SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

What do you say?

When you want to search the web, you "Google" it...

When you need directions, you "mapquest" it...

When you record a TV show, you "Tivo" it... oh wait, thats not right!

When talking with friends and co-workers, I find myself thinking of the right words to say for "I recorded it". Saying "I Saged it", well, just doesn't cut it especially if you don't know what SageTV is. Saying "I recorded it", is boring! Saying "I Tivoed it" is understood by most people but, that implies I own a Tivo and, I would never!

Maybe ill say something like "I Sage DVRed it" or stick to the boring "I recorded it".

I cant help but to think that part of Google's (likewise for Tivo) success is drawn from people saying to "Google" something to find your answer.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

I have the same issue so honestly I avoid the conversations by saying "I DVR'd it"

I try not to discuss DVR programs/hardware, pool chemestry, or politics. Everyone has their own opinions and you can't win
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Sage Expert

Usually I say I recorded it. Sometimes I catch myself saying "taped it" lol.

As far as search engines, I usually say I "Google haxed" it. This comes from playing chatroom trivia games in the past. If someone got a really tough question it was usually assumed that they googled' the answer.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

I usually just say I recorded it on my "home-built Tivo." If they look interested I go into more detail about Sage and its capabilities.

S
Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I usually just say I recorded it on my "home-built Tivo." If they look interested I go into more detail about Sage and its capabilities.

S
Yeah.. I find myself explaining what SageTV is very often. "Its a Tivo on steriods", "also serves my dvds, youtube, etc..". I have NEVER met someone who actually knows what SageTV is.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

I say, "I Tivo'ed it." ...and I know that's wrong. But, I haven't run into anyone that knows what Sage is. ...I do try to tell as many people as I can about Sage, and have even converted a BeyondTV person to Sage.

My girlfriend always corrects me though and says, "Uh.. yeah.. we don't have Tivo... We've got this computer gizmo, recording thingy." ...and that lends itself to even more confusion.

I have resorted to saying.... "I Taped It." ..and I still call CD's, albums.

Peace,

Wirenut
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Sage Icon

I once tried to say "recorded it on my SageTV", which got shortened to "recorded" then admitting defeat: "Tivo'd". I have recently switched back to simply "recorded" or "recorded on my computer".

For a while, I'm ashamed to admit, that I actually referred to my Sage box as my Tivo. I've forced myself to call it Sage now, and my wife even calls it that.

Maybe the saying should be: "My Sage advised me of that."
Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

We had guests last night and I ended up explaining what Sage is. I said "it is a pc based dvr and media center". I got a look.. "Its like a Tivo", I said. They're response: "Oooooooooh I get it"!

The good news:
We were playing "scene-it", a board game with an interactive dvd, I let the guests do all the controlling and they had absolutely no problems. Even after a few glasses of wine!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
I just say "recorded it" and I refer to it as my "DVR".

I think it's cool when I come to work and say "Hey anybody see that <whatever> show last night?" "No?...OK, I'll bring it in tomorrow". Then I show up the next day with it on my USB FLash drive and burn DVD's for anybody who wants it.

Or we're talking about some cool show at work and I say "OK, hold on...lemme add that as a favorite." Then I pull up Placeshifter and set it to record.

While all my friends and coworkers think this is cool, everybody passes it off as some elaborate techie thing that they couldn't possibly ever have the time or skills for. (Maybe they're right)
Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

"I recorded it"
"I DVR'd it"

Most of the time I'll throw in "...on the DVR that I built". If they ask questions, I explain. <smile>
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
"I recorded it"
"I DVR'd it"

Most of the time I'll throw in "...on the DVR that I built". If they ask questions, I explain. <smile>
Yeah, sometimes if somebody asks I'll tell them it's a "Whole-house DVR. Picture a really big Tivo that sits in a garage or back closet, that can record 5 shows at once, and every TV in the house can use it at the same time. You'll have one in about 5 years."
Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I like to say that I recorded it with my SageBox. That gets people going, what's that? you can record FIVE shows at one time?! no way! I even had to prove it to one of the service techs from Verizon, because he just could not understand why I didn't have their DVRs all over the house.... he finally admitted that the "SageBox" was indeed much cooler.

I also use "my HTPC" although it doesn't easily roll of the tongue.

I wish I could just run around saying "I told Hal to record it for me" but then again not everyone has seen that movie and my name is not "Dave"
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo View Post
"You'll have one in about 5 years."
LOVE THAT!!!