SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Commercial Support for SageTV

I am a huge fan of SageTV. My enjoyment of the product is probably equaled to my frustrations. I don't want to insult SageTV's support but I am pretty sure it is just George. My personal belief is that if SageTV would ever take off in a huge way then there needs to be system integrators or some better support / installation for the product. I think it is apparent to the company since they are talking about creating a bootable USB thumb drive with an OS and fully installed version of SageTV to ease the installation. I would think that most of the people using SageTV are extreme techies or dangerous techies (I am probably the later) so this question may not apply here well but...

I was thinking about creating a company that's sole purpose (initially) would be to install, support and maintain SageTV installations. I don't know how SageTV would feel about it and I don't know if anyone else is doing this but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Just kicking the idea around for now.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
I am a huge fan of SageTV. My enjoyment of the product is probably equaled to my frustrations. I don't want to insult SageTV's support but I am pretty sure it is just George. My personal belief is that if SageTV would ever take off in a huge way then there needs to be system integrators or some better support / installation for the product. I think it is apparent to the company since they are talking about creating a bootable USB thumb drive with an OS and fully installed version of SageTV to ease the installation. I would think that most of the people using SageTV are extreme techies or dangerous techies (I am probably the later) so this question may not apply here well but...

I was thinking about creating a company that's sole purpose (initially) would be to install, support and maintain SageTV installations. I don't know how SageTV would feel about it and I don't know if anyone else is doing this but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Just kicking the idea around for now.

Thanks!

Neil
Many companies are doing this some mainstream some small (like myself) it is not a new idea and is being done by some integrators. Remember you will be supplying the support not sage so as long as you know the product inside and out you should be okay depending on your knowledge, but remember when you are installing tv products in people's home they expect it to work plan in simple and how well it works depends on your setup of hardware and installation and setup of network/components and the whole kit and kaboodle.

There was one mainstream company that recently added sagetv to their lineup of media center computers.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I think the Sage support is fantastic - it is one of Sage's strengths. Ever try getting support for Windows Media Center - it is pretty much non-existent for end users. And even when MS acknowledges an issue it can take them a year or so to fix it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am talking about something like 24x7 phone support and installation support!

If you don't mind getting a single email from SageTV at 10 pm once a night that might work for you...

Neil
Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

If you don't mind getting a single email from SageTV at 10 pm once a night that might work for you...

Neil
if you are selling it you are the oem and at that point you are responsible for helping your customer
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

I was in the hosting business supporting Windows and other very very challenging products (shopping cart software). You don't have to make the software to be able to support it. What is Tivo's support like? Obviously it is significantly less difficult to implement compared to SageTv but for this product to really be mainstream there has to be a larger support network...

Neil
Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was in the hosting business supporting Windows and other very very challenging products (shopping cart software). You don't have to make the software to be able to support it. What is Tivo's support like? Obviously it is significantly less difficult to implement compared to SageTv but for this product to really be mainstream there has to be a larger support network...

Neil
I think Sage's support network on these forums while not the largest is one of the best I have found period end of story.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

I will not argue with the activity of this forums. It is huge. The problem is there are lots of unanswered questions out there on these forums and it takes a level of understanding and expertise to use the content provided here. There is a huge segment of the population who SageTV isn't catering to because of the bigger learning curve and the requirements on the back end administration.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree, there is a need for in home and live remote control support for this product. I'd be interested in how/where you draw the line on support for non SageTV issues.

B
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I agree, there is a need for in home and live remote control support for this product. I'd be interested in how/where you draw the line on support for non SageTV issues.

B

I don't draw the line myself. They have to buy the whole system from me computer/sage and networking has to be setup by me. If not I don't support it and I tell the customers that up front. I see Sage on WHS only in a closed spec enviroment. If they change the specs or install new software I know immediately upon remoting in. This way I can support the entire system and if something goes wrong I don't have anyone to blame but mystelf to an extent. I also install with customers knowing they are on the edge of technology and changes/minor issues may crop up from time to time. They have to know this going in.

All that being said I have only installed 3 sage systems as my trial and run for selling more mainstream. So far they have been working great with very minimal support on my end. (less so than media center). I am letting this run for a year and will decide of that basis if Sage is something I want to purse more on the integration end but they do lack allot compared to W7 or VMC on the home integration front (lights, security whole house control etc).
Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree there's a need for "live" technical support for SageTV. The way Sage handles support now has some advantages and disadvantages. It's quite good at dealing with really hard-to-solve problems, particularly when they're caused by bugs in software/firmware, because we have nearly direct access to the developer. But, it's not as good as easier to solve problems. It works OK for simple problems- problems where you'll send an e-mail and George can tell you the full answer in one response. But things really get ugly somewhere in the middle, where you have to go back and forth for days with George over e-mail.

The forums are a great resource, but its not real-time either. Plus you're not guaranteed a response.

However, I don't think there's actually a market out there for offering tech support services for SageTV products. The number of Sage users out there is a tiny market to begin with, and I think most Sage users are geeky enough to solve problems without that kind of assistance. So, if you want to create this company just for fun, great, but I don't expect you'll make any sizable amount of money.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Reggie that is exactly what I am getting at. The user base currently isn't mainstream. We are all a bunch of computer nerds who know way too much about TV now

I am saying that I have been to people's home's who have fireballs and other devices and they are just plain confusing, difficult, unreliable, and expensive!!!

I love Sage and I don't claim to be an expert. Far from it but if I were to tailor a business around supporting the product I would do my best to get great at it!

Anyway I thought I would kick the idea around here and see what feedback I got. I didn't think by any stretch of the imagination that this was the target audience.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Over time, sage will be a little more mainstream. I think once the server on a stick is released, you will see a little easier mainstream integration. I think there will be a market for 'Sage Ready' servers after that point.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Neil
Ok, that's a different level then what I was thinking about - but does MS have 24x7 support for Media Center if you are having trouble getting a tuner to work in Vista MC?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have no idea what MS's support is however that doesn't make it good. Has Microsoft gotten good adoption on that product? It is probably one of their worst sellers and it cornered the market on cablecards. What what happens once cable cards are really open to all systems. Thats another story.

Regardless I am sure SageTV would prosper from a good integration and support team. It is a chicken and egg scenario. SageTV obviously isn't new but the novice isn't going to adopt it. I am a big computer geek and I haven't fully adopted it and I have had it implemented for at least a year now. Once it goes live in my house, it is going to be difficult to upgrade it and worry about breaking things. TV out in this house makes for unhappy wife and kids!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

i love that ideea. Very nice.
I have an problem, call the number, fixed my problem.