SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Sage User

[SOLVED] - Sage won't record shows (it worked 2 days ago)

EDIT:
I uninstalled AVG (AntiVirus) software and it seems like it is all back to normal and I am able to record / watch live TV.
There were two instances of AVG listed in Installed Programs, I removed both of them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure what has changed, but my SageTV won't record shows.
It worked fine a few days ago.

Background:
A few days ago, the PC that has my Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuner card was flipping out, big time. I had to power the PC off to get control back. I never found out what was going on or what caused that issue.

This is an old WinXP setup, Sage ver 7.x something, but it has been working GREAT up until a day or so ago.

I CAN still watch recordings, I just can't record anything new. I get a "No Signal" message on screen if I try to view Live TV.

I know my cable signal is good as I can see channels on my TV when I watch "real" tv.

I also tried NextPVR software (I didn't totally set it up) and was able to see TV tuned through my tuner card. So I think my hardware is all good.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what might be going on here or what I could check to correct the issue?

If you need additional information to help me troubleshoot, please don't hesitate to ask and I will track down the info or provide more input.

TIA,
Scott

Last edited by SVinzant; 04-09-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Solved issue - I think
Old 04-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Sage Icon

Do you have a backup of your sage.properties file before the incident ?
If so, shutdown Sage, backup sagetv folder, restore with older Sage.properties file, start Sage,see if issue resolved. Or delete and readd the tuner to see if that fixes it
Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the suggestions GrayWolf.
I do think I have solved the issue (see my edited OP) by removing AVG :/
I will keep an eye on things for the next few days, and research some new / different AntiVirus software as well...
Scott
Old 04-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've got the same problem. 2 days ago everything was fine now I can't watch or record from my cable box via Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500MCE composite or S-video inputs. I've swapped out the card removed & reinstalled the drivers and tried a AVerTVHD MCE A180 with the same results. What Antivirus program are you using? In the past I've had problems with some antivirus programs deleting some of SageTV as a 'virus'. I'm currently using Free Avast Antivirus and it updated its profiles about time of the occurrence.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Sage User

Paul H, I was using the "Free" version of AVG.
http://www.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
It's a "free" download, and I was using the "basic" protection / no-cost version.
I have used it for YEARS with zero issues.
Granted, the PC that my SageTV stuff is running on is WinXP, I don't think that should matter.
Try disabling or removing your antivirus software (temporally) to see if that clears up the issue.
Scott
Old 04-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I Removed Avast Free from my server, rebooted (twice) and restarted my client and everything returned to normal!
I replaced my AVP with Panda free. Still working!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the HU Paul H!
I will look into Panda.
I may also (if I get time) reload AVG and look around in the setting to see if an exception can be set to ignore the SageTV stuff.
Scott
Old 04-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting. I had the same problem and spent the entire day looking for a solution. I first thought it had to do with Windows update. I have now removed Avast and things are back to normal.

Avast and Avg are one and the same (https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one) so that's why they behave in the same way.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've found that Amiti Antivirus (http://www.netgate.sk/products/amiti-antivirus/) works OK with SageTV.