SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Ben's middle name is Nancy. As in negative. He is from the UK after all...

Yep the glass is always half empty for me.

I hope I'm wrong but can you really see Google buying a company only to let it continue along its pre-buy out path without changing its compatibility with existing software/hardware, branding etc.

I have no doubt that Jeff thinks that 'his' vision of SageTV is not dead as it will live on in Google"insert name here" but 'our' SageTV is most definitely not getting any future updates/upgrades... so for all intents and purposes its dead.

Only time will tell.

That doesn't mean to say you still can't enjoy whats left of a fully working system.

Last edited by jaminben; 01-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post

Yep the glass is always half empty for me.

I hope I'm wrong but can you really see Google buying a company only to let it continue along its pre-buy out path without changing its compatibility with existing software/hardware, branding etc.

I have no doubt that Jeff thinks that 'his' vision of SageTV is not dead as it will live on in Google"insert name here" but 'our' SageTV is most definitely not getting any future updates/upgrades... so for all intents and purposes its dead.

That doesn't mean to say you still can't enjoy whats left of a fully working system.

Only time will tell.
I've always been a pessimist, and the one thing I can always say (and do) is that I can never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Tell you're new Google overlords that you've got about until the Ceton Echo comes out to at the very least have something to announce or I think you're likely to lose a number of your followers.
Yup. Ceton doing what looks like great things with Q, and the new extenders are exciting too.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Looking at Engadget coverage of CES it seems that TV manufacturers are jumping on the RVU bandwagon big time. Lots of coverage showing comcast, verizon, directv, etc running directly on the TV's. Pretty sweet that no STB is needed (except for DRV "servers") and you get all DVR functionality. With more manufacturers letting you put things like Plex on TV's as well, the need for STB's may disappear completely. Things are looking very interesting indeed.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Anybody but Samsung? I know Samsung is supposed to have RVU in their 2012 smart TVs but I hadn't seen anyone else. And I didn't realize anyone but DTV was showing/planning RVU servers.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

<speculation>Jeff is writing the architecture for Google's version of the AllVid device... They WERE both founding members of the alliance. With the purchase of Motorola's STB division, it gives them the REAL hardware production capabilities to make it a reality (instead of sage's off-the-shelf Chinese extenders). If anything, the silence leads one to believe that Google feels it is a potentially high competition market they are looking at. If they were to be still working on a SageTV as we know it system, with little to know commercial competition, I doubt the secrecy would be so enforced.</speculation>

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought. SageTV is not dead. Ohhh....I wish I could say more...but that time has not come yet....
Thanks for chiming in..
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought. SageTV is not dead. Ohhh....I wish I could say more...but that time has not come yet....
Whatever product you are working on, I'm guessing it won't be out within the next 6 months. So I think you will put everyone's mind at ease for a while if you let us know that the SageTV EPG service will go on for at least another year or more. It's already been 6 months since the buy-out and the thought of EPG service stopping in 6 months is frightening. If you don't know whether EPG will continue after another 6 months, then go find out, make some calls and get to the bottom of it. I think it's a reasonable request from loyal SageTV users.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Has the Google's aquistition of Sage been approved by the FTC?

If it is still in the review stage, then Jeff's hands will be tied on what he can say or can't say. I know Google announced the aquistition but the review stage can take 6 months to a year to decide. If the FTC does not side in favor of Google then I think they can go to court to decide.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmoke View Post
Has the Google's aquistition of Sage been approved by the FTC?

If it is still in the review stage, then Jeff's hands will be tied on what he can say or can't say. I know Google announced the aquistition but the review stage can take 6 months to a year to decide. If the FTC does not side in favor of Google then I think they can go to court to decide.
I don't think the Sage acquisition required FTC approval. I could be wrong but I think it was just too small to be on anybody's radar screen.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Anybody but Samsung? I know Samsung is supposed to have RVU in their 2012 smart TVs but I hadn't seen anyone else. And I didn't realize anyone but DTV was showing/planning RVU servers.
I'm not sure if they are using the RVU route, but there are a few TV's running a FIOS "app". Whatever that means.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

I will switch my position to "cautiously optimistic".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donkey.jpg (30.7 KB, 213 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
I have no doubt that Jeff thinks that 'his' vision of SageTV is not dead as it will live on in Google"insert name here" but 'our' SageTV is most definitely not getting any future updates/upgrades.
I would be highly (though very pleasantly) surprised if whatever Jeff is working on was compatible with what we have now. My guess is that it's something somewhat similar; so similar that Jeff feels that most of us will accept it as a replacement for SageTV and switch to it.

I don't believe that Google will produce any sort of extender that will be compatible with our SageTV. However, my hope is that our existing extenders will be compatible with whatever they produce, with only a firmware update required.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I would be highly (though very pleasantly) surprised if whatever Jeff is working on was compatible with what we have now. My guess is that it's something somewhat similar; so similar that Jeff feels that most of us will accept it as a replacement for SageTV and switch to it.
You may be right. But this is not consistent with what Jeff wrote.

Jeff said "SageTV is not dead." If he is in fact working on a similar but not compatible product, he would have to say that SageTV is in fact dead. If the product is not dead, then he is working on something that is essentially the same product (for his statement to make any sense).

The only other possibility is that he's working on a new product but it is still going to be called "SageTV." That would allow him to say that SageTV wasn't dead even though it was. The trouble with that is that Google doesn't do that. In the past when they have acquired a company for its product, they have usually re-branded it with a Google name (e.g. GMail, Google Voice, etc.) If we ever do get our SageTV back, it will probably be called "Google DVR" or some such.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckewinjones View Post
You may be right. But this is not consistent with what Jeff wrote.

Jeff said "SageTV is not dead." If he is in fact working on a similar but not compatible product, he would have to say that SageTV is in fact dead. If the product is not dead, then he is working on something that is essentially the same product (for his statement to make any sense).

The only other possibility is that he's working on a new product but it is still going to be called "SageTV." That would allow him to say that SageTV wasn't dead even though it was. The trouble with that is that Google doesn't do that. In the past when they have acquired a company for its product, they have usually re-branded it with a Google name (e.g. GMail, Google Voice, etc.) If we ever do get our SageTV back, it will probably be called "Google DVR" or some such.
I think you are reading his statement way to literally
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Sage

OK....one piece of new information. EPG service will continue until at least the end of 2012.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage Expert

THANK YOU!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
OK....one piece of new information. EPG service will continue until at least the end of 2012.
Thanks, Jeff - and thanks for (what I assume to be) your efforts to get your new bosses to let you tell us things like this.

Any chance you could talk someone into allowing you to give us a window of time when we can expect to hear something from you? Even if it's "second half of 2012" or "we're hoping for first quarter 2013" or whatever?
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
end as in 12/21/12 or 12/31/12?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckewinjones View Post
Jeff said "SageTV is not dead."
Quote:
EPG service will continue until at least the end of 2012.
ckewinjones, perhaps this is the sign that you're right?