SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Sage User

Any ideas on when we'll hear a new announcement?

Hey folks,
Anyone have any ideas of when we'll hear an announcement from Jeff or anyone from Sage on what they have been working on and when it will be available for us? Do you think it involves the ability to record or simply to purchase and stream? Will it be a replacement for cable ala Hulu Plus or possibly a complete replacement for Cable/Dish/Verizon Fibre?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Not sure about any timelines or if SageTV will be available to users outside of Google Fiber service but you can find clips of SageTV v8 on YouTube.

Just search for Google Fiber TV.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think I've given up on ever hearing any announcement. I mean, how many software programs does Google sell? It's just not in their business model
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Sage Icon

Google Fiber IS what they have been working on.

As already stated, it may never get out of the Google Fiber relm, And if it does, GF is still being beta tested. My guess, if this is going to go public outside of KS, it will be atleast a year. And by then something else will have come along I am sure (hope).
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Sage User

how many software programs does Google sell?

They sell Android. That's a pretty serious bit of software.

With Google Fiber, Google is selling bandwidth, content, hardware, and software. There's no reason in principle that they shouldn't be willing to unbundle some of that (hardware and software) in order to sell it in markets where they are not (yet) selling bandwidth. As I see it, the reason they have not done that yet is that they have their hands full trying to get the Kansas City prototype to work, and work well. Once Google Fiber in KC is a going concern, I should expect that they will consider selling SageTV v8 to the rest of us.

I don't expect it to be soon, but I am not worried about it as long as SageTV v7 continues to perform like a champ.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Google Fiber IS what they have been working on.

As already stated, it may never get out of the Google Fiber relm, And if it does, GF is still being beta tested. My guess, if this is going to go public outside of KS, it will be atleast a year. And by then something else will have come along I am sure (hope).
so it has been confirmed 100% that the project they are working on is google fiber? i thought that was speculation but had never been confirmed.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughesjr View Post
so it has been confirmed 100% that the project they are working on is google fiber? i thought that was speculation but had never been confirmed.
Yep, it's confirmed. Jeff hinted that there might be more than just Google Fiber when it launched, but we haven't heard anything solid. I think someone posted a screenshot somewhere of a Google Fiber TV box system info screen saying SageTV v8.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 PM
SageTVaholic

If you look at the 4:30 part of this video you will see that the System Info screen from Google Fiber shows:

DVR Java version: SageTV 8.1.1.3 - Client
Server DVR Java version: SageTV 8.1.1.3

You will also see similarities to the SageTV system info screen.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Not sure if anything is 100% in this industry, but thats what Jeff is calling it for now. As reggie14 stated, Jeff eluded to another (same?) app being released after this (GF) was completed. No one knows when that will be, if it will be.

But many thanks to Jeff and Google for keeping these boards open, and support of Sage guide data etc.

Screen shot from video:
Attached Images
File Type: png SageTV.V8.png (78.9 KB, 308 views)
Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Sage User

Quote:
If you look at the 4:30 part of this video
Awesome thanks - never saw that before.

Quote:
But many thanks to Jeff and Google for keeping these boards open, and support of Sage guide data etc.
Yes I totally agree.

Quote:
Jeff hinted that there might be more than just Google Fiber when it launched, but we haven't heard anything solid.
From watching the video and just knowing what Sage used to do you one would hope that they would release a google branded closed box sage server and extenders with tuners in them which is not quite as great as having your own PC running the software but would be nice - just wish with my current Sage setup I had a way to record syfy channel - I get all the networks in the clear so can record just about everything I need - just need to get the syfy channel too then all would be good for quite a few years running 7.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
just wish with my current Sage setup I had a way to record syfy channel - I get all the networks in the clear so can record just about everything I need - just need to get the syfy channel too then all would be good for quite a few years running 7.
Why can't you do this with an HD-PVR in your system connected to a cable box. I have been using two of these in my system for years.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Why can't you do this with an HD-PVR in your system connected to a cable box. I have been using two of these in my system for years.
Do you have to use an IR Blaster to change the channels?

I was thinking about this but wasn't sure on the complexity of installing it and wasn't sure about paying the additional money for a separate box.... How difficult was it to set up - if you have been using it for 2 years sounds like you are pretty happy with it?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

IR is one way to change channels but there are other options that may work such as firewire, IP, serial, etc. It doesn't add too much complexity IMHO but that depends on your point of view - I have always used STBs with my TV recording going back to a TiVo over a decade ago.

I use firewire to change channels on my two HD boxes and I use IR (with a USB-UIRT) to change channels on an SD cable box.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Sage User

firewire to change channels would be an awesome way to go for me - do you need a set top box for that - did you purchase ones or lease from cable company? If it is possible to purchase one I think I'd love to go that route? Do you have a model you would recommend or a good guide to follow?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I am in Canada - we have the same cable infrastructure as the US, including the same cable boxes, but there is one difference - you can buy cable boxes from your cable co. So I bought mine years ago, but most places in the US you have to lease.

I have used SA3250HDs and SA4250HDs with Sage - Motorola cable boxes are also popular and many people using Sage have them and use firewire. There are lots of threads here about this but you need to be running the 32 bit version of Windows since the drivers don't work on 64 bit and there are no specific 64 bit drivers.

IR is not a bad option either. The best case is to buy a USB-UIRT which costs about $50 but it can drive 2-3 cable boxes and it is very well integrated with Sage.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
firewire to change channels would be an awesome way to go for me - do you need a set top box for that - did you purchase ones or lease from cable company? If it is possible to purchase one I think I'd love to go that route? Do you have a model you would recommend or a good guide to follow?
Best way to answer your questions would be if you posted who your TV provider is -- set-top boxes in the US typically only work with "their" cable/satellite company. It's a little different in Canada also.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Best way to answer your questions would be if you posted who your TV provider is -- set-top boxes in the US typically only work with "their" cable/satellite company. It's a little different in Canada also.
Cable Provider is Comcast - Lancaster, PA - running Windows Vista (think it's 32 bit)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
set-top boxes in the US typically only work with "their" cable/satellite company. It's a little different in Canada also.
I am pretty sure this is pretty much the same in Canada. You can buy the box from your cable co but you can only use it with that cable co. The most widely used boxes are Cisco/SA and Motorola and the satellite providers (Bell, Shaw) use the same boxes as some of the US satellite providers.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am pretty sure this is pretty much the same in Canada. You can buy the box from your cable co [...]
In the US you can not BUY a set-top box that will work with cable companies, you can only rent them monthly. US cable companies will not activate set-top boxes that are not in their "inventory" somehow.

(Unless something has changed recently with cable providers).
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Same thing in Canada - you buy the box from the cable co although the boxes are sold through third party retailers like Best Buy, etc as well as directly from the cable company. They will not authorize a box unless the serial number of the box shows up in their system.

It is very much like cell phones that are tied to a carrier, except that you can't get the cable box unlocked.