SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Sage Expert

H.265 Support

Just did some checking in on the ATSC 3.0 stuff, looks like South Korea is already rolling it out, and it's seeing some limited testing in the U.S. at present.

But the bigger issue/concern for SageTV(and/or OpenDCT?) is going to be the matter that the encoding format will be h.265 in nature. Something Sage doesn't really know what to do with as I recall.

Obviously not critical at this time, but certainly something to be placed on the agenda of things that should likely be addressed sooner rather than later based on the FCC's hands off approach to how this transition will happen. They're letting "the market" set the timeframe for transition.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Just did some checking in on the ATSC 3.0 stuff, looks like South Korea is already rolling it out, and it's seeing some limited testing in the U.S. at present.

But the bigger issue/concern for SageTV(and/or OpenDCT?) is going to be the matter that the encoding format will be h.265 in nature. Something Sage doesn't really know what to do with as I recall.

Obviously not critical at this time, but certainly something to be placed on the agenda of things that should likely be addressed sooner rather than later based on the FCC's hands off approach to how this transition will happen. They're letting "the market" set the timeframe for transition.
H265 works ok with SageTV 9 + Android MiniClient. (Most, if not all, Android TV devices hav hardware decoding for H265).
Old 07-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Sage Expert

Well, good to know Sage can at least play it back, so long as the device can support it natively.

My understanding however is that the server itself cannot do so in its own, as it needs outside help (OpenDCT) as it is in order to record a h.264 content stream.

Whichis perhaps is a bigger concern for the extender users, where the hd200's certainly predate h.265 and IIRC the 300's don't have h.265 either. They're going to need transcoding help(or replacement) once ATSC3 hits their market, granted, that's probably years away for most as of yet.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, good to know Sage can at least play it back, so long as the device can support it natively.

My understanding however is that the server itself cannot do so in its own, as it needs outside help (OpenDCT) as it is in order to record a h.264 content stream.

Whichis perhaps is a bigger concern for the extender users, where the hd200's certainly predate h.265 and IIRC the 300's don't have h.265 either. They're going to need transcoding help(or replacement) once ATSC3 hits their market, granted, that's probably years away for most as of yet.
SageTV could likely be updated to transcode to/from H265 on the fly, but I think that it would take considerable horsepower. I don't think HD200s or HD300s will be very good clients for H265 streams. The hope would be that we'd have either an open source HDXXX unit (I think Demo was working on something like this), or, the Android MiniClient gets some attention and we start to fill in the gaps there. (Personally I use only Android clients now, but all my content is H264 and H265, and I don't need embedded subtites and I'm less picky about audio )
Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

The apple tv os 11 beta has support for h.265 in it. This should be released in september. The apple tv is $150 so it is a reasonable hardware option. Of course the software needs done. If there is anyone with development experience wanting to possibly work on it with me let me know.

David

Quote: