SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

Wanted - Augmented Parental Security

Like many people, I've got children - 8, 5 and 2 years old.

There are many things I don't ant my kids watching that Sage records. I've set up Sage's parental controls on TV shows and imported videos but, in my opinion, they don't go far enough.

Has anyone either made, or though of making, a UI enhancement that might add some more levels of security to what Sage already offers?

For instance, I can now add a passcode to everything on sage. If someone tries to watch anything "worse" than PG or TVPG, then a password is required.

However, as my oldest gets older he can watch stuff that his younger sister can't. I'd love to see a tierd approach to the password. For instance, be able to set a password for each rating. So, let's say I set a password for TV14 and a password for TVPG. When anything worse than TVPG tries to play, the password box comes up. Depending on the password, different items can play. If my son enters the correct pw for TV14 then he can watch the TV14 show, however, if my daughter enters the pw for TVPG, then hers is rejected when she wants to watch the TV14.

Does this make sense? Has anyone though of something else?

In a perfect world, I'd really rather have a PIN system anyway when sage comes on, it wants your PIN. Not only could sage then be presented with a list of user preferences (sortings, etc) but it would also SHOW you everyting you are entitled to see. If I enter my PIN, then I see everything. If my daughter enters hers, only the kids stuff shows up.

Anyone thought of anything like this? That being said, I'm fishing here to see if anyone who develops for sage is interested.... in full discolsure, I don't have the time to learn Studio :-)

I mentioned to Sage, but was directed here to see if anyone was game to make a UI add-on similar to these ideas.

Thanks!

Stacy
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

This is exist in SMM for movies and will carry over to TV once mymovies gets tv support. It restricts at any custom level you want and you can have it per rating password(s) or per folder(s).
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
This is exist in SMM for movies and will carry over to TV once mymovies gets tv support. It restricts at any custom level you want and you can have it per rating password(s) or per folder(s).
That sounds great! What do you think the ETA is?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Many people have requested a "user" concept where you have to log in when you start Sage to deal with issues like this. So far Sage has not built this into their system.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Many people have requested a "user" concept where you have to log in when you start Sage to deal with issues like this. So far Sage has not built this into their system.
+1, This is the only big gap in the system from my perspective. User profiles would be perfect.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

It's funny...

It's funny that in 1997 the concept of a HTPC was theorized that it would operate this way. User's would have their own profiles, with favorites managed by a 'Software Agent'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qbR...eature=related
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
It's funny that in 1997 the concept of a HTPC was theorized that it would operate this way. User's would have their own profiles, with favorites managed by a 'Software Agent'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qbR...eature=related
hahahahahahaha.. this video brings up a good point. TV WARS! We use my profile or its monopoly