SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Okay, it's the setting at the link below;

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

In order to use SageAlert, you have to "enable less secure apps"

You can search "enable less secure apps in gmail" on Google and read up on the risks, up to you.
Thanks, but that isn't the problem; smtp.gmail.com is an unknown host.

FWIW attached is the last error, and of course now that I actually look at it the install didn't go very smoothly - even though I un-installed it and re-installed twice - so I think I wasted everyone's time.

AND - more importantly - I know when I'm beat.

I didn't expect my question to get so involved, as it's not supported anymore, my apologies.

****************************** Mea Culpa *****************************

Zone Alarm.

I thought I'd try twitter and that didn't work, closed ZA and gmail works - although I have an aversion to them.

MANY MANY APOLOGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have checked this straight away - told ya brains on vacation.

Just need to find out what ZA is blocking as I DO need that - which I did.

I am available for whatever reasonably suitable punishment decided upon by the committee.
Attached Files
File Type: txt install_errors.txt (10.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: txt error.txt (1.4 KB, 76 views)
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
2 HD-100 Placeshifters - not connected.

Last edited by RBraverman; 09-28-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: I SREWED UP
Old 09-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBraverman View Post
I tried 465 and 587 and 26 (given to me by my hosting company, I do not use my ISP).

Google will not work, it will not/can not find smtp.gmail.com.

I've requested my host to see if they can give me a very bland outgoing server login - I've been with them for 20+ years so they know me - we'll see.

As of now nothing works.

Are you using gmail?
I just setup gmail and it works
Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Username: YOURUSERNAME@gmail.com
Password: YOURPASSWORD
Connect over SSL: checked
Sender address: YOURUSERNAME@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Sage Expert

I'm going to try and take this thread back to the original issue.

I've periodically had recordings where the show is being recorded. I've watched pieces of it while it's recording and it's looked fine and then at some point (end of recording time?) The recording disappears and there's no errors thrown that are visible in the normal alerts area. This has happened with Giants games more then once. Rest of Sage is fine with this happens. Other recordings being made at the same time have no issue.

Isn't happening very often (once every 2 or 3 weeks) versus the number of recordings I make (100 plus a week) so haven't bothered to pursue but since I saw this thread thought I'd throw this question out.

How would I go about troubleshooting this or finding useful data to guide my troubleshooting?

Thanks

Quote:
Lost the Dodgers/Giants game and Vinny last night - DTV IRD went down and I didn't know it. Had some errors, which I figured were the updates but were for failed recordings (2).

Is there a log of what was to have been recorded somewhere? So that I might be able to find another showing?
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 09-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
I'm going to try and take this thread back to the original issue.

I've periodically had recordings where the show is being recorded. I've watched pieces of it while it's recording and it's looked fine and then at some point (end of recording time?) The recording disappears and there's no errors thrown that are visible in the normal alerts area. This has happened with Giants games more then once. Rest of Sage is fine with this happens. Other recordings being made at the same time have no issue.

Isn't happening very often (once every 2 or 3 weeks) versus the number of recordings I make (100 plus a week) so haven't bothered to pursue but since I saw this thread thought I'd throw this question out.

How would I go about troubleshooting this or finding useful data to guide my troubleshooting?

Thanks
Now ABSOLUTELY NOT being a SAGE know-it-all, (but a life long Dodger Fan) the first thing that comes to mind is the recycle bin which I'm assuming you looked at? Also it seems to this unaided eye that if you looked in at it then the LiveTV buffer should have it, but if it doesn't that would lead down another path.

Just a start.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I just setup gmail and it works
Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Username: YOURUSERNAME@gmail.com
Password: YOURPASSWORD
Connect over SSL: checked
Sender address: YOURUSERNAME@gmail.com
It was a firewall problem - just wish I could use something OTHER than gmail.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Now ABSOLUTELY NOT being a SAGE know-it-all, (but a life long Dodger Fan) the first thing that comes to mind is the recycle bin which I'm assuming you looked at? Also it seems to this unaided eye that if you looked in at it then the LiveTV buffer should have it, but if it doesn't that would lead down another path.

Just a start.
Extra details.

When I "watched" some of the ongoing recording it was via an extender and it was by going to recordings and opening the ongoing recording.

There's almost never any activity on the "server."

Did not look in recycle bin as there's no reason the recording's corresponding file should have gotten moved to recycle bin, but fair enough, next time I'll look.

And when you say this

the LiveTV buffer should have it

How would I find what's in the "LiveTV Buffer"? I almost always watch via recordings almost never watch what I think of as Live TV.

And maybe another important detail is I don't necessarily notice the recording is gone until some time has passed. Visualize sequence as follows. Game recording starts at 7. Around 7:45 I tune into the recording and speed watch the first couple of innings. Around 8 or so I stop watching that recording and go out to dinner and a movie. Come home around 11:30 or 12. Game over, recording over, but now no recording.

Thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:36 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd probably do a hard drive scan first. Those sports events probably create some large files which might be more prone to hit a bad sector.

Are the games setup as favorites, and if so, what are all the other settings for that favorite, such as autodelete, how many to keep, etc.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Sage Expert

Would a file being written to hard drive hitting a bad sector make Sage just randomly delete the recording? Wouldn't have thought so. However, as I said to the recycle bin comment, fair point, and will do a scan (or bunch of scans as I have a bunch of drives.)

What I'm looking for though is how to figure out that this has happened and on what recording so that I can figure out what tuner and what drive were at play so I can look for patterns, but seems like there's not way to find that info once the recording is gone?

Yes recordings are always favorites.

My sports favorites have 30 or 60 minutes of padding depending upon team/sport.
Keep at most is set to 3 or 6 again depending upon team.
Auto delete not sure, if you have keep at most does that imply auto delete?

Will look at it further when I'm home tonight.

Thanks