SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Talking Reinstall SageTV and reestablish preferences

My C:\ drive crashed and I had to install a new drive and reinstall windows Vista 32. I am now reinstalling all my programs.

I have a backup of my old hard drive including all my SageTV files.

Is there instructions for installing SageTV and then overwriting the new SageTV files with all my preferences from my old files?

I spent a lot of time setting up SageTV (about a year ago). It will take a lot of work to get back to the current state which worked great. I am looking for a shortcut since it will take a lot of trial and error to figure out what to do from scratch.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Since Windows was reinstalled, device IDs could be different & so on, so I do not recommend simply copying the properties file (which contains the settings). You can restore the old wiz.bin (the database), though.

I would install and configure the basics for SageTV & its tuners. After that, you could see what settings might be in the old sage.properties and/or sageclient.properties that you want to restore in the new setup.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Sage User

Similar to several other posts, I upgraded my WHS server and hoped to keep my current settings and recorded tv in the new set up. I installed WHS to a new hard drive in the new computer, installed sagetv for whs, moved my media to the new computer. I am able to access the ripped movies, music and photos, but no recorded tv. I understand that I need to copy wiz.bin from my old computer setup that has the database of shows. I tried to do that but then the sagetv in whs would not start. It just hung up when initializing. I have saved a copy of the new wiz.bin file before overwriting it with the old one.

Is there anything I need to do to get the old wiz.bin to work properly?

Thanks,

JT
Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Since Windows was reinstalled, device IDs could be different & so on, so I do not recommend simply copying the properties file (which contains the settings). You can restore the old wiz.bin (the database), though.
For what it's worth, I've done this many times. I think at least one time I did something even more extreme and I didn't just copy the sage.properties file, I installed Sage (and all the other software I had on the system pre-reformat), and replaced the entire SageTV folder.

I do strongly suspect you have to be very careful to make sure you really get your system in essentially the same configuration that you had it previously. I'm not sure about the device ID issue- perhaps I was just lucky and didn't run into that. I will say that was system was less complicated than many systems. The times when I did that I just had one PVR-250, one HVR-1600, and no IR blasters.

So, this is definitely one of those times when your mileage may vary. But, if you really want to try it, I don't think you can screw anything too bad. What's the worst that could happen? You have to reformat and start over again? That doesn't seem too bad, since it's really software installation and configuration that is the annoying and time consuming part.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbellush View Post
Similar to several other posts, I upgraded my WHS server and hoped to keep my current settings and recorded tv in the new set up. I installed WHS to a new hard drive in the new computer, installed sagetv for whs, moved my media to the new computer. I am able to access the ripped movies, music and photos, but no recorded tv. I understand that I need to copy wiz.bin from my old computer setup that has the database of shows. I tried to do that but then the sagetv in whs would not start. It just hung up when initializing. I have saved a copy of the new wiz.bin file before overwriting it with the old one.

Is there anything I need to do to get the old wiz.bin to work properly?

Thanks,

JT
Did you install java and wait until after WHS did all of it's security and patches updates before proceeding with the Sage install?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Did you install java and wait until after WHS did all of it's security and patches updates before proceeding with the Sage install?

Gerry
No I did not. I tried again after doing the above and it works well now.

Thanks.