SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 AM
SageTVaholic

The other thing to think about, is, if you've got a Sage extender connected to the TV, what would you need the built-in DLNA client for?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
That would add to size drastically and most wouldn't like that alone let alone the price difference.

But seriously you don't even have this yet an already starting a wishlist to replace something you don't have.... Wow
I'm just not sure how it would drastically increase the size. The only thing that would need to be added would be the extra connector (transformers are easily built in these days. Micrel already produces a 3 port switch with a DFN package version on the horizon.

I'm an engineer....nothing technical is every really perfect. However, I know that you produce the best you can at the time and try and include what you couldn't do in the next gen. The reason I keep with Sage is their continuous move towards adding what their user base want. And sometimes some users don't know what they want until they hear somebody else may want that. Nothing against the HD300...it is a great improvement to the 200.

HD100 = Dec 2007
HD200 = Dec 2008
HD300 = Sept 2010
HD400 = Q3/Q4 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The other thing to think about, is, if you've got a Sage extender connected to the TV, what would you need the built-in DLNA client for?
There are things more than DLNA out there. DLNA I believe is what helped spark the "app" type model in TV's. Things like Google TV are not that far off. Yes, I love Sage...but it doesn't always have everything I want. For example...I know the hooks are in place for Netflix support; but when? A significant portion of modern TV's have Netflix built in already...I would like the option to use it.

--------------

I've been on Sage since the 1.x era. I've used sage with clients, placeshifter and extenders for years. I have so many licenses i'm not sure the total anymore. I have setup 5 different families with Sage setups.

More than that, I listen to my wife and what she wants. She wants that TV flat against the wall. She actually wants to put a wood frame around it and leave it 24/7 just for the "slide show" feature sage has built in. I'm just trying to make her dreams "real" and keep it as technically mature/viable as possible....
Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

More than that, I listen to my wife and what she wants. She wants that TV flat against the wall. She actually wants to put a wood frame around it and leave it 24/7 just for the "slide show" feature sage has built in. I'm just trying to make her dreams "real" and keep it as technically mature/viable as possible....
My tv's are flat against the wall with the hd300 behind them. Some tv's have 2 cat5 runs, but besides that most situations require a remote location for flat mounting (ie put your boxes somewhere else and run a hdmi run with a switch)

I really don't see the added value in this to me it would create more headaches for most users.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post
I'm just not sure how it would drastically increase the size. The only thing that would need to be added would be the extra connector (transformers are easily built in these days. Micrel already produces a 3 port switch with a DFN package version on the horizon.
Not necessarilly, depending on how they do it they might need some more ASICs/chips, some more traces on the PCB, etc. The HD300 board is rather full as is.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

I think a programmable remote (at least be able to train the TVs power buttons, etc) would be the highest thing on people's list. Of course many people (myself included) already use a programable remote, so personally I don't need it. But I can see it going a long way in making SageTV be accepted in many households.

There shouldn't be a reason to need to use two remotes: one to turn on the TV, and the SageTV remote to do everything else!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

My question would I want that in my sage that is stupid. Plus why not have the tv have that option or any device honestly i just rather get a switch for my network devices. That would be like saying my a/v recevier needs to have a switch. Leave sage to develop more imporant thing than a stupid switch you can pick up. Because then some one would say o this switch not that great. thats just like when people that buy those all in one home entiertament system and then says the sounds not that great you pay for what you get.
2-HD200, Win7pro64bit,AMD Athlon II X4 quad620 / 2.60GHz,4gb Memory Speed MHz: 800,320hd for os, scsi 80gb recording+comcerial cutting then transfered to 2tb for tv and movies. 1 HDHR 2x250 nas for other media and a small whs server for backup only
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I think a programmable remote (at least be able to train the TVs power buttons, etc) would be the highest thing on people's list....

There shouldn't be a reason to need to use two remotes: one to turn on the TV, and the SageTV remote to do everything else!
The HD300 remote does this already.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

HDBase-T in the HD400

I HOPE HDBase-T is successful. No more HDMI, power, or any other connectors. Just one ethernet cable.

I cant wait to get my HD300 though!!

Last edited by jdamore; 09-08-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Sage Expert

VESA mounting holes. There have been a few mini PC's to come out that have VESA mounting holes so you can mount the computer on the back of a TV/monitor to keep it out of the way.

Since the Sage extenders are getting so small, and the addition of the IR extension cable allows the extender to be "out of sight". Here's a picture to illustrate: http://hardwaregadget.blogosfere.it/...cer%20Revo.jpg
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
VESA mounting holes. There have been a few mini PC's to come out that have VESA mounting holes so you can mount the computer on the back of a TV/monitor to keep it out of the way.

Since the Sage extenders are getting so small, and the addition of the IR extension cable allows the extender to be "out of sight". Here's a picture to illustrate: http://hardwaregadget.blogosfere.it/...cer%20Revo.jpg
That is the WORST place onthe back of the TV to mount something, because it is, by virtue of it being the mounting point, the thickest point of the TV. Putting something there, even through-bolted, means that an extra 1.5" the tv has to be away from the mount. The only way it makes sense is, as in the picture, with the TV on it's stand. Wall mounted, especially with the size of the HD300, it would make sense to have it nestled in one of the alcoves on the back of the TV (top half, or bottom half, depending on the TV).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 AM
SageTVaholic

As for HD400 wishes, I'd request HDMI-CEC support. Forget needing a programmable remote, it'd be great to be able to use CEC to control the receiver's volume, the TV's power, etc... automagically!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
The HD300 remote does this already.
Good to know! I had missed that capability!!!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
The only way it makes sense is, as in the picture, with the TV on it's stand.
I'm sure there are many people (like myself) who don't wall mount their TV's. Also, if you opt to use the VESA mounting holes for a PC or extender, I don't think you can even use them for wall mounting anymore.

Quote:
Wall mounted, especially with the size of the HD300, it would make sense to have it nestled in one of the alcoves on the back of the TV (top half, or bottom half, depending on the TV).
But I don't think most TV's have mounting holes in that location.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

We're talking about a switch on the HD400 and a VESA mounting solution. I'll take this moment to announce that SageTV has done their job right and met most consumer's needs.

A switch? Cmon. Why are we even talking about this?

I personally want an invisible HD400. That would solve the mounting issue, AND the switch issue because you won't be able to see it so who cares about where it is mounted, and you can stick your switch where the invisible HD400 is and now you can only see one box. And maybe SageTV should design a special switch with dim LEDs.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
But I don't think most TV's have mounting holes in that location.
True, but the HD300 is so light, it really doesn't need 'mounting holes'. Adhesive Velcro is more than capable of holding it up, combined with proper tying of cables, and you can put it there, and have the TV as flush to the wall as your mount will allow.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
I HOPE HDBase-T is successful. No more HDMI, power, or any other connectors. Just one ethernet cable.

I cant wait to get my HD300 though!!
This standard should replace HDMI Soon.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...i-dead-hdbaset
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
We're talking about a switch on the HD400 and a VESA mounting solution. I'll take this moment to announce that SageTV has done their job right and met most consumer's needs.
...That is with the assumption that Sage will add Netflix streaming and the like by way of software/firmware update on the HD300 prior to the release of the HD400.

If they still donít have some form of native support for that (read: not Play On) either in stand alone or in extender mode, then that will most likely be request #1 for an HD400 (and there will once again be voicingís of Sage being behind the competition and late to the party with important features.)

Yeah, yeah. Boo hoo, ďitís not even released and people are complaining about missing features, etc. etc.Ē but the reality is, 2 years from now (assuming a rough product cycle of 2 years here) if Sage doesnít have native support for prominent internet based content, itís going to look out of date.

-Suntan
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
As for HD400 wishes, I'd request HDMI-CEC support. Forget needing a programmable remote, it'd be great to be able to use CEC to control the receiver's volume, the TV's power, etc... automagically!
The HD300 already shows up as an HDMI-CEC (well technically an Anynet+) device for me. Doesn't do anything of course, but it's definitely got the hardware and at least the drivers to be able to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
If they still donít have some form of native support for that (read: not Play On) either in stand alone or in extender mode, then that will most likely be request #1 for an HD400 (and there will once again be voicingís of Sage being behind the competition and late to the party with important features.)
The good and bad thing is the HD300 already has all the hardware necessary so it's just a software and probably more-so licensing issue.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The HD300 already shows up as an HDMI-CEC (well technically an Anynet+) device for me. Doesn't do anything of course, but it's definitely got the hardware and at least the drivers to be able to support it.
That's good. CEC is a very simple protocol on a single pin of the HDMI port, so as long as it's getting to where it will show up in CEC (AnyNet+ for your Samsung), then it is at least responding to the device queries, and any further integration should just require some firmware work.

The key features I can see being of use, would be redirecting volume controls (properly handling a System Audio Mode command from a receiver), and ActiveSource commands (to turn on and select the proper components when either the extender is selected from the TV menu, or turn on the tv/receiver/everything else in the chain when the extender is turned on.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

That's kinda where I was going with the post. With the addition of the DRM chip and HDMI 1.3, the HD300 should be able to handle future streaming addons and other upgrades in software. Other things SageTV just doesn't seem to want to do, like BDJava support. I'm not pushing for that either since the menus on BDs are terrible.

There isn't a lot people can complain about for hardware. Any updates that sagetv wants to make now shouldn't be limited by the lack of hardware to do it.

HDMI 1.4 with ethernet, maybe a place to put an internal hard drive. A faster processor. HD baseT. Those are all that is left. I'm sure there will be something new we want, but for now it hits all my needs.