SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 AM
SageTVaholic

USB-UIRT IR Blasters...where do you get them?

The USB-UIRT only seems to have a single IR connector. What if you've got two or three boxes to blast to? Do people buy these, or make them. If the former, where do you get them?
If you make them, does anyone have a writing schematic?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 AM
Sage Expert

The USB-UIRT essentially has 3 "zones". The 1st zone is just the built in transmitter. The second two zones are from the mini jack port on the USB-UIRT. This mini jack port is a stereo connector, so two different zones can be used via the single jack.

There are cables available for sale that work with the port, but you need to be sure they are wired correctly. See here for some more information: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4634

There is another option depending on your cable/satellite box. Some of them allow you to setup different remote addresses for each box. The Shaw Direct boxes in Canada allow this (I think they support 3 different remote addresses). After setting the addresses on the cable/satellite box, you would teach SageTV (via the USB-UIRT) the codes for each box (since each box now has different codes). Then you would just position the USB-UIRT so that it can send IR codes to all the boxes at once, this way you don't need any external emitters connected to the USB-UIRT. Each box would have different IR codes, so they won't interfere with one another. Again, this depends on whether or not your cable/satellite box supports this feature.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
The USB-UIRT essentially has 3 "zones". The 1st zone is just the built in transmitter. The second two zones are from the mini jack port on the USB-UIRT. This mini jack port is a stereo connector, so two different zones can be used via the single jack.

There are cables available for sale that work with the port, but you need to be sure they are wired correctly. See here for some more information: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4634

There is another option depending on your cable/satellite box. Some of them allow you to setup different remote addresses for each box. The Shaw Direct boxes in Canada allow this (I think they support 3 different remote addresses). After setting the addresses on the cable/satellite box, you would teach SageTV (via the USB-UIRT) the codes for each box (since each box now has different codes). Then you would just position the USB-UIRT so that it can send IR codes to all the boxes at once, this way you don't need any external emitters connected to the USB-UIRT. Each box would have different IR codes, so they won't interfere with one another. Again, this depends on whether or not your cable/satellite box supports this feature.
As far as I know, only Shaw Direct/Echostar/Dish Network boxes support the multiple remote addresses (8 of them I think). Of course, if I was using Dish network today, I'd be using UPnP tuning via ethernet instead of IR.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-02-2017, 03:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
As far as I know, only Shaw Direct/Echostar/Dish Network boxes support the multiple remote addresses (8 of them I think). Of course, if I was using Dish network today, I'd be using UPnP tuning via ethernet instead of IR.
And Bell Canada, which uses basically the Dish equipment.
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, WD Green 2 TB x 1 and WD Red 6 TB x 2 for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., Sage 9.1.8.770, HDPVR x 2, BellTV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 4 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), Placeshifter x 1
Old 02-02-2017, 04:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
And Bell Canada, which uses basically the Dish equipment.
Yeah, I think I was confusing Shaw with Bell.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

You can purchase them direct from John, or via Amazon.

http://www.usbuirt.com/order.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Jon-Rhees-USB.../dp/B005TX3LOU
Old 02-02-2017, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I already have the unit, I just need the cables/IR emitters. Do you recommend one that would feed two, seperate, independent boxes?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
do you have an answer to the original question?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post

Thanks, that should get me started. I saw there were some two and three emitter cables on Amazon, but wasn't sure if they'd work properly, as they appear to be mono, aka one IR emitter.
As a Shaw user, the eight addresses come in quite handy. Surprised more companies who use RF don't realize this.
As would be expected, most of the links in those threads are dead. The joys of internet history. Essentially, the 1/8" plug is a tip-ring-sleeve type plug, so to drive two independent boxes, a stereo-to-left-right cable would work, feeding two IR emitter cables, correct?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Essentially, the 1/8" plug is a tip-ring-sleeve type plug, so to drive two independent boxes, a stereo-to-left-right cable would work, feeding two IR emitter cables, correct?
When I had two cable boxes to control that's how I did it. Had a stereo splitter that fed two emitters.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

It would also be pretty easy to wire this up yourself. Step 1 is to cut off a plug from an old set of headphones and you could then either wire it up to two female jacks for the IR emitters, or cut the plugs off of the IR emitters and twist the wire onto the plug that you created in step 1 using the ground for both emitters, tip for one channel and ring for the other.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
When I had two cable boxes to control that's how I did it. Had a stereo splitter that fed two emitters.
The Hauppauge Blaster cables I have are smaller, 2.5mm I think, but the output of the USB-UIRT is 3.5mm ( 1/8") does that sound right?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The Hauppauge Blaster cables I have are smaller, 2.5mm I think, but the output of the USB-UIRT is 3.5mm (1/8") does that sound right?
Hauppauge uses 2.5mm. The jack on USB-UIRT is 3.5mm ( 1/8"). But be careful not to buy the dual (or triple) emitter listed on Amazon, as all of those emitters would be controlled via a single zone.

Instead, what's needed is a 1/8" Y splitter to take the "stereo" tip-ring-sleeve output to two separate "left" and "right" (tip-sleeve) connectors, which connect to two SINGLE emitters (Zone 1 & 2). Zone 3 continues to blast from the USB-UIRT's internal emitter.
System #1: Win7-64, Core2-Quad Q9400, 8 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB Mem, 2TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The Hauppauge Blaster cables I have are smaller, 2.5mm I think, but the output of the USB-UIRT is 3.5mm ( 1/8") does that sound right?
The stuff I had was all 3.5mm.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Dish Network have Ethernet tuning now??

I know DirectTV boxes supported it for a long time since I used to tune it with Ethernet

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Dish Network have Ethernet tuning now??

I know DirectTV boxes supported it for a long time since I used to tune it with Ethernet

Bill
Yes. It's not the same protocol/method as the DirecTV boxes, and I'm not sure what all boxes are supported, but it utilizes UPnP to do it. Some info over here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63608

Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
Hauppauge uses 2.5mm. The jack on USB-UIRT is 3.5mm ( 1/8"). But be careful not to buy the dual (or triple) emitter listed on Amazon, as all of those emitters would be controlled via a single zone.

Instead, what's needed is a 1/8" Y splitter to take the "stereo" tip-ring-sleeve output to two separate "left" and "right" (tip-sleeve) connectors, which connect to two SINGLE emitters (Zone 1 & 2). Zone 3 continues to blast from the USB-UIRT's internal emitter.
so you CAN have a third box, but it needs to be line-of-sight to the UIRT?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

OR, if you don't mind voiding the UIRT warranty and are handy with an soldering iron, you can:
open the UIRT case
remove the PC board
locate the IR emitter (flasher)
(note the polarity emitter)
replace it with standard IR flasher with the plug cut and leads tinned. (cut the cable length as required)
route the cable out the rear of the case
BTW you can check the operation of the flashers with the camera on your cell phone.

if you want to isolate the emissions from other devices, you the can mask the IR with electrical tape. I have (old) Xantech 'mouse' emitters and blocking covers you may be able to find covers for your brand of emitter.

Last edited by Paul H; 02-03-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Using the aforementioned splitter (Make sure you are using a stereo to mono splitter, that breaks out Left and Right channels, and NOT a stereo/stereo "Y" splitter), and these cables http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-to-DTA-...QAAOSw7aBVJGPl, I am controlling 2 Xfinity STBs w/o using emitters.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, exactly, and you will have to shield the IR receivers on your other boxes so that it doesn't hit them as well.