SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Gutted.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
Gutted.
Between this and Sean ... ditto.

I guess great things can't last forever.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Between this and Sean ... ditto.

I guess great things can't last forever.
Believe me, I'd like to keep using Sage. It's way better than anything else out there and I am less enamored with all of the streaming services than most people. I find it frustrating that I need to launch different apps to stream different shows. And don't even get me started about remembering which shows are on which streaming platform. The cable companies are idiots for losing their grip on a market they once dominated.

The bottom line is I finally reached the point where the extra cost of cable has exceeded the value of its advantages. I wish that wasn't so. I put my heart and soul into Sage for a long time including helping out with the Google Fiber implementation of Sage.

I'll be around the forums. The people here are good and very knowledgeable.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage Icon

Totally understand, Tom.

I can't even begin to express how much I appreciate all the independent developer work on Sage. Without it, my system would have been dead in the water 8 or 9 years ago. For television media, nothing compares.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Believe me, I'd like to keep using Sage. It's way better than anything else out there and I am less enamored with all of the streaming services than most people. I find it frustrating that I need to launch different apps to stream different shows. And don't even get me started about remembering which shows are on which streaming platform. The cable companies are idiots for losing their grip on a market they once dominated.

The bottom line is I finally reached the point where the extra cost of cable has exceeded the value of its advantages. I wish that wasn't so. I put my heart and soul into Sage for a long time including helping out with the Google Fiber implementation of Sage.

I'll be around the forums. The people here are good and very knowledgeable.
I fear for our future the way things are going. With each and every entity coming out with their own streaming service and in most instances locking their content out of any other streaming (or cable/sat) service.

We are all in for a world of hurt to the pocketbook. If we want to see all the shows we want to view we will all be looking back "fondly" at a time when we could get everything we wanted from a cable/sat company for a "mere" $150 a month and the added bonus that all our shows were on one system and one EPG.

There are already a ton of shows I'd love to be able to see but I cannot. I'd love to be able to watch the new Star Trek series but that is locked down to that networks streaming service that costs $$ every month. Lots of shows on things like HBO ($$$), Hulu, Netflix, etc.
People look at me funny, but I label all of these as "shows that nobody, anywhere, ever can see" (due to the cost and horrendous multitude of EPGs, etc.)
Old 11-24-2019, 08:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I fear for our future the way things are going. With each and every entity coming out with their own streaming service and in most instances locking their content out of any other streaming (or cable/sat) service.

We are all in for a world of hurt to the pocketbook. If we want to see all the shows we want to view we will all be looking back "fondly" at a time when we could get everything we wanted from a cable/sat company for a "mere" $150 a month and the added bonus that all our shows were on one system and one EPG.

There are already a ton of shows I'd love to be able to see but I cannot. I'd love to be able to watch the new Star Trek series but that is locked down to that networks streaming service that costs $$ every month. Lots of shows on things like HBO ($$$), Hulu, Netflix, etc.
People look at me funny, but I label all of these as "shows that nobody, anywhere, ever can see" (due to the cost and horrendous multitude of EPGs, etc.)
The cable companies brought it upon themselves. If they had listened to the consumers and offered "a la carte" channels they would be sitting pretty. Sometimes entrenched businesses can't see a future that includes big changes.

As an aside, in my previous career I was a manager at a software company that made a lot of money building and maintaining billing systems for telephone companies (both wireless and wireline.) Back in 1995 I told the CEO that we needed to prepare for the day in the not so distant future where billing systems (as we were building them) would not be needed because carriers would bill a flat rate and customers would be able to make as many calls as they wanted, to anyplace they wanted. They laughed at me.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
We will miss you and your contributions.

I just spent all day yesterday reformatting my old Sage Server (Windows 7 32-bit) to something more modern. Between carefully putting SageTV back, Plex and some other software, it was a 12 hour process. I started questioning why I was doing it!

But that explains this entire community, doesn't it? It's a labor of love.
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Old 11-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I just spent all day yesterday reformatting my old Sage Server (Windows 7 32-bit) to something more modern. Between carefully putting SageTV back, Plex and some other software, it was a 12 hour process. I started questioning why I was doing it!

I went through the same thought process several months ago. I went from a Vista 32 bit machine to a New Windows 10 64 machine. The installation of SageTV v9 64 bit was a bit tiresome.

It did awaken me to how important SageTV was to my TV viewing. The scary thought that it could go away at any moment was frightening. Since then I dove deeply into streaming (I had never had -- nor had a need for -- satellite/cable). My only experience at that time was a ROKU device and Amazon Prime.

Since then, I now have many devices that I use to stream with -- ROKU, Shield, Tablo, AirTV, HDHomeRun, SageTV, Channels DVR, PLEX, PlayOn, etc.. I also subscribe to a number of subscription services -- ATT TV NOW that I was a BETA participant (has it's own "BOX"), HULU, Showtime, HBO, ACORN, Britbox, Sling, etc.. (I still have over 82 OTA channels available to me)

After all that, I find that SageTV is far and away superior to any other method. That it has, for the most part, not been upgraded for over ten years is amazing to find it in that position. I will have to admit, however, that the Tablo Quad comes in at a close second... followed distantly by PLEX.

I am approaching 80 years old so it is way too late for me to contribute to keeping this program alive other than moral support... and, if asked, monetary support.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

As everyone else has said - thanks Tom, you have been a huge benefit to the SageTV community.

@RonBoyd - There is no reason that Sage should ever go away. The only thing that we really depend on is program data and this should continue to be available from SD. If that went away there would be other options that should work.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
@RonBoyd - There is no reason that Sage should ever go away. The only thing that we really depend on is program data and this should continue to be available from SD. If that went away there would be other options that should work.
Yeah, I know... but never say never.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

My first adventure in recorded TV was with a TiVo, but I live in Canada and TiVo did not support Canada, at least not at the time. So you had to buy a Series 1 TiVo, and install a hacked ethernet card. Then you had to download progam data using XMLTV, reformat it into a file that TiVo could understand, and transfer to the TiVo via FTP.

Anything in SageTV has been a piece of cake compared to that!
Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I'm proud to say (or perhaps gluten for punishment) that SageTV has been the only PVR I have ever used...ever. (only briefly did I dabble in Showshifter) Even before Cable companies started providing DVR's or TiVO, there was Sage for me. And by the looks of things, when I finally cut the cord in the future, that will still hold true. I can thank many of the Sage Gods for keeping the flame alive which allowed me to do this.
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Old 11-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Including helping out with the Google Fiber implementation of Sage.
Never knew that Tom. Do tell us more

Dean
Old 11-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
As everyone else has said - thanks Tom, you have been a huge benefit to the SageTV community.

True but items that you used to rely on starts breaking.
Example: BMT Metadata lookup doesn't work because thetvdb.com changed thier API.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My first adventure in recorded TV was with a TiVo, but I live in Canada and TiVo did not support Canada, at least not at the time. So you had to buy a Series 1 TiVo, and install a hacked ethernet card. Then you had to download progam data using XMLTV, reformat it into a file that TiVo could understand, and transfer to the TiVo via FTP.

Anything in SageTV has been a piece of cake compared to that!
But now, with OTA tuning, if youíre close to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, a TiVo would work great with a small antenna. Look for a used Premiere with Lifetime. Iíve found two this year at thrift stores, one for $6!
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-24-2019, 05:04 PM

Thank you tmiranda for all you have done to make SageTV the success it continues to be! I've used SageTV for OTA exclusively for a number of years. It works well using HD300 extenders and the 64 bit version really helps. Cable is really unnecessary for network programming. Netflix, Hulu, and Prime fill in most of the gaps.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
But now, with OTA tuning, if youíre close to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, a TiVo would work great with a small antenna. Look for a used Premiere with Lifetime. Iíve found two this year at thrift stores, one for $6!
I do use OTA with SageTV but there is still the issue with cable channels. The bulk of my TV watching is sports and for that you need cable - or streaming access to TSN and RSN which is $25/month for each service which gets you near the price of cable. Does TiVo work with HDTV from cable?
Old 11-24-2019, 09:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
True but items that you used to rely on starts breaking.
Example: BMT Metadata lookup doesn't work because thetvdb.com changed thier API.
Good point, I was thinking more about recording TV.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I do use OTA with SageTV but there is still the issue with cable channels. The bulk of my TV watching is sports and for that you need cable - or streaming access to TSN and RSN which is $25/month for each service which gets you near the price of cable. Does TiVo work with HDTV from cable?
Only if you have a cable card, and the CRTC sadly never mandated Canadian cable companies to offer them, as the FCC did in the U.S. But still, CBC, City, CTV & Global carry a decent amount of live sports. Just for Olympics alone a OTA, cheap TiVo would be good.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
We will miss you and your contributions.

Still, 10 years after the sale, thereís no better, complete, well rounded recording, playback system of various formats than Sage, even with all itís operational headaches.