SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Sage Icon

Hard drive Spin down or not?

Do you guys set the hard drives to spin down after an x amount of minutes?

I always set it to "never" and have good luck with it as I haven't had a drive failure for several years. Now that the number of drives in my server has gone up quite a bit, I'm thinking of setting it to spin down to reduce power consumption.

I'm sure there's some debate whether to spin down or not and how it affects the life cycle of the drives. It's probably better not to get into that debate. I just want to know from real experience if you guys let it spin down or not and what is the average life cycle of your drives?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do not spin down.
BOOT: 1x 80GB SSD (Intel X25-M G2)
DATA: 4x 1TB (WD10EACS, WD10EACS, WD10EADS, WD10EARS)
Going about 2 years now.
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) • JavaRE 1.6.0_37 • 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) • Win7 x64 • Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz • 16GB PC3-10600 ECC • ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) • APC Back-UPS RS 800 • STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Sage Expert

Spindown for power savings, and more importantly, heat. The only real downside I see is anytime a rercording is called up from a spun down drive there is a small delay while it spins up and you get a spinning circle until the drive comes online. Interestingly enough the only hard drive failures I've had in the last few years (knock on wood) have been from a bad batch of Seagates that were used in different systems in very different operating environments.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Most drives today use liquid bearings and are quiet enough and efficient enough to not need spin-down. I personally do not use power saving techniques except shutting the server off during extended non-use periods. If you are looking for extending the longevity of drives your biggest culprit is heat and fluctuating power. So make sure you have enough air-flow to keep the drives relatively cool and that you have a power supply that is of pretty good quality. Using a UPS doesn’t hurt either. Unless you have a traumatic event overheating, jilting the drive while it is running, or power surges, flickers, and brown outs your drive should run fine for many years. Typically my drives are replaced for size issues well before failure.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetreL View Post
Most drives today use liquid bearings and are quiet enough and efficient enough to not need spin-down. I personally do not use power saving techniques except shutting the server off during extended non-use periods. If you are looking for extending the longevity of drives your biggest culprit is heat and fluctuating power. So make sure you have enough air-flow to keep the drives relatively cool and that you have a power supply that is of pretty good quality. Using a UPS doesn’t hurt either. Unless you have a traumatic event overheating, jilting the drive while it is running, or power surges, flickers, and brown outs your drive should run fine for many years. Typically my drives are replaced for size issues well before failure.
I don't care much about noise as the server is located in the back room. I rather keep the drives spinning too, but since I have so many drives, 7 and counting, I'm looking to reduce power consumption since the server runs 24/7. And the drives are cooled properly so I can't recall the last drive failure. I replace my drives every 2 or 3 years. I'm gonna set it to spin down after 20 minutes of inactivity and see how it reduces power consumption. Just wanted to get opinions from fellow SageTV users.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I put my server to sleep. Thats a sort of spin down too And I wake it with a WOL. With win7 its up and running in no time.

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Just wanted to get opinions from fellow SageTV users.
Heh, yeah sorry that was mine!