SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

7.0.12 pegging cpu at 100%

Since I have installed 7.0.12 I have been having issues with the SageTV service pegging my WHS cpu at 100%. I don't have any more details than that other than if I go to the WHS console and stop and restart the service my cpu usage goes back to normal.

Any ideas what might be causing this or how I can log something more useful to report with this issue in the future?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you have any plugins installed? If so, start removing them one by one to see if the removal of one solves the problem. If you don't have any plugins installed and you're positive it is Sage that's pegging your CPU then I'd initiate a conversation with Sage support.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have a similar problem, I have a dual core system and sage from time to time takes the CPU to 50%(one core pegged). the problem I find it not always a hard core peg but a growing of CPU usage over time.

I opened a ticket with sage and one thing they saw was that the image screen savers were using on my extenders used about 7% of CPU each. I have a few extenders so if everything is idle on the screen saver that can cause a hit. I moved all the extenders to either go to sleep or the dancing sage logo and that seemed to help.

What i see now is a high CPU usage that may not peg but seems to be higher then needed. If i start from scratch(fresh reboot) and start to record a show it uses maybe 3% CPU. If I play a show maybe it uses 3-4% CPU. I know the scheduler uses only few % of CPU when doing its thing. I don't know what is pushing it up to 30%-40% considering that from a fresh reboot I can record on all three tuners plus playback for under 15% CPU.

I think there is something funky going on it but it is tough to put a finger on it.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Do you have any plugins installed? If so, start removing them one by one to see if the removal of one solves the problem. If you don't have any plugins installed and you're positive it is Sage that's pegging your CPU then I'd initiate a conversation with Sage support.
I just have the ortus trailer plugin installed. I will uninstall it tonight and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

FWIW I've seen this problem as well. Last night it happened after I was playing back a recording and I was skipping around and then playback froze. I restarted my HD100 and saw very sluggish behavior navigating the menus. I checked the server and it was not quite 100% but pretty close. I restarted Sage and it was fine.
I had a whole bunch of various plugins installed plus this was an install on top of a sage 6 (with SageMC) install.

Today, I decided to start from scratch.
So, I uninstalled Sage, removed the SageTv directory and reinstalled Sage 7.0.12.
I did restore my wiz.bin and sage.properties but nothing else.
I'll try to leave things as-is (i.e. sans plugins) to see if the problem occurs again. (But, I might have to at least install the Playon plugin ).

Mitch
Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'm seeing the same. Since upgrading to 7.012, CPU usage slowly creaps up after a day or so. I run a quad core and it will run up to 30-40% pegging out 1 core and close to a 2nd. If I restart, cpu usage drops down to about 5%.

I have also had an extender lock up several times coming out of picture screen saver mode.

Let us know what you find, Mitch G.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Since the fresh install I have not seen this problem.
It's worth noting that I couldn't help myself and pretty much immediately started installing plugins - but not all the same ones I had before.
Fwiw these are the plugins i installed:
Comskip playback
CPU meter
Custom video folder
EPG back on guide
Hide exit on menu
Hide volume area from OSD
Install disk usage
Mini guide
Multiple function stop
Playon stvi

A couple that I haven't installed yet that I had before are
Always show submenu
My tv for v7
Sagetv web interface
Sagetv mobile web interface
Sagemc for sage7
Plus I had enabled malore (that 5309 or whatever)

Personally I suspect one of two things:
some interplay between the old sagemc That was installed under sage6 and sage7 in general or with the new sagemc stuff I tried out in sage 7.

Web interface plugins - either on their own or again some interplay type of issue.

Regardless I think the fresh install is a good idea and it was very painless IMO.