SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

Getting SageTV V9 onto an existing V7 WHS v1

I am attempting to get my 32 bit WHS (V1) SageTV V7 server machine up to V9. So far I have had no luck.
Before any attempt listed below I made sure to stop the service (I don't run sagetv.exe on that machine), and did a fresh reboot after installing/copying any files. Prior to starting I also copied off my SageTV directory/files so I could recover.
After each failed attempt I copied all the files/folders in SageTV back to before I started everything.

I saw mention in a message thread that all I needed was the SageTVJar zip from the latest version. Only things in there was SageTV.jar and a SageTV V7 xml file. That didn't work.

I tried running the V9 WIndows installer and as we all know, that was a no go. It errored out on the EVR (EVS?) and stopped without writing any files/folders at all.

Not only didn't either of those work, but in the process I also lost the SageTV service button/control in the Server Console. It said it was still installed, but no way to get to it.
In order to recover and get everything back to the way it was I had to re-install the last version of SageTV v7 which got back my SageTV Service access in WHS server console. Then I shut everything down once again and copied back my SageTV folders/files from before I started the attempts.

Is there a way to get V9 onto a WHS V1 machine, and if so can someone give me a road map?
I do have V9 working fine on my old backup server running Windows 8.1. Can I just poach the files from there, and if so which files do I need?

I saw a message about getting it onto WHS with a link to an entry in the FAQ file, but there's some kind of hosed links in there. The initial link in the message to the FAQ file puts you at the part about WHS (I don't think it said which version) and there was a link on instructions on how to do it. However that link took you to the top of the FAQ which just said use the Windows Installer. Clicking on that link just reloaded the FAQ and plopped you at the Windows Installer message. Some kind of messed up loop.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Last edited by waynedunham; 03-07-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I honestly don't know. I think you may be the first instance I've read of someone still running sage on the old WHS. That said, I see no reason why dropping in the current jar.zip file wouldn't work. What was the symptom of it not working? That might help us to identify the issue.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

A manual copy from a working v9 may be the only solution

At minimum copy the sage.jar and then the sagetv7.xml from the STV folders. You could try copying more but as i do not know WHS i am not sure when too many files will be an issue. Trial and error with folder backups is your best bet.

k
Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post

I tried running the V9 WIndows installer and as we all know, that was a no go. It errored out on the EVR (EVS?) and stopped without writing any files/folders at all.
waynedunham,

Is this the error you're getting:
STEVRPrstr.dll failed to register?

If so, go ahead and click the ignore button and allow the installation to continue and finish. This is the approach I used back when I installed V9 on WHS V1; and for me V9 worked fine on WHS V1 despite the installation error. I have since moved on to V9 on WSE 2012 R2, however I still have a virtual WHS V1 instance to play with.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I honestly don't know. I think you may be the first instance I've read of someone still running sage on the old WHS. That said, I see no reason why dropping in the current jar.zip file wouldn't work. What was the symptom of it not working? That might help us to identify the issue.
The service button in the WHS control panel disappeared. Control panel said it was still installed, but no way to get to it.
Also, and probably the biggest factor was if I started the SageTV service either manually, or tried to load SageTV.exe (which said V9 BTW) it would just sit at the initializing SageTV service notification.
Looking at Task Manager in either instance, starting service manually, or trying to load SageTV.exe, it showed SageTV Service as running, but at 0% cpu. It would never go above 0% cpu even leaving it for over a half hour.

This was all with stopping the service (don't normally run the exe anyway), putting the latest jar.zip contents into their proper location in the SageTV folder hierarchy.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
A manual copy from a working v9 may be the only solution

At minimum copy the sage.jar and then the sagetv7.xml from the STV folders. You could try copying more but as i do not know WHS i am not sure when too many files will be an issue. Trial and error with folder backups is your best bet.

k
Tomorrow I think I'll try copying the SageTV Jar file, SageTV??.xml and all the Sage EXEs over from the working V9. My only worry is any problems between the working versions being on Win8.1 and trying to get them to work on WHS v1.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fescue View Post
waynedunham,

Is this the error you're getting:
STEVRPrstr.dll failed to register?

If so, go ahead and click the ignore button and allow the installation to continue and finish. This is the approach I used back when I installed V9 on WHS V1; and for me V9 worked fine on WHS V1 despite the installation error. I have since moved on to V9 on WSE 2012 R2, however I still have a virtual WHS V1 instance to play with.
Yes, that was the error, and I did try "ignoring" it, and the installer just stopped and went back to the desktop, not writing byte 1 out to any file or folder in the destination folder (a test folder I created)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Sage User

Another question: How much space do you have left on your C: drive? WHS V1 only allocates 20GB for the system drive and 20GB can fill up quickly after several years of use...is it possible you've reached that limit?

Last edited by Fescue; 03-07-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fescue View Post
Another question: How much space do you have left on your C: drive? WHS V1 only allocates 20GB for the system drive and 20GB can fill up quickly after several years of use...is it possible you've reached that limit?
I've been running into that for years on the machine regretting every time I see the warning about running out of space on the Sys drive that I hadn't made the sys drive larger during the initial install of WHS.
I have done things like setting the fanart path to one of the other drives (I've got the system drive, D: drive, and 3 other HDs set up as regular drives after migrating away from the limitations of drive pool years ago).
I just moved/deleted/uninstalled some other old stuff before attempting this and had about 5mb free before I started.
I just took a look and I've got just under 4gb free on the Sys drive right now.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Sage Icon

I just want to thank everyone for offering help to try and figure out why it won't install on such an antiquated OS.

2 main reasons why I have procrastinated so long in moving onto something else.

1) All the other OS options I have on hand right now are 64 bit and I rely on FW tuning of my 2 STBs hooked up to HD-PVRs which I would lose going to 64bit OS. I have a USBUIRT which I used a long time ago on my old server which didn't have FW, plus I only had one stb/hd-pvr then. When thinking of adding the 2nd stb/hd-pvr I recall reading all the horror stories of people trying to get 2 zones onto the USBUIRT, well actually the issues with trying to get the STBs to ONLY respond to *their* IR commands and having to create elaborate (and butt ugly) IR forts. Yuck!

2) the dead simple and super reliable backups built into WHS. I have it backing up my main cpu, the backup Sage machine, and my laptop every night. I have had to do a few file recoveries as well as at least 3 complete restorations over the years and they have always worked perfectly.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Might be worth looking into the cost of unRAID, and a different backup solution (alternatively, if you really like the WHS v1 backup solution, you may actually be able to run WHS in a VM on the unRAID server, where it would do JUST the backup role). The headless server/NAS landscape has changed a lot in the last decade.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Might be worth looking into the cost of unRAID, and a different backup solution (alternatively, if you really like the WHS v1 backup solution, you may actually be able to run WHS in a VM on the unRAID server, where it would do JUST the backup role). The headless server/NAS landscape has changed a lot in the last decade.
This is what I do--run WHS in a VM for backups. I was afraid when moving to a VM that it wouldn't activate, but it turned out fine.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I know there are alternatives to WHS backup. My buddy uses Veeam now that he has moved from WHS V1 to WHS 2011 for his SageTV machine.
I'll have to look, but I may still have a 32bit Win7 that I have never used.

The unRaid solution doesn't seem to give me much that I can see. By the time I've bought unRaid that is over half the cost of just buying a new 32 bit Windows OS if I have to buy a 32bit OS so I can keep using my FW tuning of my STBs.

I know a lot of people use and love Linux, I just have so many horrible memories of trying to get a "working" Linux through the years. I'd see all these raves about 'x' flavor of Linux being easy to set up and working nice. I'd try an install and when I could get it to actually work the performance was so atrocious, especially video related that it made the installation unusable.

I know that it has gotten much better in the last 5-10 years it is just that this old goat doesn't seem to have the will to learn Linux. That is hard for me to say since I was one of those people who held onto OS/2 way longer than most. I happily used command line utilities and was pretty fluent in it.
But now I just want to click on something and have it work without having to go back to the OS/2 days, or <shudder> Windows 3.1 days of manually editing config.sys to get a piece of hardware or software to work.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:24 AM
SageTVaholic

You only need a 32-bit OS to use firewire on windows. Firewire works fine on 64-bit linux/unRAID. That would get you the ability to run a 64-bit system, without actually losing anything.

And running unRAID isn't so much running Linux - unless you want it to be - it's more like an appliance that just happens to be built on Linux.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
The service button in the WHS control panel disappeared. Control panel said it was still installed, but no way to get to it.
Also, and probably the biggest factor was if I started the SageTV service either manually, or tried to load SageTV.exe (which said V9 BTW) it would just sit at the initializing SageTV service notification.
Looking at Task Manager in either instance, starting service manually, or trying to load SageTV.exe, it showed SageTV Service as running, but at 0% cpu. It would never go above 0% cpu even leaving it for over a half hour.

This was all with stopping the service (don't normally run the exe anyway), putting the latest jar.zip contents into their proper location in the SageTV folder hierarchy.
The problem where you get stuck on the Sage splash screen sounds like the Lucene.jar problem. Did you copy over the new version of Lucene.jar?

A lot of people had problems if there were multiple different versions of the Lucene jar file present (Sage would get confused and look in the wrong one). The latest version of Sage fixed that issue, so it should work now if there are more than one version present. However, if you don't have the right version there at all, you will probably see the same symptom.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You only need a 32-bit OS to use firewire on windows. Firewire works fine on 64-bit linux/unRAID. That would get you the ability to run a 64-bit system, without actually losing anything.

And running unRAID isn't so much running Linux - unless you want it to be - it's more like an appliance that just happens to be built on Linux.
I may have to look into this more, its just the whole "linux" tag that causes me pause. So many bad experiences in years past with full installs and "live" attempts off flash drives.

Getting very "Get off my lawn!" in my old age.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
The problem where you get stuck on the Sage splash screen sounds like the Lucene.jar problem. Did you copy over the new version of Lucene.jar?

A lot of people had problems if there were multiple different versions of the Lucene jar file present (Sage would get confused and look in the wrong one). The latest version of Sage fixed that issue, so it should work now if there are more than one version present. However, if you don't have the right version there at all, you will probably see the same symptom.
Hmmm, I'll have to check that out. When copying all the V9 stuff out of my Win8.1 V9 install to try and plug them into the WHS machine I noticed 2 lucene jars in the V9 machine. I ran the latest installer to put V9 on that machine so it must have resolved the issues while leaving the old lucene jars behind. I just looked and on that V9 machine in the Jars folder I have a lucene core 3.0.1 from 2010 and lucene core 3.6.1 with a 9/24/16 date.
Are those the ones you are referring to?

Would/should it make any difference if I'm trying to run SageTV.exe or just using the service? The only reason I tried the exe was because the service just sat at 0% cpu forever and I was hoping that maybe running the exe might "jump start" it. I tried with both the service running, and also killing the service and just running the exe. Either way it would just stall at the initializing service notification on the SageTV exe splash screen.

I'll put things back with the V9 files and verify I only have the most current lucene core and try again.

<fingers crossed>

Last edited by waynedunham; 03-08-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage Icon

Attempt results from running V9 installer on WHS v1

Here's what I got from the log when trying to run the V9 installer on WHS. Same issue as described before with it choking on the evr dll. Here's the last few lines from the log file the installer generated. Prior to that in the log file everything looked like it was working fine.

Code:
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:02:24]i323: Registering package dependency provider: {8B6AC38F-8C43-43A9-8395-13719C1F9CD0}, version: 9.0.13.536, package: SageTVSetupMSI
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:02:24]i301: Applying execute package: SageTVSetupMSI, action: Install, path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Package Cache\{8B6AC38F-8C43-43A9-8395-13719C1F9CD0}v9.0.13.536\SageTVSetupMSI.msi, arguments: ' ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT="1" MSIFASTINSTALL="7" INSTALLFOLDER="C:\Test"'
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
[070C:165C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.
[070C:165C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i319: Applied execute package: SageTVSetupMSI, result: 0x80070643, restart: None
[070C:165C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i318: Skipped rollback of package: SageTVSetupMSI, action: Uninstall, already: Absent
[070C:165C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i319: Applied rollback package: SageTVSetupMSI, result: 0x0, restart: None
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i329: Removed package dependency provider: {8B6AC38F-8C43-43A9-8395-13719C1F9CD0}, package: SageTVSetupMSI
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i351: Removing cached package: SageTVSetupMSI, from path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Package Cache\{8B6AC38F-8C43-43A9-8395-13719C1F9CD0}v9.0.13.536\
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i372: Session end, registration key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6cce7879-a122-4b50-8791-0f19d990f715}, resume: None, restart: None, disable resume: No
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i330: Removed bundle dependency provider: {6cce7879-a122-4b50-8791-0f19d990f715}
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i352: Removing cached bundle: {6cce7879-a122-4b50-8791-0f19d990f715}, from path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Package Cache\{6cce7879-a122-4b50-8791-0f19d990f715}\
[13B8:086C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i371: Updating session, registration key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6cce7879-a122-4b50-8791-0f19d990f715}, resume: None, restart initiated: No, disable resume: No
[070C:165C][2017-03-08T08:04:36]i399: Apply complete, result: 0x80070643, restart: None, ba requested restart:  No
Old 03-08-2017, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

If you've got two lucene jars on the whs install, remove the older/lower version one. The 'fix' (which is really a workaround) for the lucene problem is implemented in the launcher, not the jar file, so that likely is not going to get fixed by simply copying the jar and xml from the zip file over. You'd need to also copy over the exe's (SageTV.exe, SageTVService.exe, and maybe even SageTVServiceControl.exe), though honestly, if you just remove the conflicting lucene jar file, and copy in the v9 jar and xml file, you'd probably be up and running just fine on your WHS machine.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If you've got two lucene jars on the whs install, remove the older/lower version one. The 'fix' (which is really a workaround) for the lucene problem is implemented in the launcher, not the jar file, so that likely is not going to get fixed by simply copying the jar and xml from the zip file over. You'd need to also copy over the exe's (SageTV.exe, SageTVService.exe, and maybe even SageTVServiceControl.exe), though honestly, if you just remove the conflicting lucene jar file, and copy in the v9 jar and xml file, you'd probably be up and running just fine on your WHS machine.
Still no joy. In the process of doing this I also noticed that I didn't copy the new stuff out of the V9 commons folder over to WHS. This time I did that as well as copying in all the EXEs and deleting the older lucene jar.
Still 0% cpu on sageTV service whether started from the WHS console or killing the sagetv service via task manager and starting the service from the v9 sagetvservicecontrol.exe.
A slightly different oddity, especially since we're trying to run SageTV v9. I tried killing the sagetv service and running sagetv.exe (latest V9). This time it doesn't even get to the splash screen and throws up a dialog about not being able to set up the jvm and to "reinstall Java 1.4". This seemed to be the only difference after putting the V9 commons folder changes onto WHS.

I have Jave v6 and Java v7 on the WHS machine, while on the V9 working Win8.1 machine I only have Jave v7.

Looks like maybe it is time to unwrap that unused 32 bit Win7 I have or try the unRaid thing. Time to pull out a spare machine and do some testing I guess. ;(