SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question SageTV Vs. Theatertek

For a long time the dvd feature in Sage hasn't worked or at least hasn't worked to my liking. It wasn't a big deal as I was using Theatertek and preferred having a program dedicated to dvd playback. Been using TT for almost a year.

Over the weekend I decided to play around with the DVD features in sage (sageMC) and now, I can't decide what I like more!

The reason for me choosing TT is I heard it had the best playback quality for dvd s/w. Thats it! I was only looking for the best picture quality. Over the weekend, I compared the picture in Sage and theatertek back to back, and I don't "think" I see any difference. <Brain hurting> Both softwares are using the Nvidia decoders so where would the difference be?

The only thing stopping me from changing to Sage is the possible PQ loss and I like having FSE (fullscreen) for only dvd playback. (FSE disabled in Sage)

TT (2.4) completely lacks a user interface compared to the UI in Sage but that doesn't make me want to switch players just yet.

I need some opinions. Please provide supporting details.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
The only thing stopping me from changing to Sage is the possible PQ loss and I like having FSE (fullscreen) for only dvd playback. (FSE disabled in Sage)

Thanks!
? You have elected to disable full screen and wish you didn't?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
? You have elected to disable full screen and wish you didn't?
Thanks,
I choose to disable FSE in Sage because I am often doing other quick tasks like internet, tweeks, ect... Being able to bring a window on top of sage comes convenient. With DVDs, I almost never interrupt and FSE in TT is fine.

Both softwares play great with FSE enabled or disabled but I get absolutely zero stutter ever with it enabled.

Full Screen Exclusive is no biggie but that was one of the benefits I found running a separate application for DVD.
Be great if Sage could enable FSE for only during DVD playback
Old 05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks,
I choose to disable FSE in Sage because I am often doing other quick tasks like internet, tweeks, ect... Being able to bring a window on top of sage comes convenient. With DVDs, I almost never interrupt and FSE in TT is fine.
You can go back and forth in Sage with FSE enabled. Sage just (now) gracefully drops out of FSE when you take it out of fullscreen (and goes back when you set it back).
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

True. The wife just doesn't get the whole FSE thing so disabling it just made things easier for her.

Maybe TT will perform higher since its not a whole media center program and its dedicated to dvds?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
True. The wife just doesn't get the whole FSE thing so disabling it just made things easier for her.
Does she do tweaking and stuff?

Quote:
Maybe TT will perform higher since its not a whole media center program and its dedicated to dvds?
I kinda doubt it.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Does she do tweaking and stuff?
haha I wish she did the Tweaking! She mostly switchs for internet or AIM

Quote:
I kinda doubt it.
This is my feeling too. Dissappointing to have spent 70$ on a dvd program when sage is all that and more. When I say more, I mean the GUI.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Sage User

quality issue

The installation of theatretek installs the nvidia mpeg decoders and it then uses them. these contribute to its rep for looking really good.

now that these are installed on your pc you can use them in sage and benefit from them as well.

you say you are using them in both players so this is why you probably cant now see a difference between them
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Dissappointing to have spent 70$ on a dvd program when sage is all that and more. When I say more, I mean the GUI.
Not really $70 considering that one way or another you'd have had to spend some money to get the Nvidia decoders - maybe more like $40.

Regardless, at least for me TT offers a MUCH better UI (for DVD's only of course), far superior aspect ration control, the best bookmarking system available in a DVD program, better ff/rw, and true IP control (if you're into home automation).

All in all, for me the best is to use TT (launched via Sage) for DVD playback (both hard drive rips and on disc) and Sage for everything else.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use TT for DVD playback, and Sage for pretty much everything else. It's funny, but I consider the UI of TT one of its best features. I like that there isn't a visible interface while I am watching a movie. I wish the media browser was more full-featured, but it allows me to browse my ripped DVDs.

Perhaps it is because I use a programmable remote control. I use an MX-700, and I find it much easier to control DVD playback with different control layout on my remote than what I use to control Sage. That is one thing with TT: the ease of use is pretty dependent on how well your remote is set up (unless you use a keyboard).
Old 05-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You can go back and forth in Sage with FSE enabled. Sage just (now) gracefully drops out of FSE when you take it out of fullscreen (and goes back when you set it back).
It goes back into FSE only upon quitting and relaunching... FSE doesn't even work at all in vista... FSE has many negative things, it's probably because sage has never spent the time or effort to fully impliment it properly.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer View Post
It goes back into FSE only upon quitting and relaunching... FSE doesn't even work at all in vista... FSE has many negative things, it's probably because sage has never spent the time or effort to fully impliment it properly.
Toggle Full Screen or ctrl+shift+F seems to work fine for me, particularly since v6.x has been released.

Last edited by camus; 05-15-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
Not really $70 considering that one way or another you'd have had to spend some money to get the Nvidia decoders - maybe more like $40.

Regardless, at least for me TT offers a MUCH better UI (for DVD's only of course), far superior aspect ration control, the best bookmarking system available in a DVD program, better ff/rw, and true IP control (if you're into home automation).

All in all, for me the best is to use TT (launched via Sage) for DVD playback (both hard drive rips and on disc) and Sage for everything else.

-PGPfan
I appologise for putting down the UI in TT, that was unfair. What I really mean is for someone who has 250+ ripped DVDs to the HDD, it stinks for a media browser. I must say that out of the other dvd softwares TT takes the cake.
Currently, I have a button on my harmony programed as the "open". This shows me the dvd titles and cover art but no drescriptions or anything else. Is there more that I am missing in TT (media browser)?

PGPfan (edit: or anyone else)- How does sage launch TT for you? Can you view your dvds in sage, when you choose one it launches that movie in TT? Or, do you launch TT, then choose a movie?

I'm starting to like the idea of going hybrid between TT and sage.

Last edited by jdamore; 05-15-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
Uhm, ctrl+shift+F seems to work fine for me, particularly since v6.x has been released.
Same here. Well, for the short time I had FSE enabled (WAF). That was 5.x for me.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
Toggle Full Screen or ctrl+shift+F seems to work fine for me, particularly since v6.x has been released.
Sure that puts it back in full screen mode, but not FSE for me... i've experienced this with all versions. Studdering is still present for me until I quit and relaunch.