPVR one would work. With what you are seeing are you allowing the DTV box to go to sleep? Kind of sounds that way with your results. I have turned that off on all of my DTV boxes so that they are always on. Have very seldom had a miss-tune. Matter of fact I can only remember two in 7 years.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The DLL would have to be unique to SageTV like the one in the zip file I linked to. I doubt the NextPVR one would work. With what you are seeing are you allowing the DTV box to go to sleep? Kind of sounds that way with your results. I have turned that off on all of my DTV boxes so that they are always on. Have very seldom had a miss-tune. Matter of fact I can only remember two in 7 years.
Once again, I didn't write everything - the DTVIPControl.exe IS an exe not a dll. I figured I'd have to write a dll so that I could get STV to use an exe as channel changer.
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4
Old 07-08-2016, 03:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Once again, I didn't write everything - the DTVIPControl.exe IS an exe not a dll. I figured I'd have to write a dll so that I could get STV to use an exe as channel changer.
The ExeTuner idea would let you execute an executable as long as it took the channel number as a parameter. If not you would have to put the exe in a batch file and execute that which would then be responsible for taking the channel number input and formatting the call to the exe with the correct parameters. (Edit: which maybe how you have to do it - it's been along time since I tried to use ExeTuner). But I'm assuming you already tried this when you tried ExeTuner. Not sure what to tell you as I said I've never really had a tuning problem on DirecTV except when I had to use IR to change channels.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Talking

Quote:
The ExeTuner idea would let you execute an executable as long as it took the channel number as a parameter. If not you would have to put the exe in a batch file and execute that which would then be responsible for taking the channel number input and formatting the call to the exe with the correct parameters. (Edit: which maybe how you have to do it - it's been along time since I tried to use ExeTuner). But I'm assuming you already tried this when you tried ExeTuner. Not sure what to tell you as I said I've never really had a tuning problem on DirecTV except when I had to use IR to change channels.
I got to thinking (thank you for that, I try REALLY hard not to, headaches and all), and this morning when it didn't tune, I ran dtvtune from the commandline and it did tune. SO, it finally dawned on me that there's something going on with STV.

I did a repair re-install, which took out Gemstone, but it immediately tuned. Now let's see.

2 things: For the life of me I can not find the recordings padding setting and where is the setting to set Sage as a service?

MANY thanks - especially if it works.

It doesn't sort of, but I've pinned it down.

If I DO NOT start the service, and start STV Gemstone doesn't load and when I switch channels, not only does it seem to work consistently, I can see the dos box pop when it changes channels. When the service is started before loading STV Gemstone gets loaded (disabling it does not remove it) and channel changing doesn't work.

My assumption is that something in Gemstone, or the way I set it up is the culprit. I just need to get the configuration backed up so I can run the service but NOT Gemstone and see.

Off to that forum - don't wanna make Andy any madder at me.

***************************** update *************************

It's the service.
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4

Last edited by RBraverman; 07-09-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Service stops channel changes

Thinking it was Gemstone, uninstalled it, and the tuning might work, oh say 4-5 times, then stop. Sleep the machine after one successful change, wake in tha am and it will not change channels.

With the service started it'll work 4-5 times then stop, when it stops, I exit, stop the service restart sage and it works all day. Exit sage start the service and 4-5 and it stops.

I had started a recording, that hadn't changed the channel, I stopped Sage, stopped the service, restarted sage, and as it was starting a DOS box flashed, and it changed the channel and resumed recording.

If I leave it minimized it'll work just fine.

The service is set to interact with the desktop and start as a local user.

Also did a repair install, have NOT un-installed and re-installed.

I'm using dtvtune, but the same thing happens with the HTTP changer.

Any ideas I've been a week tracking this down.

* merged *
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4
Old 07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you have a user setup for service mode or are you using "Local System"? I would suggest you setup a user or even better use the same user as when you load SageTV in GUI mode. Then you can get more equal tests.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Do you have a user setup for service mode or are you using "Local System"? I would suggest you setup a user or even better use the same user as when you load SageTV in GUI mode. Then you can get more equal tests.
Done and still the same.

Opened up STV this am, and changed channels, didn't change. Exited, stopped the service, re-opened STV and as it was loading, a DOS box popped up and the channel I HAD tuned to, had now been tuned.

************************* edit ********************************

Looks like I was wrong all the way around. Service stopped, I programmed a recording, had STV in windowed, and when the recording started, the DOS box popped up (which I have always assumed is DTVMultichg.bat), and kinda hung, but nothing showed in it and the channel did not change.

So, other than one shot at a re-install, doesn't look like I'm going to be able to use STV. which REALLY stinks.

************************ update 2 ************************************

The recording finished, I exited the program, service still off, re-loaded the program and GUESS WHAT IT BLOODY WORKS.

**************************** Update 3 *************************

Uninstalled, re-installed and exactly the same.

I have NO idea how to trace this.
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4

Last edited by RBraverman; 07-10-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I have not ever used the exetuner or exemultituner, so I can't help specificly, but if something is working when in standalone (just running sagetv.exe) but not as a service, than it is likely due to the service running under a different user account. I think the exetuner uses a registry key for it's configuration, which is probably tied to the user registry. Try configuring the service to run as the same user you are getting success in standalone more with (use SageTVServiceControl.exe to set the user that the service runs as).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I have not ever used the exetuner or exemultituner, so I can't help specificly, but if something is working when in standalone (just running sagetv.exe) but not as a service, than it is likely due to the service running under a different user account. I think the exetuner uses a registry key for it's configuration, which is probably tied to the user registry. Try configuring the service to run as the same user you are getting success in standalone more with (use SageTVServiceControl.exe to set the user that the service runs as).

Understood, and did change user, then repair intall, then uninstall/re-install, after loosing my Gemstone backup (have archive file of the whole thing). Didn't change anything - really odd as it does work - then just stop. Changed to the IR Blaster and it's worked for 3 days now. I can't try the the serial port - blew my back, and I need to get behind everything to get at it to fix it. THAT, if it works - would eliminate it to the network, which is just plain/fancy odd, typical of my stuff.

NOW, this morning, the bloody web server /problem accessing /sage/Home
NOT_FOUND.
BUT bmt works.

One fixed, another one bites the dust ....
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4

Last edited by RBraverman; 07-12-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
NOW, this morning, the bloody web server /problem accessing /sage/Home
NOT_FOUND.
BUT bmt works.

One fixed, another one bites the dust ....
Just to verify - you DO have the SageTV Web Interface plugin installed?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Just to verify - you DO have the SageTV Web Interface plugin installed?
1. re: "what do I do in the interim" - I have NO idea where that came from.
2. re: The Web Interface; yeah it was installed, I just didn't post it very well as usual, it was working fine the day before then just stopped.

I screwed a lot of this up, so what I did, was rename this installed directory and copy over my latest backup of 2 days ago or so. Everything was working with that (other than the network changing of the IRD), except the IR Blaster (which I seem to have to use now). I copied the new sage.properties over the 2 day old one and I've got all my Gemstone setup working, the IR Blaster works etc.

Gonna leave it alone for a few days until I can get behind the PC and repair the DTV serial control cable. Then I can see that that works within Sage.

Sorry for all the confusion, but my posts really do make sense when I first write them.
Base STV V7.1.9.12
JettyWebServer V2.3.0.14
Phoenix Core V 3.0.4
Old 07-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Sorry for all the confusion, but my posts really do make sense when I first write them.
We'll all have to pay attention in future & be sure to read them when you first post them.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT