SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD400 wish list

This was something I really hoped Sage would have put in, but maybe the next rev. With modern TV's all having Ethernet ports...I really didn't want to have to run two lines to TV area or hide another box. Is it possible the next time to put in a simple hub in the box. Thus, I can...in effect, daisy chain from the HD box to the TV...

Thanks in advance....owner of a melting credit card due to the HD300.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post
This was something I really hoped Sage would have put in, but maybe the next rev. With modern TV's all having Ethernet ports...I really didn't want to have to run two lines to TV area or hide another box. Is it possible the next time to put in a simple hub in the box. Thus, I can...in effect, daisy chain from the HD box to the TV...

Thanks in advance....owner of a melting credit card due to the HD300.
My HD-300 absolutely hated the hub I had, but after swapping it out for a switch everything was happy. I don't know if it is hubs in general or just an issue with that one (I only have one), I don't know.

That being said, I don't know popular that option would be. Adding a switch (2-4 ports) would up the power requirements and increase the cost quite a bit. I suppose you could post a poll to see how popular such an option would be. FWIW, the only reason I needed a switch is because my DishNetwork DVR is connected via Ethernet rather than telephone.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM
SageTVaholic

$25 gets you a five-port 10/100 switch that you can put next to your TV to avoid running a second cable.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
$25 gets you a five-port 10/100 switch that you can put next to your TV to avoid running a second cable.
That is still another piece of hardware I don't want to deal with especially when mounting a very thin TV very close to the wall. The reason I am excited about the HD300 is both how small it is and the IR cable. The recessed box I have holds the outlets and just enough spare room for the HD300. There is not enough room for another box unfortunately.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The reason I am excited about the HD300 is both how small it is...
And the reason they were able to make it so small is by leaving out extra connectors that most people wouldn't use.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

This has got to be a record. The HD300 isn't even available yet and we have a wish list started for its replacement

I'm waiting for the "SageTV version 8" wish list thread.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
And the reason they were able to make it so small is by leaving out extra connectors that most people wouldn't use.
I'm glad you don't think this isn't a worthwhile addition. But honestly, I have given legitimate reasons why I want a feature and you are giving me the Apple response of telling me why I don't need it and if I do want it I should pay more money.

More and more TV's will be plugged into a network. This is a fact. Last year alone they announced over 400 TV's with DNLA. This year it is 1000's. With Google and Intel getting to the fight...the amount will grow radically. In short, a network connected TV will be ubiquitous in the not to distant future.

And yes...there is enough room, rotate the HDMI 90 degrees and slide the USB over.

And yes...other CE products have done this (Sonos) already.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

It's not a bad idea at all. But not on the top of a must-have list of features for me. Upside: We have a year or two to debate the topic though
Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
More and more TV's will be plugged into a network. This is a fact. Last year alone they announced over 400 TV's with DNLA. This year it is 1000's. With Google and Intel getting to the fight...the amount will grow radically.
I think you are confusing the words CAN and WILL. Sure more TV's will probably come with network jacks. Will they actually be used by the mainstream consumer, my feeling is not anytime soon.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm glad you don't think this isn't a worthwhile addition. But honestly, I have given legitimate reasons why I want a feature and you are giving me the Apple response of telling me why I don't need it and if I do want it I should pay more money.
It's not a bad idea, it's just I'd bet 99% of Sage's HD Theater buyers would rather pay $149 for an extender without a switch, than $175 for one with one built in.

You've got to draw the line somewhere on features.

Quote:
And yes...other CE products have done this (Sonos) already.
A Sonos ZonePlayer costs $350+
Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
...and if I do want it I should pay more money.
Well, of course. All else being equal, more parts in the box means a higher pricetag. So you're going to pay more for it one way or another. The question is, should we all pay more so you don't have to buy a second box?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe by the time HD400 ships, it'll support hdmi 1.4 and might get ethernet over hdmi. If your tv supports hdmi 1.4, then your hdmi cable from your hd400 could also provide ethernet access as well

I think that if HD300 shipped with a built in switch, then it still wouldn't be enough for some people... I have HD200, PS3, Xbox, and Bell PVR all using a network connection, which I have to run off a small switch near my AV equipment.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Let's not forget, you can easily correct your problem by adding the supported wireless USB adapter.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

That would add to size drastically and most wouldn't like that alone let alone the price difference.

But seriously you don't even have this yet an already starting a wishlist to replace something you don't have.... Wow
Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Remote LED

The remote IR receiver on 300 is great improvement.

But... after my HD200 goes off line, usually because I did a reboot upstairs the kids run into the problem that they don't know why TV is not working. I have got them to now look to see what LED's are doing. Hiding the unit out of sight would be great if I could remote the LED's to discreetly let me know status of unit.

Maybe a custom HD400 IR remote receiver with status LEDs to let us know units status is needed. Or just a remote LED status cable as I am currently using a wirless Harmony remote and do not need IR reciever to be remote from unit behind TV.

I am going to have a play with an old optic fiber cable to see if I can make a little 'light' shine out from under the TV using the units front LED.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Also it would be great if it had a 7 speaker amp, could be recorded to directly, had a built in Blu-Ray Player, could update my facebook for me automatically, and could predict the weather more accurately than the local guys.

Sage has got to draw the line somewhere. You could tell Sage really listened to us on with the HD300 by adding an external IR receiver (completely surprised by this one), reducing the brightness of the LED, adding DTS decoding, and programmable television power/volume buttons to the remote.

I personally would NOT want a built in switch. It is one more thing to go wrong and I would rather choose the switch than be forced to use whatever cheap switch is integrated into the unit and if that switch were to go bad I could be SOL. Just sayin....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
The remote IR receiver on 300 is great improvement.
I really hate the Sage extender remotes. The buttons you want to use are not where they are convenient. I would like a remote more like the TiVo or DishNetwork remotes. They are both human factored very well.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Sage User

I guess I would rather see the TV itself have the Ethernet switch. Easier to hide the circuitry (and cost!) in the TV.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

It really isn't a bad idea. Personally, I'd probably pony up the theortical $175 for the version with the switch (vs 150 without the switch) but only once the HD400 fully supports gigbit

Although I too think it may only be a matter of time before you start to see network capable TVs with at least one extra network connection for convinience.

and to the guys that are distgusted that people would dare to talk about an HD400... What else is there to talk about right now? The 300s haven't shipped. Should we be asking one more time to make extra double sure that the HD300 really, really, really, really does support HD audio bitstreaming?

-Suntan
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
and programmable television power/volume buttons to the remote.
Now if there was just a way to program a learned macro to power on the Tv *and* switch it to HDMI1 output... Just saying.

-Suntan